Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should your country boycott the Olympics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Theben
    No. Instead have the official U.S. uniforms include "Free Tibet" emblazoned across their chests.
    That's actually a really good idea.

Too bad any boycott of the Olympics would do jack****. If the rest of the world really wanted to have an effect on China, they would stop buying some much useless plastic shi*t and trinkets.

Comment

Useless ****
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson
        Boycotting the Olympics will accomplish nothing except to increase hostility on both sides. (Goods will accomplish that too, as well as drive a stake through the heart of the world economy, though that would at least not be as hypocritical as boycotting the Olympics while buying the goods.)

More flies with honey...
        I'd have to second this.

I think the big question with all the outrage against china is this:

1.) What goal are you trying to accomplish.
        2.) How are you going to accomplish it?

Because if it's a free tibet- that's a terrible proposition for all involved- including the tibetan people. If it's increased rights for tibetan people and religions, I can certainly support that- especially seeing as how part of the problem dates back to expanding rights for tibetans pre-2003, then after the new appointees/apparatchiks got settled after the 2002 leadership reshufling, they started rescinding rights- in order to "preserve harmony." That certainly backfired- just like it did for Louis XXVI in France...

ÎÒ²»ÊÇÖйúÈË¿ÉÊÇÎÒסÔÚÁËÄǸö¹ú¼Ò¡£

~DC.
        -->Visit CGN!
        -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

the best move by far would be for Tibetan athletes to come in.

Comment

Darkcloud, the issue for me is that China wants contact with the rest of the world on it's own terms. That's not going to happen, and they have gone so far as to say that anyone who refuses to abide by their rules can't come to the games.

That would be like Nazi Germany banning black athletes. I don't see how it is productive for athletes to participate in a Chinese Olympics, unless they are willing to allow everyone to come.

This Tibet thing is just one more example. They want to showcase themselves to the world, but not have the world bring themselves into China. It just doesn't work that way.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

No.

That would be like Nazi Germany banning black athletes. I don't see how it is productive for athletes to participate in a Chinese Olympics, unless they are willing to allow everyone to come.

Which athletes are being denied entry?
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I don't think it's a matter of athletes being denied entry. I'm entitiled to my opinion, and I don't think the Chinese government represents their people. Yeah, I know. Some smartass will say the same about USA or Britain. Go live in China. Drop us a line on how you like it so much better.

This isn't at you, Imran. It's at people who don't know how good they have it by comparison.
                I'll take my worst day over the average Chinese's best.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                  This isn't at you, Imran. It's at people who don't know how good they have it by comparison.
                  I'll take my worst day over the average Chinese's best.
                  Gratitude for the rights and luxuries available in your country isn't mutually exclusive with being critical when your country errs.

Comment

Everyone errs. You take the information available and make a decision and live with it. Hindsight doesn't count for ****.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Everyone errs. You take the information available and make a decision and live with it. Hindsight doesn't count for ****.
                      Yes. but sometimes your government is unquestionably wrong, (and I'm not talking about relatively small potatoes like bad intel leading to the accidental bombing of a hospital, or some such)

Comment

Thank you sir may I have another?
                        "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Since they have been pretty much commercialized, I don't give a **** about the Olympics anymore, be they in Beijing or elsewhere. Hence I don't care if my country boycotts it or not (it won't). This translates into the Apolyton fruit.

Comment

No.
                            The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Comment

Originally posted by Verto

Yes. but sometimes your government is unquestionably wrong, (and I'm not talking about relatively small potatoes like bad intel leading to the accidental bombing of a hospital, or some such)
                              My government. You really can be an ass, Verto.

Comment

I think the Olympics should boycott my country.
                                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Working...
                                X