No announcement yet.

What in the name of god is bible study?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What in the name of god is bible study?

Originally posted by onodera

Weekly Bible study? What's that? How do you do that? I've thought it had been studied and pulled apart to death already.
    Christians study it weekly to re-interpret it so it can better fit their prejudices and agenda. It's always changing.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Well, appalling might be a wrong word, but I'd prefer my kids to be counselled by a less religious person. Someone who spends time every week to study the bible or the quran or the talmud is not someone I want to teach or guide my children.
      Every week? My gosh. Bible study is in addition to attending church every Sunday. You don't even know the depths of their depravity.

I know lots of folks who read some every day and make it a habit. Once a week is nothing, and anyone who goes to church every week will get their dose.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Protestants study it weekly to re-interpret it so it can better fit their prejudices and agenda. It's always changing
        I've yet to go to a Catholic bible study. They prefer rosaries...
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Well, appalling might be a wrong word, but I'd prefer my kids to be counselled by a less religious person. Someone who spends time every week to study the bible or the quran or the talmud is not someone I want to teach or guide my children.

I can think of many many many other qualities that I would care about more than if a guidance counsellor subscribed to a particular religion in their OWN time.

If a group of Christiand objected to an athiest guidance counsellor I would bet you would find their discrimination objectionable.
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

The first Rome fell to "heresy," the second to the Turks, and the third to atheism.
            To heresy? The First Rome fell to the Goths. The second to the Turks and the Third to communism.

Comment

Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous

Your kid probably wouldn't be able to go to school in the US then.

Technically, Church can be Bible study. Would you prefer that teachers not go to church? Seems kinda close-minded.
              YMMV, but I think a tolerable level of religiousness is going to church a couple times a year, like, to bless your cake and eggs before Easter and one more time when you're passing by, to light a candle. Just because it is some sort of a custom or a ritual.
              People who go to church every week are considered dangerously religious in my book.
              Graffiti in a public toilet
              Do not require skill or wit
              Among the **** we all are poets
              Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Cartimandua
                People who judge others based on their religious beliefs
                QFT.
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369

QFT.
                  Religious people who judge other people all the ****ing time.
                  Religious people who enact secular law to enforce their bigoted beliefs.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I actually gave a couple of bible studies in my youth. This gives me a certain insight into what it is.

Here goes...

A 'bible study' is when a group of people get together for the express purpose of... studying the bible.

onodera, you amaze me sometimes.
                    Long time member @ Apolyton
                    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

YMMV, but I think a tolerable level of religiousness is going to church a couple times a year, like, to bless your cake and eggs before Easter and one more time when you're passing by, to light a candle. Just because it is some sort of a custom or a ritual.
                      People who go to church every week are considered dangerously religious in my book.
                      Unfortunately, what's in "your book" doesn't count for much. In the theocratic United States, religionists - jews, christians, mulisms - have almost all of the jobs.
                      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I still can't understand how you can study something that has existed for almost 2K years. It must've been picked apart and scrutinized by thousands of theologists (I guess you're supposed to study the spiritual content, not the discrepancies between the translations or logical fallacies and contradictions), surely there must be many derivative works like "The Bible and work ethic", "The Bible and sex", etc, how are you supposed to learn anything new and/or useful if thousands of people more prepared to do that have studied it already?
                        Graffiti in a public toilet
                        Do not require skill or wit
                        Among the **** we all are poets
                        Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

I still can't understand how you can study something that has existed for almost 2K years.
                          They study it for their personal understanding only.

Comment

You have to understand that in the US, there isn't a unifying national church that many Eastern European nations have.

The concept of "Bible Study" is popular with protestant churches who seek to define their identity with their own interpretation of the bible. Also, there are countless protestant sects that have emerged every since Europeans first arrived in North America. Religion is pretty fluid in the US. People are always leaving one domination in order to join another.

Comment

I still can't understand how you can study something that has existed for almost 2K years. It must've been picked apart and scrutinized by thousands of theologists (I guess you're supposed to study the spiritual content, not the discrepancies between the translations or logical fallacies and contradictions), surely there must be many derivative works like "The Bible and work ethic", "The Bible and sex", etc, how are you supposed to learn anything new and/or useful if thousands of people more prepared to do that have studied it already?
                              A strange habit indeed. Especially since many of these religious people don't interpret the bible correctly. Like Asher said:

Originally posted by Asher

Christians study it weekly to re-interpret it so it can better fit their prejudices and agenda. It's always changing.
                              The same thing happens in islamic madrasas in which students are required to learn the Qur'an by heart, and then recite verses that are superficially applicable to a given situation (for example women's rights etc). Problem is the texts are never interpreted or understood in the way they were written hundreds of years ago.

At my university we were required to take a course on religion (it was a catholic university after all ) and they had a very enlightening view on the bible. Only after applying textual criticism its value can be understood.

A good bunch of religious people do this, but alas many do not, like the born again christians, creationists and so on... Either because they're lazy, or they have an agenda, or they are blind religious nutters, who knows!
                              "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                              "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Huh... you still need to read the Bible if you are to understand these commentaries. And nothing I guess excludes discussing them with others.
                                In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Working...
                                X