No announcement yet.

hurricanes everywhere (nature hates us)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is supposed to dwarf Katrina. Last I saw, they're not sure of the area of landfall, but New Orleans is evacuating. Dallas is gearing up for refugees again, from wherever.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

We really have been blessed here in coastal North Carolina

I am sure sorry anyone has to experience this firsthand

The Gulf s such warm water, pretty hard not to maintain at least a Cat 2 strength when it makes landfall

I have been tracking Hurricanes since living here..some 27 years or so

I have heard by the Experts it is very hard to have a Hurricane keep a AT 5 status for many days

Lets hope this stays true and it peters out somewhat over the gulf

Gramps
      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

my usual childishness aside. My prayers go out to the people affected by this storm. Gustav will so replace Katrina as the standard bearer of disaster storms. It seems pretty set, short of a miracle in the next 36 hours. Besides, Gustav is swedish for destroyer or something sinister along those lines. Anyway good luck

I wish the USAF had 1,000 B-52's lined up packed with Dry Ice to drop into the eyewall to make this go away (project stormfury)

Comment

maybe we get to see hieneken man again carting off cases of looted beer. I thought that was such a happy moment in a time of disaster. The guy looked so happy.

hieneken man

Comment

Hmm, 3 of the 5 latest reader comments to an article on the evacuation efforts on The Houston Chronicle's site specifically pointed out that any evacuees from New Orleans were not welcome in Houston this time around.

Comment

NBC 6 Miami reports gusts of 204mph in Cuba! Jeebus, what would that be if the scale went that high, Cat 8-level winds? Gustav has a bit of a temper...
              The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Gusts don't count. It's only sustained winds. The scale is based on damage. Cat 5 is catastrophic. Don't think you can get much worse than that.

It's still being reported as a Cat 4.
                Last edited by chequita guevara; August 31, 2008, 00:57.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I don't know if it's related or not, but Dallas had down draft winds of 55 mph one day last week.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Snuggles
                    Gusts don't count. It's only sustained winds. The scale is based on damage. Cat 5 is catastrophic. Don't think you can get much worse than that.
                    Read that again. "...if the scale went that high... ...Cat 8-level winds?"

I know FD has trouble reading, but I know you don't.

Anyway, after Katrina people were suggesting a Cat 6 level for the +175mph monsters. The current scale was made in 1969-1971. New materials and building techniques may necessitate a 6th level, hence the calls for one after Katrina.
                    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

been dealing with Gustav's rain bands all day. You can always tell when a tropical cyclone is in the area. The clouds become narrow cylinders and scud across the sky.
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Hanna making an estimated unscheduled turn

Attached Files
                        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

As the chinetic energy is linear to the square of the velocity, Gustav is about 40% stronger than Katrina
                          So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                          Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

You guys put up with these big hurricanes which come every year, sometimes several times a year. Give me the odd earthquake any day. Most of them you hardly notice.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Theben
                              The city lasted 4 centuries and now after gettig poo-pooed by 2 hurricanes we're saying "fahgit aboudit?" If we actually rebuilt with a sane city management plan the city would be fine.
                              Level it all and raise the city 30 feet. Or alternatively get Congress to finally fund the level 5 levees they Army Corp said the city needed 40 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by faded glory
                                my usual childishness aside. My prayers go out to the people affected by this storm. Gustav will so replace Katrina as the standard bearer of disaster storms.
                                Can't you go back to being dead?

Comment

Working...
                                X