No announcement yet.

I really, really hate smokers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let me put it to you this way - and I'll do this just once, if you want to ignore me, fine.

At one point, the moderation on this site was very much more strict, and we would almost certainly have banned a lot more people a lot more regularly, for stuff like this, and others. This would be in the time of MtG, from what I hear (that's pre-me posting in OTF), and UR, among others. We were told we were 'too strict' and should allow 'freedom of speech', whatever that is.

So now, we lightened up, and allow people to say pretty much whatever they want, as long as (give or take):
    1. It does not directly insult a poster excessively
    2. It does not incite riots
    3. It's not about illegal stuff

And we have been REALLY lenient with 1., particularly in your case, because it's been made clear that people don't mind a bit of insulting as long as it doesn't go too far.

If Ben were saying, "Da** you to hell, you ***", then sure, he'd be banned. At least from what I've read, he doesn't; he states his opinion that homosexuality is a sin, and bothers him. It's an ignorant opinion in my opinion, but that's the thing about free speech: if you want to be free to say your opinions, ignorant or not, other people have to be able to do so as well, as long as they aren't causing actual harm to others.

So grow a thicker skin and let Ben show how ignorant he is, or else leave and admit you can't take it. Whichever.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
      Let me put it to you this way - and I'll do this just once, if you want to ignore me, fine.

At one point, the moderation on this site was very much more strict, and we would almost certainly have banned a lot more people a lot more regularly, for stuff like this, and others. This would be in the time of MtG, from what I hear (that's pre-me posting in OTF), and UR, among others. We were told we were 'too strict' and should allow 'freedom of speech', whatever that is.

So now, we lightened up, and allow people to say pretty much whatever they want, as long as (give or take):
      1. It does not directly insult a poster excessively
      2. It does not incite riots
      3. It's not about illegal stuff

And we have been REALLY lenient with 1., particularly in your case, because it's been made clear that people don't mind a bit of insulting as long as it doesn't go too far.

If Ben were saying, "Da** you to hell, you ***", then sure, he'd be banned.
      But this is where you guys are missing the point! I wouldn't even mind if Ben did this, in fact I would prefer it.

Because what Ben is skilled at doing is more deeply insulting people than with superficial names, and he does it all with a smile that seems to fool most of you.

Names don't bother me at all, what does bother me is to see people intentionally and continually lobby with blatant lies and slander to a minority group to politik his way in trying to convince others to agree with him.

To me, this is an order of magnitude worse than simple name calling. Name-calling is superficial, but when someone's hatred and insults go far deeper than that -- let's say, for example, talking about how gay people don't commit to monogamy at all to a person who is well-known as a committed, monogamous gay person -- that it goes too far. I'm afraid the administration on this site isn't connecting the dots here.

What Ben does now is far more offensive to more people than if he just called everyone *** like faded glory did.

So grow a thicker skin and let Ben show how ignorant he is, or else leave and admit you can't take it. Whichever.
      It's not that I can't take it, I can -- but you guys can't take it when I hit back. I'm not going to play this game handcuffed because the Administration on this site is apparently incapable of understanding how offensive Ben is being.

The best thing to do is to cut my losses. Ben's going to keep posting here and you guys are going to let him continue to lie, slander, and insult all homosexuals with his polite smile, so there's really no point in staying 'round here for that. It's a shame because I do like the site overall, and I've grown to like most of the people here, but it's not worth it. Every time Ben posts his anti-gay slander it sets me off, and he does it with alarming regularity. As long as you are ignorant to how offensive he is with his comments, it demonstrates an administrative immaturity of this site and it's not one I will continue to patron.

It's not just me, you can PM and discuss this in private with the other homosexuals on this site. I'm honestly positive you guys don't realize how offensive this is, even after I've tried to make it clear. And that's just a shame.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• No, he knows the truth and he knows the issue, he just intentionally lies because he disagrees with and abhors homosexuality for many reasons.
        Mind if I ask what you perceive those reasons to be?

