Jobs for history grads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jobs for history grads

I have another few weeks left until I am done my exams. I am looking for some work over the summer that would fit my degree.

I have experience in my field, as well as in data entry and inventory.

What sorts of jobs are open for me as a history grad? I have a few ideas for where to start looking, but I wanted to get some more suggestions.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Shelf-stacking.

Comment

Jobs for history grads

Ask nye. He couldn't find a job so he created his own.

History grads have the same career choices as someone with a GED.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Five minutes.

You are slacking Asher.

Surely someone as wise and knowledgeable as you would actually have some helpful suggestions.

Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
          Surely someone as wise and knowledgeable as you would actually have some helpful suggestions.

Damn straight, I rolled my eyes at that comment too.

You got a history degree. Think about that. What would that help you do in the real world?

To me, it shows that somebody took their hobby interests over something practical, which is not encouraging for potential employees.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Obvious one is teaching at middle school or high school. Summer would mean teaching Summer school to kids who failed history during the year. Or subbing, to supplement something else.

Seasonal and history related - a job at a living history museum maybe, or some other historic site. Somebody to guide all the untrained volunteers, maybe?

Data entry and history - some kind of corporate archive work maybe. The methodology stuff of history, looking for and evaluating old records, can be useful in some corporate environments, I think, and maybe also for a law firm.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Analysis or use other skills as Asher suggested.

Jon Miller
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

LOTM:

Yeah, that's the plan for after. I'm going to try to get my certification in the US to teach down there.

Up here I would need another 2 years to teach.

Comment

Is anyone suing M$ these days for past monopolistic practices - going through and evaluating historical evidence, the nature of how evidence is covered up and distorted by domineering empires, should be very useful for that sort of thing.
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Data entry and history - some kind of corporate archive work maybe. The methodology stuff of history, looking for and evaluating old records, can be useful in some corporate environments, I think, and maybe also for a law firm.
                    Interesting idea. I have previous experience working for a law firm doing this sort of thing. That was a few summers ago.

Would there be more opportunities for someone who already has his degree?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                        Is anyone suing M$ these days for past monopolistic practices - going through and evaluating historical evidence, the nature of how evidence is covered up and distorted by domineering empires, should be very useful for that sort of thing.
                        Are you ****ting me?

You think they hire history majors to do this stuff?

Anyone who can read can look through old documents, it takes somebody with some smarts to figure out what they're looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

Interesting idea. I have previous experience working for a law firm doing this sort of thing. That was a few summers ago.

Would there be more opportunities for someone who already has his degree?
                          I dont know. But heres my suggestion. Instead of asking us, call up one of the lawyers you worked with at that job years ago. Dont say youre looking for a job with his firm. Dont go in thinking youre looking for a job with his firm. Tell him youre looking for advice and suggestions, and mean it. Ask to send him your resume, just so he'll better understand what youre looking for. When you meet him ask him all the good questions you can about historians at law firms, what degrees they should have, etc, etc. Then ask him for names of other people who could give you suggestions and advice. Ask him if you can use his name when you call them.

Then call them, say "John Doe said I should call you" (that can also get around the secretary) and repeat - IE ask for suggestion and advice, and MORE NAMES. See where it leads. Of course if one of those guys happens to HAVE an opening you fit, youve now got an inside track. Or, if they know of one in another firm, they will point you towards it. And at worst, you will get some suggestions and advice.

Thats one of the best ways to find a job in an area where the employers are not obvious, or the fit is not obvious.

It also gets you out and talking to people about your career interests, which is good practice for actual interviews.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                            You think they hire history majors to do this stuff?
                            No, but neither did he think you'd actually bite.
                            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

go to law school.
                              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Working...
                              X