This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Asher
    There's no doubt about it, Gretzky, Messier, etc. certainly did do a lot of raping in Calgary.

Your logic and reasoning is truly astounding. I suppose you think this means that MacInnis was not a great player and certainly did not rape Edmonton (as an individual -- as in, he was the reason Edmonton lost sometimes to Calgary back in the day).
    Show us. All we have to go on is your bleating.

Oh, and I think you're a little hard on a few players, like Gilmour, MacDonald, Vernon...
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• This is like a broken record.

Asher: It's disrespectful to not attend a man's ceremony when you're in the building.

nye: But it was late in the schedule!

Asher: So Lowe should've protested to the NHL. He didn't. Ceremony went ahead, no one won by MacTavish's stupid idea to not attend the ceremony.

nye: But it was late in the schedule! And we have 5 cups.

Asher: Why does it matter how many cups you have?

nye: And look how many all-time scoring leaders we have!

Asher: WTF does that matter?

nye: No Oilers are jealous of MacInnis!

ad nausium.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
        Show us. All we have to go on is your bleating.
        If I have to show you MacInnis's numbers from his glory days, you're really not worth the time to talk to about it.

Oh, and I think you're a little hard on a few players, like Gilmour, MacDonald, Vernon...
        Not at all. Re-read what was said, and this time think about it.

History majors.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

What I am saying is that one man, MacInnis, who played 13 years for Calgary and was a thorn in Edmonton's side as one of Calgary's best players at the time, was being honoured and MacTavish essentially gave him the finger.
          And I'm saying it was MacTavish's job to look after the playoffs this year and he was right to tell the past of another club the Oilers had to play that night to go to hell if it would help his team.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Not at all. Re-read what was said, and this time think about it.

History majors.
            'MacInnis raped the Oilers'.

Code monkies might be able to bury whatever the hell they like in the comments. People who actually discuss things, like historians, have to have some sort of support for their wild ideas and blatant bull****.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)

Comment

And I'm saying it was MacTavish's job to look after the playoffs this year
              So he didn't do his job that night, because the Oilers lost to a team who at the time, dropped 13 in a row and had a very green goalie. You essentially played the St. Louis farm team and nearly got shut out.

It's MacTavish's job to make the team do well. Making them sit in the locker room for an hour does not do that.

It was a dumb move, not only from the perspective that it was rude and disrespectful, but from the common sensical perspective that you don't want your players sitting in a locker room for an hour before the game...

All you gotta do is admit it was a dumb move. Yes, the ceremony was late and should've been done another time -- I agree. But Lowe didn't protest, the ceremony happened. What I'm saying is MacTavish's decision was dumb and disrespectful.

Even in retrospect, I can't see how you cannot agree. The Oilers sucked that game...

Comment

This is like a broken record.
                Yes. Your inability to see a point is renowned.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)

Comment

'MacInnis raped the Oilers'.

Code monkies might be able to bury whatever the hell they like in the comments. People who actually discuss things, like historians, have to have some sort of support for their wild ideas and blatant bull****.
                  Okay, I didn't think I had to do this but:

MacInnis did not actually anally penetrate any Oilers players (that I know of). It was a figure of speech, because he was one of the best players at the time on a team in which the Oilers had an immense rivalry.

This comment was not made to the detriment of other players, such as MacDonald or Gilmour or Vernon. That was you being a historian -- pulling things out of your ass when they are convenient to fit the story you want to tell.

Comment

So he didn't do his job that night, because the Oilers lost to a team who at the time, dropped 13 in a row and had a very green goalie. You essentially played the St. Louis farm team and nearly got shut out.

It's MacTavish's job to make the team do well. Making them sit in the locker room for an hour does not do that.

It was a dumb move, not only from the perspective that it was rude and disrespectful, but from the common sensical perspective that you don't want your players sitting in a locker room for an hour before the game...

All you gotta do is admit it was a dumb move. Yes, the ceremony was late and should've been done another time -- I agree. But Lowe didn't protest, the ceremony happened. What I'm saying is MacTavish's decision was dumb and disrespectful.

Even in retrospect, I can't see how you cannot agree. The Oilers sucked that game...
                    They lost, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't have made the call he did.

And the Oilers sucked a lot of games. Your trying to make it a function of MacT's decision is some sort of leap of logic in its own right.

If the same thing happened next year with some other player, I would hope he would make the same call.

The problem was not with the Oilers, it was with the brain dead management of a club scheduling that sort of thing for the last 10 days of the schedule.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

Yes. Your inability to see a point is renowned.
                      The only point you've been making is that you've got your head so far up MacTavish's ass that you refuse to admit he made a mistake.

At the time it didn't make sense, in retrospect it clearly didn't make sense, yet here you are still defending it. You're even trying to deflect the point by talking about when it was scheduled, which is outside the scope of the argument.

The argument is, given the hands MacTavish was dealt -- the ceremony before the game was happening -- he made a disrespectful decision that was also stupid from a coaching perspective.

All you gotta do is admit that, but instead you're prancing around about how great the 80s Oilers were and illustrating Historian Logic and Reasoning by accusing others of missing the point.

Comment

• Oh, and I've heard the league will tell teams to stow the late season ceremonies.

So, who's in the wrong if that is the case?
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)

Comment

They lost, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't have made the call he did.
                          Are you serious?

This makes no sense at all. His decision benefitted no one -- his team lost, and he disrespected a hockey great. It was a bad decision. Simple.

The problem was not with the Oilers, it was with the brain dead management of a club scheduling that sort of thing for the last 10 days of the schedule.
                          AGAIN.

Please read carefully, and multiple times.

I agree the timing sucked. Lowe should've got the NHL to reschedule for next season, or -- preferably -- when the Blues played Calgary. Calgary would have gladly attended that ceremony, regardless of the date.

But that is not the point. The point is, the ceremony was happening due to Lowe's "brain dead management" of not protesting. The point of contention is now MacTavish's decision of how to deal with it.

He made the wrong decision.

Comment

The only point you've been making is that you've got your head so far up MacTavish's ass that you refuse to admit he made a mistake.

At the time it didn't make sense, in retrospect it clearly didn't make sense, yet here you are still defending it. You're even trying to deflect the point by talking about when it was scheduled, which is outside the scope of the argument.
                            That is the entire argument!

There wouldn't be an argument if the thing had not happened in the last 10 days of the season!

The argument is, given the hands MacTavish was dealt -- the ceremony before the game was happening -- he made a disrespectful decision that was also stupid from a coaching perspective.
                            Says you.

Many disagree.

All you gotta do is admit that, but instead you're prancing around about how great the 80s Oilers were and illustrating Historian Logic and Reasoning by accusing others of missing the point.
                            You brought up the record, doofus.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)

Comment

Oh, and I've heard the league will tell teams to stow the late season ceremonies.

So, who's in the wrong if that is the case?
                              YET AGAIN

Many people were wrong here, it was a cascade of idiocy.

The Blues management was wrong: I agree it was wrong to schedule the ceremony that late.
                              Kevin Lowe was wrong: He should've protested this before the ceremony took place.
                              MacTavish was wrong: He should've accepted the ceremony was happening regardless if he threw his tantrum and give MacInnis the respect he is due.
                              You are wrong: For backing up MacTavish's disrespectful decision that also harmed the Oilers

Comment

Are you serious?

This makes no sense at all. His decision benefitted no one -- his team lost, and he disrespected a hockey great. It was a bad decision. Simple.
                                And if they'd won?

Every coach who pulls a goalie and gets an empty net against is a moron, eh?
                                (\__/)
                                (='.'=)

Comment

Working...
                                X