X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by notyoueither
    Says you.

Many disagree.
    So far, only you. There was lots of controversy both here and in St. Louis (and apparently elsewhere if Ninot knew about it in Montreal).

No one gained, many people lost. That's what's called a "bad decision", even if you have to do it in retrospect. Deflecting the blame to higher levels is valid in this case, but it doesn't excuse MacTavish in any way.

You brought up the record, doofus.
    No, I didn't. What a great historian you are if you can't even keep track of what's happening in this thread.

Though I guess that's why you build personal computers for a living.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
      Kevin Lowe was wrong: He should've protested this before the ceremony took place.
      MacTavish was wrong: He should've accepted the ceremony was happening regardless if he threw his tantrum and give MacInnis the respect he is due.
      You are wrong: For backing up MacTavish's disrespectful decision that also harmed the Oilers
      I'll love to see your posts next year when Messier gets retired in the last week of the season, before a game against Calgary, if Calgary is in a play off dog fight.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

And if they'd won?

Every coach who pulls a goalie and gets an empty net against is a moron, eh?
        You're equating his decision to gambling, essentially.

I very much disagree. I could have told you well before it happened (and, if memory serves, I did in the NHL thread was it was occuring) that leaving players to stew in the locker room is a terrible idea, and that they'd benefit more from the inspiration of seeing a hockey great have his jersey retired.

I do not see this as a gambling decision, like pulling the goalie. I see it as a common sense decision. I honestly cannot fathom how MacTavish thought his team would benefit from sitting in the locker room, bored, for one hour before the game while the other team was getting pumped up seeing a hockey legend have his jersey retired.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I'll love to see your posts next year when Messier gets retired in the last week of the season, before a game against Calgary, if Calgary is in a play off dog fight.
          Why? I would absolutely expect Calgary to attend the ceremony -- especially if Sutter is still the coach.

In fact, I would have no problems with the ceremony occurring this late in the season. I think if the team's mindset is proper, they can get pumped up by it.

I would like to think if I was a hockey player, and I was at a game where Messier was in attendance and being paid tribute to, I'd want to play a helluva game.

Comment

The real reason Edmonton refused to participate in the ceremony was because MacInnis raped Edmonton for years when he was with Calgary, there's no way they'd honor him.
            Originally posted by Asher

It's not imaginary. MacInnis riddled Edmonton with back-breaking goals for years and was reviled in Edmonton.
            MacInnis was a great player that caused a lot of problems for Edmonton while he played for Calgary, regardless how many times you won a cup.

I think the record that is relevant is how many GWG MacInnis has vs the Oilers. And, IIRC, it was many.

The number of cups isn't relevant.

No, I didn't. What a great historian you are if you can't even keep track of what's happening in this thread.

Though I guess that's why you build personal computers for a living.
            OK, Cptn. Malfunction.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• So which of those quotes did I bring up team records? Remember, here's our exchange:
              Me:
              All you gotta do is admit that, but instead you're prancing around about how great the 80s Oilers were

You:

Me:
              No, I didn't.

You:
              The above post containing references to MacInnis's individual accomplishments vs MacTavish's team.

I seem to be bringing up a lot of facts illustrating that MacInnis was a great player, as he was the topic of contention. I seem to be illustrating that one potential reason MacTavish refused to be part of the ceremony was because MacTavish and MacInnis played against eachother in the Battle of Alberta for many years, and MacInnis was a big part of the Calgary team.

You then started talking about the 1980s Oilers and all their cups and great players, etc. Which is not related in the slightest to the reasoning why MacTavish chose not to attend the ceremony.

Comment

• You seem to be pulling **** out of your ass, and hard pressed to back it up, as usual.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)

Comment

• Pay attention, dear,
                  MacInnis raped Edmonton for years

I don't call 4 and 1 in the playoffs being raped.

What colour is the sky on your planet?
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)

Comment

• So what **** am I pulling from my ass?

1. MacInnis was a great player
                    2. MacInnis played against MacTavish's Oilers, against which he scored many goals

I do not think I need to back up either 1 or 2, to anyone who can consider themselves a hockey fan...if you need me to back that up, go to hockeydb.org or google or something. Do I need to define "defenceman" for you, too?

Comment

• Oh, and it is a team sport, doofus.

The records aren't set in some isolated arena.

Gretsky raped teams. MacInnis? Bwahahahahaha!
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)

Comment

So what **** am I pulling from my ass?

1. MacInnis was a great player
                        2. MacInnis played against MacTavish's Oilers, against which he scored many goals

I do not think I need to back up either 1 or 2, to anyone who can consider themselves a hockey fan...if you need me to back that up, go to hockeydb.org or google or something. Do I need to define "defenceman" for you, too?
                        And all of which have precisely zero to do with Edmonton making a management decision in 2005-06 with 4 games to go.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)

Comment

Pay attention, dear,
                          MacInnis raped Edmonton for years

I don't call 4 and 1 in the playoffs being raped.
                          I've corrected you on this four times now.

Your stats would be correct if I said:
                          Calgary raped Edmonton for years

But I didn't, did I? Since I specified an individual, MacInnis, it very clearly refers to his contributions specifically (goals, assists, +/-, Oiler injuries, etc).

Quoting team records is not a rebuttal.

If you want to assert that MacInnis was not a significant player that played against Edmonton a lot, that's your call. But it's high time you drop this strawman. I realize Edmonton had much better records in the 80s. I also realize that players on the team can "rape" other teams if they're good -- take Ovechkin on Washington, for instance.

You can quote me Washington's records all you want, but that doesn't invalidate the claim that Ovechkin can rape other teams.

Comment

• Strawman!

You're hilarious!
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)

Comment

And all of which have precisely zero to do with Edmonton making a management decision in 2005-06 with 4 games to go.
                              That's subject to opinion though. I very much believe that, because it was MacInnis in particular -- and given the history between MacTavish and MacInnis -- this played a role.

That's speculation of course, but I also labeled it as such...

But it does have something to do with this decision, in my opinion. The stats of Oilers in the 80s, however, has absolutely nothing to do with this. It's another example of Edmontonians being clueless braggarts whenever possible.

Comment

• And strawmen.

(\__/)
                                (='.'=)

Comment

Working...
                                X