hurricanes everywhere (nature hates us)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Berzerker
    but thats the weaker side of the huirricane, I heard it was cat 3 on the strong side

correct. NOLA got about 90mph winds from the week side for 4 hours. The fact the levee's broke was due to 25ft Storm surge.

If Gustav maintains its heading. Katrina will be a forgotten storm. And New Orleans will probably never be a major city again.

Comment

there were a couple of small tornados in Poland lately, in my region, and actually in my city as well. It's happened before, like twice, but I missed that one as well, been sleeping. The ones in my city were just cute little tornados. The ones more to the west were much worse, some were dead, and many villages destroyed.
      "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
      I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
      Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by Heresson
        there were a couple of small tornados in Poland lately, in my region, and actually in my city as well. It's happened before, like twice, but I missed that one as well, been sleeping. The ones in my city were just cute little tornados. The ones more to the west were much worse, some were dead, and many villages destroyed.

Tornado's suck. Natures road side bomb. No warning and scary. Hurricanes, atleast we see them coming. But they are far worse than Tornado's.

also Hurricanes usually have hundreds of small tornado's during a 24hr period.

Comment

Are you in the path of this thing faded? You might want to change your sig. No point in tempting.
          Long time member @ Apolyton
          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by faded glory

Tornado's suck. Natures road side bomb. No warning and scary. Hurricanes, atleast we see them coming. But they are far worse than Tornado's.

also Hurricanes usually have hundreds of small tornado's during a 24hr period.
            Indeed FadedGlory

Tornado
            Storm Surge
            Flooding-post hurricane as well..lower level areas that were fortunate during initial encounters often become victim when all the rain drains away from other areas an floods downstream)
            Sustained Winds

these are all initial impact concerns
            Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by faded glory
              Originally posted by DRoseDARs
              faded, you must be faded. Katrina was a Cat 3 when it made second landfall in Louisiana (first landfall being in Southern Florida as a Cat 1) having only just weakened from a Cat 4 out over the Gulf, was a Cat 3 as it passed NO, and was a Cat 3 when it made its third and final landfall northeast of NO near the LA/AL border.
              you stupid ****** (Edit: Now you've added this part without removing the ****** comment: ) Katrina was a lightwieght compared to a Cat 3-4 to the east of NOLA. Worst wins are in the NE Quadrant.
              Well that was wholly uncalled for. You don't get to DanS that one out... Edit: Now for the part you added. Your additional sentence doesn't make any sense. Katrina passed east of the city, which is why Lake Pontchartrain had a storm surge pushing south into the city. No one is questioning the winds being strongest in the NEquad. As I already pointed out, the hurricane had only JUST dropped from a Cat 4 when it hit LA and remained a Cat 3, weakening only a little, all the way through to third landfall near the border with Alabama. As has already been established, a hurricane passing EAST of the city (as Katrina did) would NOT inflict its the highest winds on the city. A hurricane passing to the WEST would (as Gustav looks like it might; the mind reels at the damage this bastard could cause to the already-battered city if it does), contrary to your "Katrina was a lightwieght compared to a Cat 3-4 to the east of NOLA" sentence, which you then contradict in the same breath with "Worst wins are in the NE Quadrant." Again I say you must be faded to spew such verbal diarrhea.

quote:
              As the eye of Hurricane Katrina swept to the northeast, it subjected the city to hurricane conditions for hours. Although power failures prevented accurate measurement of wind speeds in New Orleans, there were a few measurements of hurricane-force winds. From this the NHC concluded that it is likely that much of the city experienced sustained winds of Category 1 or Category 2 strength.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurrica...rina#Louisiana
              That's cute, but the meteorological data says otherwise...
              The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurrica...rina#Louisiana [/QUOTE]

That's cute, but the meteorological data says otherwise...
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteoro...hird_landfalls [/QUOTE]

Oh I insulted you? You suggested im wrong and 'faded' and to prove it, you refuted my source, with another wikipedia article with no proof in that article at all.

Welcome to my ignore list ******, along with trolls like Coracle and Hardman. you are number 38 on my list. Congratulations. Go hold wild.

Comment

While winds are spectacular, the real danger is storm surge and rain. Katrina may have been a Cat 3 storm when it made landfall, but because of the local geography, and because it had been a Cat 5 very shortly before landfall, it still had a Cat 5 storm surge, funneled into a very narrow area. Both rain and storm surge doomed NOLA in 2005.

This looks to hit slightly to the West of NOLA at an angle that will also likely produce a massive storm surge. My understanding is the dikes were not upgraded to take a Cat 5 storm, but merely back to the Cat 3 level that it had supposedly been at before, meaning, people in NOLA need to get the **** out.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

FG, did you move to New Orleands after Katrina?
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                      FG, did you move to New Orleands after Katrina?
                      no im in tampa aways from the coast and on a second floor

Comment

GO LIGHTNING
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I miss Coracle........

ACK!
                          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

I'm on the 2nd floor, but only two miles from the cost. I'm about 20 feet above sea level, including my floor, so a cat four or five storm would be double plus ungood. I'd have to swim.
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Change your name back before its too late!!!
                              Long time member @ Apolyton
                              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

This is supposed to dwarf Katrina. Last I saw, they're not sure of the area of landfall, but New Orleans is evacuating. Dallas is gearing up for refugees again, from wherever.
                                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                                X