You May Have a Woman's Brain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mrs Snuggles
    Actually, as a gay male, one can get plenty of acceptance from women.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

Seriously, I think there is a great amount of social pressure against the traditional gender roles. Maybe not you, but then you are an old fart. If you look at most of the role models for young men, you'd be hard pressed to find any that weren't 'metrosexual'.
      Gender roles have become more elastic, but they are still there along with other social rules. How many of those Metrosexuals would be caught dead wearing a Lynyrd Skynyrd T-Shirt?

A lot of this has to do with our culture's desperate attempts to hold on to some idea of human freedom. Culture is a lot easier to fight against than biology. It isn't just conservatives who deny the biological basis of sexuality, but many liberals, because they don't want to accept the fact that culture is merely the tip of the iceberg. It's the left's version of climate change denial.

For example, what if it was scientifically proven that homosexuality positively correlated with an increased disposition towards paedophilia? I'm not saying that it does (for all I know it does not), but it is not impossible that it might, or that heterosexuality might, for that matter. If such a thing were discovered, there would be denial on a massive scale, even though it wouldn't mean that all or even most homosexuals were necessarily paedophiles.

What this study shows is that biology is likely responsible for more culture than we think. Homosexual men have been stereotyped as effeminate for a very long time (even in Ancient Greece, where it was much more common than today). What studies like this demonstrate is that the stereotype has some basis in fact, because homosexual men have the same kind of brain as most women do. There's nothing particularly wrong with having a female brain (although it does make me think of that Blackadder clip), but that is irrelevant to the facts.
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Snuggles
        Actually, as a gay male, one can get plenty of acceptance from women.
        And we all know what they're called.
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon

And we all know what they're called.
          Women?
          B♭3

Comment

Gender roles have become more elastic, but they are still there along with other social rules. How many of those Metrosexuals would be caught dead wearing a Lynyrd Skynyrd T-Shirt?
            That's not what I was saying at all. The core is this belief here that 'genders' and 'sexuality' are somehow disassociated from one another, which makes no sense whatsoever. Why is sexuality immutable and gender entirely mutable?

A lot of this has to do with our culture's desperate attempts to hold on to some idea of human freedom. Culture is a lot easier to fight against than biology. It isn't just conservatives who deny the biological basis of sexuality, but many liberals, because they don't want to accept the fact that culture is merely the tip of the iceberg. It's the left's version of climate change denial.
            Very true. I think the whole movement is misguided. Freedom isn't apart from nature, but it is the restraint of nature. Most of the freedoms we enjoy are because the natural impulses of men are in some way curtailed.

What this study shows is that biology is likely responsible for more culture than we think. Homosexual men have been stereotyped as effeminate for a very long time (even in Ancient Greece, where it was much more common than today). What studies like this demonstrate is that the stereotype has some basis in fact, because homosexual men have the same kind of brain as most women do. There's nothing particularly wrong with having a female brain (although it does make me think of that Blackadder clip), but that is irrelevant to the facts.
            I'm not so sure. What you do impacts how you think, and the way in which your brain works to a certain extent. I agree with you tha there are certain aspects that are immutable, but they are others that do not. If you smoke, your brain works differently then someone who does not smoke. Emotionality is something I think would follow from this too. In a culture where people are trained to repress emotions, that will effect how the emotions come out when they are expressed.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Very true. I think the whole movement is misguided.

The movement is to understand why we are the people we are. The fact that you think knowledge is misguided is no surprise.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                That's not what I was saying at all. The core is this belief here that 'genders' and 'sexuality' are somehow disassociated from one another, which makes no sense whatsoever. Why is sexuality immutable and gender entirely mutable?
                gender != sexuality != sex.

Sex is (relatively) immutable.
                Gender and sexuality are relatively fluid.

Sex being the mechanical parts.
                Sexuality being how you'd like to use those parts.
                Gender being the software that operates somewhat independently of those parts.
                B♭3

Comment

gender != sexuality != sex.

Sex is (relatively) immutable.
                  Gender and sexuality are relatively fluid.

Sex being the mechanical parts.
                  Sexuality being how you'd like to use those parts.
                  Gender being the software that operates somewhat independently of those parts.
                  Again, I don't see the reasoning behind splitting the concepts of gender apart from sexuality. The two are interconnected with one another. The fact that you need an entire tree to explain these concepts tells me that they are an artificial construct since so much energy is devoted to preserving them.

It's like trying to pull magnets apart. You can do it and hold them apart, but that's energy you could be using otherwise.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I wouldn't say so. I've met enough genderqueers where it makes sense to keep them split like this.

Yes, they're constructs. But they're meant to be reductive constructs, breaking down the extraordinarily complex nature of human interpersonal regarding this sort of thing.

It's better than a gross oversimplification, saying that a two-toned palette defines all such variances adequately.
                    B♭3

Comment

No wonder i'm always arguing with Asher.
                      be free

Comment

Originally posted by FrostyBoy
                        No wonder i'm always arguing with Asher.
                        The real answer is you're always wrong. Which, to your credit, takes a lot of talent.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Snuggles

The real answer is you're always wrong. Which, to your credit, takes a lot of talent.
                          Don't you think that "Always Wrong" is rather heavy-handed?

Of course, if you can quote each and every post by Frosty that has been shot down, I might agree. But short of that - I, for one, feel that your statement is an over-simplification at best, a down right lie at worse.
                          "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                          "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Originally posted by Wittlich

Don't you think that "Always Wrong" is rather heavy-handed?

Of course, if you can quote each and every post by Frosty that has been shot down, I might agree. But short of that - I, for one, feel that your statement is an over-simplification at best, a down right lie at worse.
                            It's absolutely true. Additionally, I am never wrong.

Between the two statements, there's no room for error here.

BTW, did you have lots of Navy sex?

Comment

Only women claim to be always right.

You have a women's brain Asher, just admit it.
                              be free

Comment

Ah, no - That would have been rather difficult to achieve since I spent my 20 years in the ARMY...What have you done with your life so far Mr. Snuggles?
                                "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                                "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Working...
                                X