Is the surge a success?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the surge a success?

Is bringing the civilian death toll down to 2006 levels considered a "success"?

Again, the surge was supposed to allow a political "breathing room" for consolidation of Iraq's govt, but the major points of the benchmarks have NOT been met....unless you believe the WH.

Government Benchmarks: 2 of 8 Accomplished

1. Perform constitutional review. Unmet

2. Enact de-Ba’athification reform. Partial

4. Form semi-autonomous regions. Unmet

5. Hold provincial elections. Unmet

6. Address amnesty. Unmet

8. Establish support for Baghdad Security Plan. Met

16. Ensure minority rights in Iraqi legislature. Met

18. Keep Iraqi Security Forces free from partisan interference. Unmet

Security Benchmarks: 1 of 8 Accomplished

7. Disarm militias. Unmet

9. Provide military support in Baghdad. Partial

10. Empower Iraqi Security Forces. Partial

11. Ensure impartial law enforcement. Unmet

12. Establish support for Baghdad Security Plan by Maliki government. Unmet

13. Reduce sectarian violence. Partial

14. Establish neighborhood security in Baghdad. Met

15. Increase independent Iraqi Security Focres. Unmet

Economic Benchmarks: 0 of 2 Accomplished

3. Implement oil legislation. Unmet

17. Distribute Iraqi resources equitably. Partial

Last edited by Dinner; July 20, 2008, 00:50.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

There's still more than 35% unemployment. That's so incompetent it's hard to believe it's not intentional.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

In related news, our presence in Iraq has become so politically untenable that Maliki explicitly endorsed Obama's timetable for withdrawal.
      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
      -Bokonon

Comment

Is bringing the civilian death toll down to 2006 levels considered a "success"?
        June 2006 = 870

June 2008 = 450

While the level of success in reference to the benchmarks is up for debate, you blatant lie in the first line of your post means we should all disregard this thread until a serious poster opens a serious thread.

Oerdin
        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

I imagine you meant ?

Anyway, this thread inspired me to look up the short-lived soft drink on Wikipedia. I didn't know that nasty crap is still selling in Norway...
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

The ultimate point of the surge was not to produce a lower level of violence in Iraq. The point of the surge was to increase troop levels temporarily so that the Iraqis could get their house in order. The New Improved Stable Iraqi Government (now with a fresh lilac scent!) was supposed to have been standing on its own two feet by April.

So by that metric, the surge is not a success.

If we were to withdraw all the surge troops, and violence stayed at the level its at now, you could say that the surge accomplished something-- though that wouldn't be the same as "succeeding," and at any rate we can't know that yet

But right now, the only "success" associated with the surge is that it's successfully shown that everybody who criticized Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld back in 2003 for not sending in enough troops has been proven right.
            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

While the level of success in reference to the benchmarks is up for debate, you blatant lie in the first line of your post means we should all disregard this thread until a serious poster opens a serious thread.
              QFMFT.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
                In related news, our presence in Iraq has become so politically untenable that Maliki explicitly endorsed Obama's timetable for withdrawal.
                He was motivated by political reasons to do that. Elections might be held later this year, and it looks good to crack down on American presence in Iraq.

But right now, the only "success" associated with the surge is that it's successfully shown that everybody who criticized Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld back in 2003 for not sending in enough troops has been proven right.
                Wasn't that a bit obvious? Either you do it all the way or you don't... Isn't that one of the lessons of Vietnam? Military advisors postulated rather early on that to maintain a status-quo in Vietnam, a million troops would be required instead of the half million that were used instead at its peak moment. I sense a clear analogy today.

Americans are in general quite apt to going to war, but their quick war-weariness is equally charactaristic. Contrary to peoples who endure wars many times in their lives, Americans want a quick victory, after which they can all pat themselves on the back congratulating on how they showed those ragheads what US military power can do.

In that respect anti-war protestors are a bit counterproductive, because without them, more troops could might have been sent, and things might be settled quicker, but of course that's speculating. If a leader goes to war, he should at least have the guts to go all the way. There's no room for half-hearted projects, especially if you go all the way to mislead and deceive the entire world and, not to forget, your own citizens who still do the dying out there.
                "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos

June 2006 = 870

June 2008 = 450

Oerdin
                  First of all your own source doesn't back your numbers. Second of all it's clear you are cherry picking.

