No announcement yet.

hurricanes everywhere (nature hates us)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The city lasted 4 centuries and now after gettig poo-pooed by 2 hurricanes we're saying "fahgit aboudit?" If we actually rebuilt with a sane city management plan the city would be fine.
    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
      I have zero sympathy for people who live in earthquake or hurricane zones then get upset when one happens....
      So is this why people love ya so much Asher?

Define "Eartquake zone" or Hurricane zone?
      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Earthquake zone? Japan and Istanbul come to my mind ...

Transfer them all to Siberia - no earhquakes, flooding or hurricanes
        Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
        GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll

So is this why people love ya so much Asher?

Define "Eartquake zone" or Hurricane zone?
          Earthquake zone...California
          Hurricane zone...Florida and Louisiana...just as examples.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave
            Earthquake zone? Japan and Istanbul come to my mind ...

Transfer them all to Siberia - no earhquakes, flooding or hurricanes
            There was a quake around Baikal the day before yestersay.
            Graffiti in a public toilet
            Do not require skill or wit
            Among the **** we all are poets
            Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Earthquakes and Hurricanes strike down regions filled with godless liberals and degenerates. That's why San Francisco was destroyed by an earthquake in 1906 and New Orleans was wiped out by Katrina.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera

There was a quake around Baikal the day before yestersay.
                That was god punishing the Russians for invading Georgia.
                DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢

That was god punishing the Russians for invading Georgia.
                  No one died. We are God's chosen people.
                  Graffiti in a public toilet
                  Do not require skill or wit
                  Among the **** we all are poets
                  Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Seedle
                    If New Orleans gets destroyed again, do you think they'll take the freaking hint that the site New Orleans is at is a really bad place to have a city?
                    That's not really the problem so much as the neighborhoods/suburbs built in places they shouldn't be.

From what I understand the French quarter and other older parts are built on higher ground and didn't suffer too much direct damage from the storm (I imagine the aftermath did bad things).

I suspect at some point we'll need to realize that New Orleans should be a much smaller city with strict city limits based on the terrain, and that while draining swamps and building poor-quality levees might seem like a good idea... it's really not.

Also, I saw a lot of people complaining that their part of the city wasn't rebuilt or that the Bush admin hates black people for not rebuilding bits that will just get flooded again (I also doubt the lack rebuilding was motivated by long-term thinking as much as gross incompetence). I really just wanted to slap those people. They'd be much better off rebuilding the city as a smaller, more compact city on bits of higher ground with flood defenses aimed at saving critical infrastructure in those bits.

The city lasted 4 centuries and now after gettig poo-pooed by 2 hurricanes we're saying "fahgit aboudit?"
                    Some things have fundamentally changed. The city is too big... the old parts were built on solid ground surrounded by wetlands, swamp, etc. Some of those surrounding areas got drained and turned into suburbs... those were also the site of the worst damage. The center of the city wasn't that hard hit and is the historical bit worth saving.
                    "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                    -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                      I thought that posting hurricane maps was Che's job.
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Galis
                        That's not really the problem so much as the neighborhoods/suburbs built in places they shouldn't be.
                        When they originally built it, it wasn't below sea level. The land has subsided.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

There hasn't been a decent hurricane for almost three years. Reinsurers have gotten lax and cocky again.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                            I have zero sympathy for people who live in earthquake or hurricane zones then get upset when one happens....
                            That pretty much covers the entire U.S. of A!

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Snuggles

When they originally built it, it wasn't below sea level. The land has subsided.
                              Well then they could choose not to rebuild it the next time it gets completely flooded and the houses are a total loss. That or stilts.
                              "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                              -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

That pretty much covers the entire U.S. of A!
                                Yes.
                                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                                X