No announcement yet.

My Stupid State, part eleventy-seven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't believe how freaking obtuse you all are.

At the point where he was given the wafer, it was not a magic cracker. It was the body of Jesus Christ Our Lord. And he put it in his pocket!!!

Clearly, he's going to be prosecuted for unauthorized transportation of hazardous medical waste. Duh.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

All it says is a 'mass held on campus'.

from the Catholic League To protest student fees for religious services at the University of Central Florida (UCF), a student walked out of ...

This confirms that Cook is in fact a Catholic, which changes the picture considerably.

I'm trying to find out what they mean by 'campus mass'.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
        I can't believe how freaking obtuse you all are.

At the point where he was given the wafer, it was not a magic cracker. It was the body of Jesus Christ Our Lord. And he put it in his pocket!!!

Clearly, he's going to be prosecuted for unauthorized transportation of hazardous medical waste. Duh.

Comment

Tuberski:

You are correct! Good job.

Everything falls into place now. It all makes sense to me.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Felch:

The typical cradle to grave order of sacrements would go something like:

1)Baptism
            2)(1st) Confession (~7 years old)
            3)(1st) Eucharist (~8 years old)
            4)Confirmation (~13 years old)
            5)Matrimony or Holy Orders
            6)Extreme Unction
            I did some looking around, apparently that was a change in 1910, to reverse the order, prior it was no different for the folks who did RCIA, it was Confession/Confirmation/Communion.

Prior to that, in medieval times, they did them all together with infants!

Ages were what I was for them. Confession is tightly linked to the Eucharist because you're supposed to go through with a clean moral slate. They're set at about 7 or 8 years old because that's the age the Church feels children should be able to distinguish between right and wrong.

Confirmation is more of a coming of age ritual, like a bar mitzvah. It's the official adulthood for the Church, e.g. any confirmed male is technically eligible for the papacy.
            There's no reason why a child couldn't be confirmed at the age of Reason. As far as I can see, that's the only limitation, in the Latin rite, that you can't be confirmed prior to 7. Beyond that, it's entirely up to the family and the priest.

Comment

Anyway, I don't think this guy should be expelled. There are times to stick up for yourself and times to let it slide. This is one of those times to let it slide.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                Are you forgetting the fact that he tore up a Koran too?

What are your thoughts about that?
                Screw it. It's perfectly with in people's free speech rights to destroy or burn symbols and it harms no one.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

They gave the wafer to him, so it was his wafer. Why couldn't he store it for later use?
                  Graffiti in a public toilet
                  Do not require skill or wit
                  Among the **** we all are poets
                  Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Because it makes the religious fanatics angry.

Comment

Is someone calling Jesus a cracker?@!
                      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by onodera
                        They gave the wafer to him, so it was his wafer. Why couldn't he store it for later use?
                        I hear the reborn Russian Orthodoxed Church has it's own share over zealous converts. Still it is going to be funny when the courts in Florida smack the **** out of these overly fanatical religious people.

Comment

There's no reason why a child couldn't be confirmed at the age of Reason. As far as I can see, that's the only limitation, in the Latin rite, that you can't be confirmed prior to 7. Beyond that, it's entirely up to the family and the priest.
                          You're right on that. I was talking about what's typical around here. I know somebody from the Pilippines who had them all at the same time as a kid. There the bishop would come around to the parish once every few years and all the kids would get them all together.
                          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

It says that the chapel is on the campus, not that the chapel is the property of the University of Central Florida.

It's private religious space. He doesn't have the right to disrupt the mass under any circumstances.

And anyone can be booted out if they are disruptive, which happened here.

Yes, it's a big issue. No one should take communion unless they are Catholic, and the parish I go to makes that clear to visitors, that they aren't supposed to take communion unless they are confirmed Catholics.

He did two things. One, he disregarded the warning. Even if he was curious, he should not have disregarded the warning.

Two, he disrupted the mass in showing the wafer, "hey I stole a wafer," after being warned that he should not do so.

For his lack of respect of Catholics, and the religious rights of other people.

If he was willing to apologise for the incident, then that would solve this issue.

As for the student who was there who did not take the wafer, I don't understand why the university would expel him, unless it wasn't clear who was involved. You can't be held responsible for something you didn't do.
                            I find it interesting how you want a carte blanche to criticise everyone else's faith but how dare someone criticise what you consider to be the "divine truth"
                            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

BEN KENOBI WTF!!???

Again, no real person could be such a total and utter douchebag loon...

C'mon, own up - whose DL is this?
                              Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by DinoDoc
                                Am I the only one that thinks he should be expelled for being stupid?
                                By that logic, you'd have been expelled from this board a long time ago
                                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                                X