I really, really hate smokers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really, really hate smokers

I've lived in my current apartment in Toronto for 2.5 years now, with little issues. In the summer I'd have to frequently close my open windows as some idiot started smoking on their balcony, but that was it.

A few weeks ago, a new neighbour moved in nearby on the floor. He or she is a heavy smoker. I live in a building built in the '60s, and the ventilation pretty much sucks. Whenever they smoke, which is often, it immediately fills up the hallway with the heavy smell and very quickly wafts into my apartment. It's incredibly strong.

I've repositioned my Sharp air purifier near the front of my apartment which has helped a lot, but the smell is still incredibly persistent and incredibly annoying. I've now duct-taped all of the vents shut entering into my apartment but the seal by the door is not very good and the smell still permeates!

I'm seriously infuriated. I ****ing hate smokers, they really have no ****ing idea how much their disgusting habit pisses everyone else off.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Well, my upstairs neighbor is playing a ****ing saxaphone right now. Sadly, that's preferable to the ****ty jazz riffs he's been playing on his electric keyboard lately.

Comment

At least you can fix that with headphones or by cranking your own stereo.

You can't exactly fix the ****ing smell everywhere. It gets very cold very quickly if I open the window...
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I save the headphones for emergencies, like when my roommate is having sex.

Comment

Grow some balls and tell them to stop smoking in the apartment. I did this once and since I own a gun and an attack dog they started smoking (and living) somewhere else.

Comment

I don't even know which one is doing it. It might even be someone on another floor, I don't know how the ventilation is wired here.

Comment

You would make a terrible special forces soldier.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf View Post
                You would make a terrible special forces soldier.
                I have problems with authority. You are correct.

I'm more like the guy at the command posts that orders *****es like you to go find out where the smell is coming from and fix it. I can't be bothered to do it myself.

Comment

Do you some sort of resident council thing, what are those called? The tenants of the house come together to disgus and decide on things just like this, whether or not smoking is allowed inside, on balcony, etc. Are there any sort of rules in the building, anyways? No pets, no loud music after 10 pm? Time to suggest a new rule, I can't believe you are the only one bothered. If 10 tenants complain about the habits of 1, who is the renter going to lean on?

Just random thoughts. Needs me sleep...
                  I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun View Post
                    Do you some sort of resident council thing, what are those called? The tenants of the house come together to disgus and decide on things just like this, whether or not smoking is allowed inside, on balcony, etc. Are there any sort of rules in the building, anyways? No pets, no loud music after 10 pm? Time to suggest a new rule, I can't believe you are the only one bothered. If 10 tenants complain about the habits of 1, who is the renter going to lean on?

Just random thoughts. Needs me sleep...
                    I've complained to the management company (a huge management company owns a complex of buildings and I just live in one of many). They say they can't do anything because it's perfectly legal to smoke in one's private residences and there's nothing in the rentral contract about smoking restrictions.

Comment

Unfortunately, I smoke. I'll try to help you, though. Get a skunk for a pet.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Sometimes I really appreciate having a dysfunctional nose.
                        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Smoke weed. It'll cancel out the smell, help you relax, and it's a good way to support Canadian agriculture instead of a bunch of Carolina hillbillies.
                          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

No way. Ontario is famed for tobacco.

Have to smoke. It's good for the economy!
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I've removed all the bad childish sexual jokes... enough. Discuss the topic or get restricted.
                              Keep on Civin'
                              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X