No announcement yet.

What in the name of god is bible study?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The english monarchy goes back before 1066, however that date was a clear break form the past and often history is taught from that date.
    There is unbroken succession from that point onwards, although interrupted during the Interregnum.

The Conquerer wasn't in the line prior and neither were the Danes.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

So far the crisis has been weathered. Bishop Desmond Tutu has rallied at least some of the African churches against this movement, and the rest of the Anglican Communion outside of Africa is on PECUSA's side.
      If by rallied you mean withdraw entirely from Lambeth and hold his own conference, then sure.

Why are you trying to paper over the schism? You've lost most of the Africans and most of your church, which is a pity because it was entirely unnecessary.

Calling your brothers and sisters in Christ bigots is a pretty low blow too.

Some rich and powerful friends of "Focus on Family" began paying Anglican archbishops in Africa to protest PECUSA's actions
      I interviewed folks in the Southern Cone here in Vancouver, who left the Anglican church of Canada, and they all said the same thing. They were disgusted by the role of their bishop, and wanted ecclesiastical oversight by someone who was actually committed to the teachings of Christ.

Saying that Focus and the Family is paying bishops is an outright lie. There are plenty of well-meaning Anglicans both in Africa and outside who are disgusted by the actions of a few episcopalians who have left the church and want to take the church with them.

The folks I spoke to were perfectly willing to leave, and they don't need any money from Focus in the Family.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

The problem is history teaches us homosexuality was not an "evil" part of society until religion began to become prevalent in those cultures.
        BS. Religion is prevalent in every culture, period, including the ones where homosexuality was not entirely considered "evil," like ancient Greece. Many ancient cultures did consider homosexuality to be evil, though. (Some other Greek poleis looked down on the Spartans for practicing it.)

Christianity certainly has a poor record with homosexuality, which I don't think anyone will deny, but it seems to come primarily from the ground up.

Religion has played a major, major role in forming the social norms and values in today's culture. Just think about it.
        Or social norms and values have played a major, major role in forming religion.

Which states/provinces are most religious? Now, which states/provinces are most against gay rights? It's almost a 1:1 correlation.
        Near-certain causation fallacy.
        "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

I do bible study every other week with a small group of friends from church. I find it very rewarding. Though I might ditch tonigh because a freind is have a 40th birthday party... that doesn't happen often.
          Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar
            BS. Religion is prevalent in every culture, period, including the ones where homosexuality was not entirely considered "evil," like ancient Greece. Many ancient cultures did consider homosexuality to be evil, though. (Some other Greek poleis looked down on the Spartans for practicing it.)

Christianity certainly has a poor record with homosexuality, which I don't think anyone will deny, but it seems to come primarily from the ground up.
            I've already clarified before you wasted my time with this post that I was referring to modern religions.

Or social norms and values have played a major, major role in forming religion.

Near-certain causation fallacy.
            You're right that there could be other factors. Perhaps people from deeply religious areas are just massively retarded, which results in both anti-homosexual bigotry as well as belief in God.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I tend to think most anti-homosexual bigots would be that way regardless of what religion they are. However, if they had a religion that they believed backed their hate they would definitly tend to flock to the religion. Birds of a feather after all.

Still, I wouldn't be so quick to blame the religion for the faults of the followers. The Bible teaches love, mercy, and foregiveness. Those who do not walk with these values in mind, but rather holds on to hate, malice, and spite are not true followers of the faith.

There are even Jews for Jesus now, that really thows me for a loop.
              Monkey!!!

Comment

You can keep telling me that the Bible teaches love, mercy, and foregiveness, but having actually read excerpts of the bible containing murder, stoning, and all that kind of fun stuff...I'll have to call you on your bull****.

The Bible, and its various incarnations and modifications and editions, has something for everyone. If you have an axe to grind with someone, you can find something in the Bible to diffuse that responsibility. It's why we had the Crusades, and it's why Christians overwhelmingly reject equal rights for gays.

The Bible is a crutch for people. Whether it's to provide faith to shelter you from the realization that life is pointless, or to provide an excuse to wage wars of bigotry and murder.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

The Bible, and its various incarnations and modifications and editions, has something for everyone. If you have an axe to grind with someone, you can find something in the Bible to diffuse that responsibility. It's why we had the Crusades, and it's why Christians overwhelmingly reject equal rights for gays.
                  First off, the Crusades were in response to Muslims invading and killing off the Christians in the East.

Secondly, rights only apply to individuals, not a collective.

Where does the charter list marriage as one of the fundamental freedoms along with the freedom to speak, freedom of religion, freedom of association and freedom of movement? All of these are exercised by individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

First off, the Crusades were in response to Muslims invading and killing off the Christians in the East.
                    That makes it okay. THANKS BEN.

Secondly, rights only apply to individuals, not a collective.
                    The right is to the individual to choose who they marry who is of legal age. I've mentally raped you on this very argument dozens of times, and I'm not going to waste more time on you with this.

Where does the charter list marriage as one of the fundamental freedoms along with the freedom to speak, freedom of religion, freedom of association and freedom of movement? All of these are exercised by individuals.
                    **** off with this rampant stupidity. Seriously. **** off. You know we've argued this dozens of times. There's no point. **** off.

Comment

BTW, Japher/Jaguar, Ben is the perfect example of why Christianity is evil.

He uses Christianity as an excuse not to think. It's how we get people like Ben and George Bush. Evil, there's no other word for it.

Comment

I use Christianity as an excuse to love
                        "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                        ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                        "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Flanders-type Christians are just as creepy.

Comment

Flanders-type Christian?! I take offense to that.

You're a Herbert-type homo.

"I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                            ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                            "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

In the absence of religion, good people will do good things and evil people will do evil things.

But it takes religion for good people to do evil things.
                              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
                                I use Christianity as an excuse to love
                                And I use love as an excuse to have sex.
                                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Working...
                                X