I really, really hate smokers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
    There's this little concept called a public good.
    Churches are a public nuisance.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

There's this little concept called a public good.
      Hence your hypocrisy, as you only think "the public good" is a sufficient rationale when it supports issues *you* deem worthy, while you reject it for others, like smoking prohibitions. There's no evidence gay marriages are bad for societies that enact them, there's plenty that smoking causes significant damage, if just in healthcare costs alone.
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

As an asthmatic, I say to hell with all of you. Chew tobacco, or the gum, or use a patch, if you can't do without the nicotine fix; you have no right to pollute my air. Certainly not to satisfy a personal vice. And yes, I know gum is a lot more expensive than straight-up tobacco. That can be fixed with even heftier cigarette taxes. Also floggings, and thumbscrews.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

BK, you've held every job you've had while living in countries that have large amounts of regulations concerning the exposure of employees to health risks.
          I've treeplanted. 'Workplace regulations' are laughable compared to that job. The only way they make money is by ignoring them.

We had the Gilded Age already and the associated horrors to employees. Society said "No" to that a long time ago. Stop living in the 19th century.
          Times have changed. Stop living in the 20th.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I've treeplanted.
            OH MY GOD! How did you survive TREEPLANTING.

!!!!!!!

If you can survive PLANTING TREEs then clearly there's no point to WORKPLACE PROTECTION LAWS.

Thank GOD FOR BEN. I have seen the light.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I've treeplanted. 'Workplace regulations' are laughable compared to that job. The only way they make money is by ignoring them.
              The fact that some business skirt regulations isn't relevant, the regulations still exist, and they exist for reasons that aren't related to sticking anything to anyone.

If you had gotten injured on the job thanks to a company violating OSHA standards or what have you, I've no doubt you would have been suing their asses off.

Times have changed. Stop living in the 20th.
              This makes no sense and is utterly meaningless. What?
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Hence your hypocrisy, as you only think "the public good" is a sufficient rationale when it supports issues *you* deem worthy, while you reject it for others, like smoking prohibitions.
                I have no issues with prohibition of smoking in publicly owned areas. I have issues with the regulation of private businesses.

There's no evidence gay marriages are bad for societies that enact them, there's plenty that smoking causes significant damage, if just in healthcare costs alone.
                Hence the term 'Nanny state'.

You failed to understand my argument. My argument is that marriage is a public good. You need to be arguing that gay marriage provides the same. Saying that it doesn't cause harm is insufficient in saying that it deserves tax support.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

You failed to understand my argument. My argument is that marriage is a public good. You need to be arguing that gay marriage provides the same.
                  Gay marriage is marriage.

Also, the public good argument is, how you say...a slippery slope.

Is it not in the public good to be healthy? So you are also in favour of public healthcare. Universal insurance -- also a public good.

Do you have the intellectual capacity to understand your inconsistencies?

Comment

I have no issues with prohibition of smoking in publicly owned areas. I have issues with the regulation of private businesses.
                    I sincerely doubt you do. You're not a LOLitarian, so you clearly are A-OK with regulating private businesses.

Wrong. The reason for smoking bans isn't to protect people who choose to smoke from themselves, it's to protect those that do NOT choose to do so. I pointed this out at least twice already.

You failed to understand my argument. My argument is that marriage is a public good. You need to be arguing that gay marriage provides the same. Saying that it doesn't cause harm is insufficient in saying that it deserves tax support.
                    If there were no tax benefits associated with legalized marriage, you'd therefore drop your opposition to it being legalized I take it. I guess you'd also be opposed by attempts to enact a Constitutional Amendment to prevent states from recognizing gay marriages. Good to know.
                    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

The fact that some business skirt regulations isn't relevant, the regulations still exist, and they exist for reasons that aren't related to sticking anything to anyone.
                      Regulations are routinely ignored as a part of doing business effectively. Regulations are drawn up by bureaucrats who have no idea of what it's like in the field.

The worst jobs we ever had were the government ones, because they just didn't make sense. The big mills who had a primary concern for profit were far more careful because these trees were their big investment. They were stricter in where and how we could plant, and better at maintaining the quality control over the entire job.

The government on the other had, would require us to hike in 5 miles to plant trees.

If you had gotten injured on the job thanks to a company violating OSHA standards or what have you, I've no doubt you would have been suing their asses off.

If you had seen the mountain of regulations we had to follow, it just gets a bit silly.

Comment

I sincerely doubt you do. You're not a LOLitarian, so you clearly are A-OK with regulating private businesses.
                        Just because one favours some regulation doesn't justify a particular regulation.

Wrong. The reason for smoking bans isn't to protect people who choose to smoke from themselves, it's to protect those that do NOT choose to do so. I pointed this out at least twice already.
                        If the business clearly labels that there is smoking permitted, then it is sufficient. If a patron choses to still attend then that's their responsibility.

If there were no tax benefits associated with legalized marriage, you'd therefore drop your opposition to it being legalized I take it. I guess you'd also be opposed by attempts to enact a Constitutional Amendment to prevent states from recognizing gay marriages. Good to know.
                        No, I wouldn't. Like I said in my first post, it makes about as much sense as having our national bird as a penguin. I don't believe it is in the power of the government to change what marriage means. One of the obligations that the government took on when it was first formed is to recognise marriage. That presumes there is already a definition of marriage that existed prior to the state. If that's the case, then changing what marriage means is no different then Canada having the penguin as our national bird. It makes no sense. You can call a square a circle, but that doesn't change the nature of the square.

Comment

Gay marriage is marriage.
                          And penguins live in the arctic.

Is it not in the public good to be healthy? So you are also in favour of public healthcare. Universal insurance -- also a public good.
                          It's an argument according to effectiveness. If you give a dollar to a church charity or a dollar in taxes to the government, which is better at achieving the same end? The church. Therefore, the church does not pay taxes on their contributions, because the church carries a load that the government would have to carry.

Do you have the intellectual capacity to understand your inconsistencies?
                          These aren't even good challenges.

Comment

Ben, times changed THANKS TO EMPLOYMENT LAW. Do you think the factory owners stopped mistreating their workers because they felt like being nice all of a sudden? They suddenly "saw the light"?

Please consider posting on here when you aren't smoking whatever you are smoking.
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                              *blink blink* What was wrong with Wiggy's posts? He's hilarious.
                              I didn't see what was deleted but jumping all over Asher was

I'm still laughing

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                                While we're on the topic, I don't see why churches need government benefits or why straight marriages need government benefits.
                                I'll agree with that, once govt starts social engineering its impossible for govt to treat us as equals under the law as every special interest now seeks "benefits" at the expense of others.

Comment

Working...
                                X