Actual death tolls from your source for civilian deaths (what we've been discussing).

Code:
                  Jan-06	590   Jan-08     485
                  Feb-06	688   Feb-08	564
                  Mar-06	901   Mar-08	819
                  Apr-06	808   Apr-08	631
                  May-06	969   May-08	396
                  Jun-07	1148 May-08	396

So to sum it up two months this year were significantly less while 4 months were very close to the same. It seems very clear to me that you cherry picked your one date. The basic message stands though that the over all level of civilian deaths is about where it was in 2006 and the "benchmarks for success" (as the white house calls them) are still largely unmet.

Comment

Originally posted by Traianvs

He was motivated by political reasons to do that.
                    If you read closely, I wrote that in the sentence you quoted..

That was my point. Anti-American groups, particularly the Sadrists are gonna make out like bandits in the upcoming provincial elections, so Maliki is paying appropriate deference to the mood of his electorate.
                    Last edited by Ramo; July 20, 2008, 01:00.
                    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                    -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Traianvs
                      Wasn't that a bit obvious? Either you do it all the way or you don't... Isn't that one of the lessons of Vietnam? Military advisors postulated rather early on that to maintain a status-quo in Vietnam, a million troops would be required instead of the half million that were used instead at its peak moment. I sense a clear analogy today.
                      [sic]
                      In that respect anti-war protestors are a bit counterproductive, because without them, more troops could might have been sent, and things might be settled quicker, but of course that's speculating. If a leader goes to war, he should at least have the guts to go all the way. There's no room for half-hearted projects, especially if you go all the way to mislead and deceive the entire world and, not to forget, your own citizens who still do the dying out there.
                      Less troops were sent b/c that's what Rumsfeld wanted, in oppositon to just about every general. If you think that rummy was listening to the anti-war crowd at all, I've got some subprime loans to offer you.
                      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

How is this a return to 2006 levels?

May-06 969
                        May-08 396

Patroklos 1 Oerdin 0.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Read please. Two of the six months showed significant improvement and four were about the same. Averages Ben.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo

If you read closely, I wrote that in the sentence you quoted..

That was my point. Anti-American groups, particularly the Sadrists are gonna make out like bandits in the upcoming provincial elections, so Maliki is paying appropriate deference to the mood of his electorate.
                            Ah yes

Originally posted by Theben

Less troops were sent b/c that's what Rumsfeld wanted, in oppositon to just about every general. If you think that rummy was listening to the anti-war crowd at all, I've got some subprime loans to offer you.

Why would Rumsfeld oppose sending more troops then? I might not know the ins and outs, but perhaps he and his cronies wanted to appease the pop by not going all-out in Iraq. There's a lot of people with no military insights who think airplane bombing will do most of the work and who want to limit the amount of troops deployed because they might die out there.

Of course he didn't 'listen' to the anti-war crowd, but I can imagine there would be more protest if more troops were sent. In Vietnam presidents constantly assured that they wouldn't escalate the war by sending more troops (although they did it anyway). Why else would you say and do such a thing if it weren't for public opinion concerns? Especially if you need broad support to engage in war, such as the one in Iraq.. Rumsfeld wanted to give the impression to the people it would be a quick and easy war, that the Americans would be out of there in no time. Funny thing is he probably began to believe that himself. I can't see any other reason why he would oppose sending more troops when all his generals thought otherwise.
                            Last edited by Traianvs; July 20, 2008, 08:45.
                            "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                            "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                              Read please. Two of the six months showed significant improvement and four were about the same. Averages Ben.
                              Average deaths per month:

2006 (to June): 782
                              2006 (July to Dec): 1,978
                              2006 (Year to Dec): 1,380
                              2008 (to June): 545

You're original claim of 2006 levels is clearly wrong. The rate is less than half. Even if narrowed to the first half of 2006 you are wrong. Unless a decline of 30% on the original level is considered the same.
                              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X