Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You brought up the subject of MacInnis 'raping' the Oilers.

I think the record is relevant.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• By the way, as a reminder for everyone who doesn't remember -- Edmonton lost to St. Louis in the game MacInnis' jersey was retired.

They managed to score an amazing 1 goal against the legendary goaltender, BACASHIHUA.

I think your formula of "not participating in pre-game ceremony == winning" doesn't work, nye. Not participating didn't help you win, it made you look like tools, and it was ultimately disrespectful. You can stop making a fool of yourself and defending MacTavish at any time now.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Who has no clue about logic?

I didn't say they won.

I said the management didn't want the players to lose an edge, before the game.

Only you seem to think that coaches and managers should be seers.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
          You brought up the subject of MacInnis 'raping' the Oilers.

I think the record is relevant.
          I think the record that is relevant is how many GWG MacInnis has vs the Oilers. And, IIRC, it was many.

The number of cups isn't relevant.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• What planet do you live on?
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)

Comment

Who has no clue about logic?

I didn't say they won.

I said the management didn't want the players to lose an edge, before the game.
              Which is ridiculous. If you don't want them to lose an edge, the last thing you should do is bench them in the locker room for an hour like MacTavish did during the ceremony.

They'd have far more of an edge and an emotional spark participating in a ceremony commemorating one of the game's greats.

Comment

What planet do you live on?
                You're the one telling me in order to keep players from "losing an edge" it was best to bench them in the locker room for an hour, and that the number of stanley cups Edmonton won is somehow relevant to how much of a nuisance MacInnis was individually to Edmonton.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher

You're the one telling me in order to keep players from "losing an edge" it was best to bench them in the locker room for an hour, and that the number of stanley cups Edmonton won is somehow relevant to how much of a nuisance MacInnis was individually to Edmonton.
                  I didn't say it was a wise move, or that it was successful.

I said that it was understandable for the Oilers to do that before a game with the playoffs on the line and 4 games to go in the schedule.

Oh, and yes I think that Edmonton winning 5 Cups while MacInnis made a home with the Flames has some bearing on how badly he 'raped' the Oilers.

Really, Asher, get a grip.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)

Comment

Which is ridiculous. If you don't want them to lose an edge, the last thing you should do is bench them in the locker room for an hour like MacTavish did during the ceremony.

They'd have far more of an edge and an emotional spark participating in a ceremony commemorating one of the game's greats.
                    Let us know when you're a pro sports GM.

In fact, let us know what competitive team sports you've ever played.

I have a feeling it's gonna be a short list.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

• For the record, Asher didn't start this, I did .

I attended the Dickie Moore/Yvon Cournoyer retirement ceremony, and I watched the Boom Boom Ceremony. I know that if either the Leafs or the Rangers decided to not attend, for any reason at all, I would have been just as unpleased with them as I was to hear about what the Oil did.

As for the inconsiderate Blues, I really don't know when they decided to schedule the MacInnis thing, but I know the Habs scheduled their retirement ceremonies at the very beginning of the year. I don't find the Blues at fault.
                      Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

I didn't say it was a wise move, or that it was successful.

I said that it was understandable for the Oilers to do that before a game with the playoffs on the line and 4 games to go in the schedule.
                        I don't see how it can ever be understandable for a team to sit in the locker room for an hour before the game instead of paying tribute to one of the greatest defencemen of all time. It makes no sense, therefore it's not understandable.

It's only understandable when you think from the context of a mentally handicapped coach who thinks it'll accomplish something.

The reason you lost to one of the worst teams in the league (VERY nearly got shut out, I might add) with a VERY green goalie is because the move MacTavish made was absolutely ridiculous. Not understandable -- ridiculous.

Oh, and yes I think that Edmonton winning 5 Cups while MacInnis made a home with the Flames has some bearing on how badly he 'raped' the Oilers.
                        One defenceman can't sink a team with people like Gretsky on it. That much is obvious.

What is also obvious is MacInnis was a pain to Edmonton in that he injured his fair share of Oilers with his slapshot, he scored many times, and he was a great player they saw a lot of.

I have no idea why Edmontonians are so pathetic to even downplay MacInnis' contributions to Calgary's team, even to the point of the ever-present "HOW MANY CUPS" argument. This is precisely why I've decided I cannot cheer for Edmonton, because it just adds another tallymark for you to harp about when you say genuinely stupid things repeatedly, ended with "HOW MANY CUPS" like it instantly proves anything you say true.

Really, Asher, get a grip.
                        I firmly have a grip, you're the one spewing one nonsensical comment to another in some fascinating display of loyalty to one of the worst coaches in recent history who single-handedly destroyed two goaltenders in one season.

Your team sucks hard this series. You can't score to save your life, and the one game you did win this series was on a bad call. You're down 3-1 to an obviously more talented team. It's over. You're upset, I get that.

So go cry in your beer and admit it: the move to ignore MacInnis's retirement ceremony was not only rude and tactless, it didn't help the Oilers in any way. It was a dumb move. It's simple, really.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ninot
                          For the record, Asher didn't start this, I did .

I attended the Dickie Moore/Yvon Cournoyer retirement ceremony, and I watched the Boom Boom Ceremony. I know that if either the Leafs or the Rangers decided to not attend, for any reason at all, I would have been just as unpleased with them as I was to hear about what the Oil did.

As for the inconsiderate Blues, I really don't know when they decided to schedule the MacInnis thing, but I know the Habs scheduled their retirement ceremonies at the very beginning of the year. I don't find the Blues at fault.
                          If the team being played had anything at stake, I'm surprised they didn't ask the league to tell the team to reschedule it. That's what I'd have done.

And Boom Boom's ceremony was a month earlier in the schedule, but still not soon enough.

You don't see a problem with these things with 5 or 4 or 3 or 2 or on the last game of the schedule?
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)

Comment

Let us know when you're a pro sports GM.
                            Your GM didn't protest it, MacTavish did...

In fact, let us know what competitive team sports you've ever played.
                            Soccer, baseball, and tennis (hey, it was pairs).

Comment

Soccer, baseball, and tennis (hey, it was pairs).
                              I notice a lack of contact sports.

How many years, at what age?
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)

Comment

If the team being played had anything at stake, I'm surpirsed they didn't ask the league to tell the team to reschedule it. That's what I'd have done.

And Boom Boom's ceremony was a month earlier in the schedule, but still not soon enough.

Theoretically speaking, if the Oil played the Habs with 5 games left, and it was the Boom Boom night and the same unfortunate event happened, would the Oil be as defendable?

You don't see a problem with these things with 5 or 4 or 3 or 2 or on the last game of the schedule?

I do see a problem with planning it so late, but I also see how it might be reasonable. Maybe they did it specifically to have Pronger in the building? Maybe it was for attendance reasons? Heck, what if the Oil were 15th in the West, and the Blues were fighting for 8th? Would that just be dumb, or a move of inspiration? I'm not sure what a good reason would be, but I think Asher has a point that what the Oil did helped noone.
                                Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Working...
                                X