No announcement yet.

What's heaven like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not all non-christians are athiests, Ben.
    And everyone who isn't a Christian goes to hell? You picked up on my point. The only ones we can be sure are condemned are unrepentent atheists.

And most of those people probably don't lik eworking in sweatashops.
    True that, but for the athiest, I would think it prefereable then an eternity with God.

I actually could totally see hell being that way. You have a small stool, on an endless machine where you have to do the same task over and over again, and on the wall you see a poster that says "Workers Paradise". You never tire, and you never quite reach the lunch hour. You wear earphones so you can hear a stuttering comrade slowly read Das Kapital, except he sometimes skips lines and pages, and forgets where he was and goes back again.
    Last edited by Ben Kenobi; August 25, 2008, 21:28.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
      Which is rather pointless in heaven no? If there is a heaven then Communism is wrong.
      We're just talking theoretically, so yeah it's pointless, but it raises the question of whether or not a right wing heaven is even possible if when you got there it would be authoritarian.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

I really can't say. All I know for sure is that we will see people as they really are, not as they were here on this earth.

In a sense it would be the reverse of authoritarianism if that makes any sense at all.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

but it raises the question of whether or not a right wing heaven is even possible

I'm going to right wing Heaven. Don't want no hippies keeping me up all night with their wailing and protest marches.

Comment

In a sense it would be the reverse of authoritarianism if that makes any sense at all.
            Isn't your God suppose to be a king?

Comment

Isn't your God suppose to be a king?
              He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,
              nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.

He was despised and rejected by men,
              a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering.
              Like one from whom men hide their faces
              he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

Comment

And everyone who isn't a Christian goes to hell? You picked up on my point. The only ones we can be sure are condemned are unrepentent atheists.
                Well surely they did not enter through the body of Christ, so all non-Xians, atheist or otherwise, are condemned to suffering for all eternity.

True that, but for the athiest, I would think it prefereable then an eternity with God.

While some may prefer to not be with God, none would want to suffer. Atheists IMHO, will want to make life on earth as pleasant as possible, so they's do away with sweatshops. As long as we're talking about utopias.
                I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Well surely they did not enter through the body of Christ, so all non-Xians, atheist or otherwise, are condemned to suffering for all eternity.
                  Not true.

What about Abraham? He wasn't a Christian in that he was born before Christ.

God will save those whom he will save. That is all we know.

Romans talks about this as well, in saying that those who live according to the law, even though they have not knowledge of the law are a law unto themselves. God looks at our hearts, and it's not an impediment to him that someone who has not professed Christ formally can be saved. It's his prerogative and not man's.

Comment

He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,
                    nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.

He was despised and rejected by men,
                    a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering.
                    Like one from whom men hide their faces
                    he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
                    So that's the opposite of authoritarian?

Comment

I don't know many kings that look like beggars.

Comment

I don't know many kings that look like beggars.
                        What does what he looks like have to do with anything? You submit to him, don't you?

Comment

"When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, ummmm, boy."

ACK!
                          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Yes of course.

He's God.

You are familiar with the phrase that he who humbles himself is exalted, and he who exalts himself shall be humbled?

How is that authoritarian?

Comment

Yes of course.

He's God.

You are familiar with the phrase that he who humbles himself is exalted, and he who exalts himself shall be humbled?

How is that authoritarian?
                              I'm not one for strict adherance to dictionary definitions, but exactly what to you find wrong with this one.

1. favoring complete obedience or subjection to authority as opposed to individual freedom

Comment

"King" is a Germanic word, so we can be pretty sure that the original Bible never used the word.
                                "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Working...
                                X