No announcement yet.

What in the name of god is bible study?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What in the name of god is bible study?

I've been reading a site about tablet PCs and found this list of planned usage of the aforementioned devices:
    At school as a high school guidance counselor
    -Creating schedules for students via ink
    -Keeping ink notes on students regarding various issues
    -Note taking during staff and inservice meetings
    -Presentations in classrooms to students
    At home
    -All of my everyday computing tasks: e-mail, IM, etc.
    -Keeping track of to-do lists, grocery lists
    -Note taking during a weekly Bible study
    -Daily news reading and blogging

Weekly Bible study? What's that? How do you do that? I've thought it had been studied and pulled apart to death already.

PS I guess the fact that it's done by a high school guidance counsellor appalled me the most.
    Graffiti in a public toilet
    Do not require skill or wit
    Among the **** we all are poets
    Among the poets we are ****.

Why is it appalling that a high school guidance counselor practices his own religion at home?

Wiki's definition:

In Christianity, Bible study is the study of the Bible by ordinary people as a personal religious or spiritual practice.

Comment

Lots of people are religious Christians, news at 11.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

This is a funny thread.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I guess there might be a confusion with the term bible study. Not so much rigor research, but more like studying the bible, as in reading it, discussing it, just normal people. Not trying to come up with new knowledge per se, but learning it themselves and just talking about it. That's bible study. No big deal.
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
            Why is it appalling that a high school guidance counselor practices his own religion at home?
            Well, appalling might be a wrong word, but I'd prefer my kids to be counselled by a less religious person. Someone who spends time every week to study the bible or the quran or the talmud is not someone I want to teach or guide my children.
            Graffiti in a public toilet
            Do not require skill or wit
            Among the **** we all are poets
            Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Oh, do high school guidance counselors have important jobs in Russia?
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by onodera
                Well, appalling might be a wrong word, but I'd prefer my kids to be counselled by a less religious person. Someone who spends time every week to study the bible or the quran or the talmud is not someone I want to teach or guide my children.
                Presumably devout Christians feel the opposite. So why should we favor you?

Comment

The first Rome fell to "heresy," the second to the Turks, and the third to atheism.
                  John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Felch
                    The first Rome fell to "heresy," the second to the Turks, and the third to atheism.
                    It'd be more accurate to say the third Rome fell to communism, but otherwise, yeah. If we could just get our act together and unify (and the collapse of the U.S. could be put off) I'd have high hopes for the American church.
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Well, atheism through communism. Six of one, and half a dozen of the other, so to speak.
                      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

This is a very intolerant prejudice. As long as this counselor is keeping his religion out of the workplace (as most people do) it's fine. Weekly bible study is certainly not the worst thing this person could be doing in their free time.

People who judge others based on their religious beliefs
                        In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Comment

What in the name of god is bible study?

Also, bacon & eggs w/ hashed browns on the side, what in the name of God is that?

Comment

Your kid probably wouldn't be able to go to school in the US then.

Technically, Church can be Bible study. Would you prefer that teachers not go to church? Seems kinda close-minded.
                            "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                            ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                            "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Weekly Bible study? What's that? How do you do that? I've thought it had been studied and pulled apart to death already.
                              You really don't know?

Generally what happens is a group of people pick a book of the bible to read and discuss, going through a chapter or so a session.

I did that myself with a good friend for the book of Romans, and you really get much more out of the bible through bible study then you would get if you read it just on your own.
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                              X