No announcement yet.

Is the surge a success?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As for the BBC, how is that anything different from what I said? Also, Gandhi still isn't saying anything about the Sikhs in the Punjab.
    You blamed Gandhi for the partition. The BBC notes that Gandhi was against it, but ultimately accepted it as the lesser evil.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• You blamed Gandhi for the partition. The BBC notes that Gandhi was against it, but ultimately accepted it as the lesser evil.
      Which is what I said. Without Gandhi's approval the partition would not have happened. Gandhi approved of partition because he believed it would be less violent then a civil war.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• See, you did it again.
        Your short term memory is awful.
        Did what again?

I feel like quoting Lewis Carroll-- When I use a word...
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• Anyone got the 2004 casualties ready? I don't think the statistics of you guys make any sense without these.

Comment

• icasualtis doesn't hav 2004, I don't thnk they were around then.
            "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

• Originally posted by Patroklos
              icasualtis doesn't hav 2004, I don't thnk they were around then.
              Your typos imply you've been doing the same that I have during the past hours, congrats :beer:

Comment

• I did just get back from happy hour, but most come from a wireless keyboard that requires replacing
                "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                  Google scholar.
                  You realize that Google Scholar is just a database of peer-reviewed academic journals, right? What kind of backwoods hick must you be to think that mentioning Google Scholar (which, again, is just a database) somehow diminishes the credibility of what I'm saying?
                  "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                  -Bokonon

Comment

• You realize that Google Scholar is just a database of peer-reviewed academic journals, right? What kind of backwoods hick must you be to think that mentioning Google Scholar (which, again, is just a database) somehow diminishes the credibility of what I'm saying?
                    Yet no mention of the fact I dealt with your argument.

Do you only skim, or do you pick and choose what makes you look smarter?

Comment

• Your argument is total nonsense. I'll address it when I have some time to kill.
                      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                      -Bokonon

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian

You blamed Gandhi for the partition. The BBC notes that Gandhi was against it, but ultimately accepted it as the lesser evil.

-Arrian
                        They should have just fought it out and beat the separatists though I admit it would have been a bad start for India.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian
                          Most people do.

I'm curious about exactly what you mean, however.

-Arrian
                          I'm just curious as to why you think these moral obligations attached upon this most recent invasion and not at earlier times.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• A very interesting CNN article about the time line of events prior to the surge up until today. It's important because it shows what was occurring before the surge and helps us determine what the surge is really responsible for and what it is not responsible for.

Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS

I'm just curious as to why you think these moral obligations attached upon this most recent invasion and not at earlier times.
                              Ok. First off, I'll admit this is murky stuff (to me, at least).

We didn't have an obligation to Iraq after the first war... at least until we encouraged the Shiites to rebel. At that point, sigh, we probably had an obligation to intervene (more to the point, we shouldn't have encouraged an uprising we had no intention of supporting materially). Unfortunately, that was done, the Shiite rebellion was crushed, and we moved on.

The distinction, to me, is that when you invade a country and depose its government (in this case, with the express purpose of "regime change"), you have incurred an obligation to help put something better in its place.

The first war was supposed to be simply about kicking Saddam's forces out of Kuwait. That doesn't incur the same responsibilities.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Incidently, do we consider the decision to pay off a bunch of Sunni militias (which we're still doing) part of the Surge?

-Arrian

Comment

Working...
                                X