I think Poly folks would have a much different opinion of me had they known me back in 2000, and from before. I can and do change over time. You folks here have seen from when I left the Mennonite church to become a Catholic. I can be persuaded by reason, like I said most of the arguments here are one's I've been presented already and rejected for various reasons.

If you wish to go, that's your choice Asher. Best of luck.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Actually, I've noticed that the moderation here is very biased against homosexuals and in favor of people with more conservative views.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• talking about how gay people don't commit to monogamy at all to a person who is well-known as a committed, monogamous gay person
            The response was to Elok, who I prefaced the post by comparing his question to one I had asked myself back in 2000. AFAIK, Elok is similar to where I was then, a Christian, and so my reply was directed to him as an answer to the question that he asked. My answer wasn't the same as the one I got back in 2000, that answer is a rather different one that I'm not going to get into now.

It wasn't directed to you at all.

I could give you all the full answer I got in 2000 if you are interested.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• I'm willing to bet all your answers are wrong
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• From the POV of papa ratzi?

Comment

• You're bringing your family into this?
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
                    Names don't bother me at all, what does bother me is to see people intentionally and continually lobby with blatant lies and slander to a minority group to politik his way in trying to convince others to agree with him.
                    Asher, I like you a lot, but you let your temper control you. Even if he were doing that, it would hardly matter, because, well, can you name a single person he's come close to convincing over all these years? I can't, because his stances are patently ludicrous, and I've never seen anyone who wasn't already a homophobic ninny to begin with agree with them. He's the most notoriously illogical poster on Poly, and that's really saying something. It's like you're getting angry at somebody who's huffing and puffing to try and blow out the sun. Who gives a damn? He's never going to blow it out anyway.

And if you say I've never been offended like this, I'll be forced to tally all the mentions of invisible pink unicorns and flying spaghetti monsters and all that other horse**** that gets trotted out against believers in general each week. Yes, I have the choice to not be religious, but I assure you I feel quite aggrieved every time people suggest that my parish priest is the same as the grand inquisitor and we all want to burn books and blah blah blah.

Now, back on topic. Tobacco smokers: should they be forced to wear yellow badges with the Marlboro Man on them, or simply be rounded up into camps and "gassed" with healthy, nicotine-free air?
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Anyone else amused by the homonym for the nickname Ben has for the pope up a few posts?
                      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Huh. TBH, I didn't even get it until you mentioned it. I thought, "wait, WTF is he doing dragging the paparazzi into this...oh, who cares." But, yes.
                        1011 1100
                        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
                          I'm going to take an indefinite and perhaps permanent leave of absence from the site.
                          Well I'm not going to hold back.

This is the single greatest day in the history of Apolyton.

Now to convince him to stay away.

Comment

• Anyone else amused by the homonym for the nickname Ben has for the pope up a few posts?
                            Glad to see someone appreciates a little humour.

I actually LIKE the nickname of the Panzerkardinel. Nothing amuses me more then the image of an elderly fellow in his cassock driving a Tiger.
                            Last edited by Ben Kenobi; January 14, 2009, 22:19.

Comment

• Even if he were doing that, it would hardly matter, because, well, can you name a single person he's come close to convincing over all these years? I can't, because his stances are patently ludicrous, and I've never seen anyone who wasn't already a homophobic ninny to begin with agree with them. He's the most notoriously illogical poster on Poly, and that's really saying something. It's like you're getting angry at somebody who's huffing and puffing to try and blow out the sun. Who gives a damn? He's never going to blow it out anyway.

I really don't CARE about converting anyone. I just speak my mind. I used to but now I feel, life's too short.

If they agree, great. If they don't, fair enough.

And I think this threadjack has gone on long enough too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dale View Post
                                Well I'm not going to hold back.

This is the single greatest day in the history of Apolyton.

Now to convince him to stay away.
                                I, for one, am shocked and appalled by this statement from you Dale.

also
                                Order of the Fly
                                Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Working...
                                X