Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And if you want to junk everything other than RT wins and losses, why not turn it on the head and look at RT losses?

The Oilers have fewer RT losses (28) than the 2000 Devils (29) the 1993 Canadians (30) the 1992 and 1991 Penguins (32 and 33)...
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
      I saw the idiot with the Calgary Blows sign. There's at least one moron in most crowds.

I'm not sure why someone would be thinking of Calgary at this point in time, or why people in Calgary would care what an idiot has to say.
      It should be an NHL rule that at every game, no matter if Calgary is playing or not, that someone should have a "Calgary Blows" or "Calgary Sucks" sign.
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Well obviously people disagree, but I think the best way to look at it is how a team did by the rules in effect for that season. How many points out of how many possible. By that measure the Oilers are above the pct of many winners since 1945.
        Right, but there weren't as many teams back then either. The fewer teams, the easier it is for a weaker team to sneak into the playoffs and do well. The Leafs of 49 are one case.

If we look at just the top 8 seeds, the Oilers will have the distinction of being the worst team to make the finals, as an 8 seed. There were 7 other teams that were better then the Oilers in just their own half of the league, which puts them at best about a true .500 team.

Comparing them against their peers is really the only way to get a true measure of someone's accomplishments, this is how they do the statistics in baseball to get a sense of how well an individual season's performance stands up to the best. They look at all the seasons, and thus get a chance to adjust for rule changes.

The same is here for Edmonton.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• OK, but the Oilers are not the worst team in the playoffs. They had more points than two (Montreal and Tampa Bay) and as many as Colorado. There were also 14 teams that missed the playoffs.

Nobody is going to say the Oilers had a banner year, but they were not in the bottom half of the league either.

In any case, should they win they will have proved only one thing. They are the best in the playoffs.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Playoff wins are the only ones that really matter.
            ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
              In any case, should they win they will have proved only one thing. They are the best in the playoffs.
              To be pedantic, that's not necessarily the case.

They did the best, as in they advanced the farthest (if that happens), does not always mean they are the best. Teams that very well may beat Edmonton may've been eliminated earlier in the playoffs by a team that Edmonton could/did beat. The game is funny like that.

I don't think very many people in the league would say Edmonton was the best team, even if they do go and win the cup. Most people that end up cheering for Edmonton (that are not Edmontonians) end up doing it because it'd be almost comical if they do win the cup.

I'm rooting for Buffalo, myself.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher

You would. Anyone else would root for the remaining Alberta team. What will you do if they win the Stanley Cup? Explain that they realy aren't that good? Rationalize? Cry?

Let's go Oilers! Lets go!
                Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

• Guess I'll head down to Whyte Ave. See ya!
                  Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

• 12 down. 4 to go.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

• Originally posted by techumseh
                      You would. Anyone else would root for the remaining Alberta team. What will you do if they win the Stanley Cup? Explain that they realy aren't that good? Rationalize? Cry?

Let's go Oilers! Lets go!
                      I can't bring myself to support a team with so many douches I've seen watching their games on TV, and that's not even mentioning the people on forums like this.

So many "bad fans" that I really can't find myself cheering for them. Buffalo, on the other hand, really impresses me.

If Edmonton wins the stanley cup, I'd be very upset with the league. Shootout wins shouldn't count for points, for instance. As far as I'm concerned, Edmonton didn't play well enough in the regular season to make the playoffs.

The regular season should be more than exhibition games, if Edmonton can't win more than they lose in the regular season they have no place in the playoffs.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Heck at least Calgary got to go to the playoffs.

Vancouver got knocked out by the oilers.

That being said, go OILERS.

Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• I can't bring myself to support a team with so many douches I've seen watching their games on TV, and that's not even mentioning the people on forums like this.

So many "bad fans" that I really can't find myself cheering for them. Buffalo, on the other hand, really impresses me.
                          Right. Like you have cause to be bitter. Hey, Calgary knocked off the Canucks last playoffs on their way to the finals, and then Edmonton displaced them and went to the finals this year.

If Calgary could beat Anaheim, then they could be in charge of their destiny.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher

Damn, that means Carolina will win.
                            Golfing since 67

Comment

• Congrats to the Oilers, and their fans. I thought taking down Detroit was just a fluke, but the Oilers are proving themselves to be champions.

I envy the folks in Alberta.
                              Golfing since 67

Comment

• What a tip by Torres!

I'll admit, the lopsidedness of game 4 had me a little unnerved. Still, the Oilers showed that they have whatever that spark is that you need to win playoff games. Let's hope that they use the week off better than most teams have this year.

Roll on, Roli!
                                "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
                                "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
                                "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

Working...
                                X