Is the surge a success?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oerdin is running thin on material.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Surgery
      Blah

Comment

First of all your own source doesn't back your numbers.
        They were from the homepage of the site and are in fact all Iraqi deaths, to include the ISF, so while unintentional on my part it shows that Iraqi deaths are in fact down in poth categories.

As to the meat of your waffling, others have adequately addressed it.

I imagine you meant ?
        Sarcasm
        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

I wonder how much of the Surge's success was troop levels, and how much was Petraeus? A finally competent general ...
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Violence had declined significantly, as well as it should have. Unfortunately, the US isn't willing to dramatically pull out troops, so the domestic rationale for the surge has failed. The political outlook is still up in the air. What will be very interesting to see is if the admin. had enough juice to pasuh through a status of forces agreement anywhere near the kind they were originally demanding. I have no doubt US troops will probably retain immunity, though not contractors, but the big questions not yet answered seem the status of control of Iraqi airspace and the ability of US forces to undertake combat operations with or without Iraqi approval.
            If you don't like reality, change it! me
            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

The Surge was designed to gain time for the Iraqi govenment to become stablized and begin to government. In light of all unmet benchmarks, the surge has been a stragetic failure.

Deaths have decreased. But I'd place the Surge as only having the third-most impact in this area.

First is the stategy (implimented pre-surge) of getting the Sunni tribal leaders to switch sides and go after al Queda instead of us.

Second is the sad fact that ethnic cleansing has worked. Most neighborhoods have been scoured of any minorities, and so the reason for ethnic violence has decreased.

But still, there's no denying that putting more troops in resulted in more bad guys being killed. And the few bad guys, the better.

Comment

Obviously the strategy was successful since folks are moving goalposts now.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

How do you figure that, Ben?

Oh, hell. Why am I asking Ben? I don't want to get sucked into the Benaverse.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

The benchmarks were the strategy for the entire war. The surge was one step in the process, but not the only step.

The surge has been successful in what it could do, whether the benchmarks will or will not be fully achieved depends on other factors.

It's like saying "the surge won't butter my toast right"

"the surge won't do my homework for me."

Is the surge the new roomba?
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I think the surge was more PR than actual effect, I understand the big change was the Sunnis stopped cooperating with AQ in Iraq and the Shia aint giving us too much trouble as they fight over control. But at the time I supported the surge only because the status quo was failing, I think the surge has worked enough but I dont see it working in Afghanistan. We're screwed there because we cant pursue into Pakistan.

Comment

In other words, finally taking control of their destiny? I's about ttime. The government wants it to be a phased withdeawl, as of today. People that say we've over-stayed our welcome, I beg to differ. Tell them we shouldn't have been there at all, don't tell me.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Sigh.

Put aside Oerdin's "2006 levels" argument. The key to all of this is the benchmarks. There are obviously a bunch of "partial" or "incomplete" ones on the list.

I'm more hopeful than I was last year, but not by much. Clearly, progress has been made regarding security. That's step 1. The political stuff is harder, and is ultimately the make-or-break thing.

-Arrian
                          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                            The benchmarks were the strategy for the entire war. The surge was one step in the process, but not the only step.

The surge has been successful in what it could do, whether the benchmarks will or will not be fully achieved depends on other factors.

It's like saying "the surge won't butter my toast right"

"the surge won't do my homework for me."

Is the surge the new roomba?
                            No, it's really not like whining that the surge won't butter your toast. The surge was intended to provide "breathing room" for political reconcilliation/cooperation. The idea was that if we provided better security, the Iraqis could calm down, cut some deals, and move forward.

It is unclear whether that goal, which is obviously political in nature (do we have to discuss von Clausewitz here?), has been/will be accomplished. I'm dubious.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Is it too soon to start chanting USA?
                              John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Yeah. The Olympics hasn't started yet.

-Arrian

Comment

Working...
                                X