Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zkribbler's Retirement House - Watch it being built!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh yes, I will. Count on it.

Soon as they unlock my thread and make me the head OT mod and let me pick the guys I want to help me and give me carte blanche on what I do.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

• I'm here!

This morning, Lancer & I caught a ride with Sho out to the site.

What a difference in perspective being here gives on the construction as opposed to just seeing it on the Internet. And what a pluthera of problems:

The sun should be rising in the E-ESE and setting in the W-WSW, right? Right?!? It should be rising out of the Mindinao Sea and setting behind the dock of the rock quarry. But as I'm standing in my yard, looking due south at my house, the sun is behind me. What's it doing back there?! My house is designed to shield off tropical sunlight from the south, not from the north! I asked Lancer about it, and he said he'd have the crew look into the problem.

Later, Lancer and I go down to his beach house for lunch. And afterwards, we ascend into the upper floor of his newly completed salacot. From there, I can really get a good feel for the prevailing winds (which tend to swirl some at ground level). Anyone who knows about tropical islands knows that the land heats the air, which rises, which draws in ocean breezes to replace the rising air. So the prevailing winds are always from the ocean to the center of the island. But as I'm sitting it the salacot, I realize that the winds are not coming from the ocean but are running along the coastline. Lancer confirms that these are the prevailing winds. But my house is designed to catch the maximum ocean breezes -- only it's set 90 degrees off.

So the sun is broken, and the prevailing winds are broken.

Sho comes and gets us because there's a problem. He's measured out to where the circumference wall will be running along the front of the property. There's three trees right where the wall should go. Lancer was made to tear down a wall on his property because it was built too close to the road. I don't want the same thing to happen to me, so I direct Sho to have the team build the wall on the ocean side of the trees.

As I'm wandering around the property, looking things over, I go into the framework of the house and notice another problem. I designed the house more as a beach cottage than as a beach house. It was supposed to be cozy. But the lot is huge -- a half a football field long. My house is just too small a house for such a large piece of property. And the rooms are just too cramped. It looked good on paper. It looked good in the pics. But now that I'm here, it just looks wrong. Lancer and I spend a goodly time discussing house to solve this problem. And of course, each solution comes with its own set of problems.

Then it's back to Lancer's Jagna place, where I set up Lancer's second computer. We've moved it from the hallway into my bedroom, so I can -- as I'm doing now -- post in the middle of the night without having the light wake up Tina and NetNet in the room next door. But the computer's all hinkie. All the icons on the desktop are gone. My new e-mail address is on Yahoo.com, but I can't log on from this computer because Internet Explore says Yahoo's security clearance won't become effective until 1/5/2006. [I can log on from Lancer's other computer]. I register on WePlayCiv.com, where's Lancer has been posting his latest pics, but that site won't let me log on because it says that I'm inputting the wrong password [I'm not].

In summation: The sun is broken. The wind is broken. The house is broken. And the computer's broken.

End: Day 1. From here on out, things get better. Guaranteed!

Comment

• Tell Lancer he's a sell out bastard. Schismatic site.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Still no replies in your Colonization thread over there Oerdin, you schismatic bastard you.

Think we got rained out of work on the house today.
          Long time member @ Apolyton
          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

• So what's going on? Zkribbler arrives to see his new house, apparently it's not to his liking , and the thread goes silent for over 2 months. Are you guys still talking to each other? What's the status of the house? Enquiring minds want to know!
            Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

• Originally posted by techumseh View Post
              So what's going on? Zkribbler arrives to see his new house, apparently it's not to his liking , and the thread goes silent for over 2 months. Are you guys still talking to each other? What's the status of the house? Enquiring minds want to know!

Its coming along fine, I have seen pics

Gramps
              Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

• The thread is continued over at WePlayCiv.com.

The house still has a long way to go. Monday, we poured the cement for half of the second floor.

Comment

Working...
                X