No announcement yet.

hurricanes everywhere (nature hates us)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hurricanes everywhere (nature hates us)

Bertha, Dolly and fay wreaked there havok

Gustav is centered dead on new orleans models are in 100% agreement.

Hannah models show a cat 2 Storming through South-Central Florida and go into the gulf.

Ike is developing in the Bay of Campeche.

2 more disturbances

history is in the making folks. 2008 will be remembered.

peak of season isnt for 2 weeks yet

Comment

We can all take great comfort in the theory that global warming does not cause either an increased number of hurricanes or hurricanes of increased violence. So relax. This is all in your head.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
        We can all take great comfort in the theory that global warming does not cause either an increased number of hurricanes or hurricanes of increased violence. So relax. This is all in your head.

absolutely. melting ice-caps cool waters inhibiting surface low development

Comment

If New Orleans gets destroyed again, do you think they'll take the freaking hint that the site New Orleans is at is a really bad place to have a city?
          You've just proven signature advertising works!

Comment

Originally posted by Seedle
            If New Orleans gets destroyed again, do you think they'll take the freaking hint that the site New Orleans is at is a really bad place to have a city?

You know, we thought about this at work and talked ab out it. Unlikely that will ever happen. However I could see the inner city population being halved again. Alot of refugees didnt return, because they found oppurtunity elsewhere.

Comment

People forget. Katrina was not he 'big one' it was only a category 2 and it went west of the city sparing it of the worst damage. The strongests winds and surge are east of a surface circulation, the worst on the north east side.

I reckon if gustav hits new orleans on some of the models projected path (HWRF and GFDL scare me) then the city may be a total loss. And labor day will be the day that changed america

Comment

The city is a total loss regardless. It's built partially below sea level, between a lake and one of the largest rivers in the world, in a hurricane zone. THIS IS NOT A GOOD PLACE FOR A LARGE CITY. I frankly can't believe it was rebuilt after Katrina. I'm not saying close it down. If some entity is stupid enough to build there, let them. But no federal aid. You lose your house/business/hotel in a hurricane in New Orleans? You're an idiot, deal.

Even ignoring the flooding risks, if New Orleans did lose more pop, it would need massive restructuring. Actually, it sounds like it already does. All the news I hear from there is about how they don't have the population base to provide services anymore. You can't and shouldn't try to rebuild everything everywhere. Pick a portion of the city and rebuild it, and consolidate. Deliver water, electricity, fire, police, schools there, but nowhere else. You need a certain density to make certain services economic, spot rebuilding won't cut it.
                You've just proven signature advertising works!

Comment

I have probably been through as many hurricanes as anyone here...

in coastal southeastern north carolina

very scary to live through..especiaaly during the height when winds are beating your house, trees whipping likes fields of grass, no power, flood waters, tornadoes being spawned left and right

Diane-1984 stayed two days off he coast before hitting wilmington about 35 minutes south of here....we got about 20 inches of rain, I lived in a trailer and was scary as crap!

Bertha and Fran 1996

Bonnie 1998

Dennis 1999

Floyd 1999

Irene 1999

If I never have to live through another it will be too soon

Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

I thought that posting hurricane maps was Che's job.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                      I thought that posting hurricane maps was Che's job.
                      Che'?

Who tef fvck is taht?
                      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

If they stuff enough billions under New Orleans it will eventually be above sea level.
                        Long time member @ Apolyton
                        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

I have zero sympathy for people who live in earthquake or hurricane zones then get upset when one happens....
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

It sucks when politicos declare proudly "we're going to rebuild it!", like friggin heros on white horses. Then they spend billions of taxpayer money on it. I actually heard a politico, when asked who was going to pay for it, say on the nightly news "nobody is going to pay, it will be added to the debt".

Should have been a national vote.
                            Long time member @ Apolyton
                            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                              I have zero sympathy for people who live in earthquake or hurricane zones then get upset when one happens....
                              I agree, for the sake of conservation and sanity reason. Anybody who lives on a barrier island in a hurricane area is a moron that doesnt deserve a taxpayer dime.

Everybody wins if we just banned it.

But we dont control the world

yet

Comment

Working...
                              X