Damn hobos and squeegies...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kidicious
    If you treat them differently then it's prejudice. For example, I was at a laundry mat the other day, and the owner told a homeless man that he couldn't dry his cloths because his clothes stunk. I didn't smell the mans cloths. Maybe they did stink, but the guy should be able to dry his clothes just like everyone else.
    I would say prejudice is discrimination without a reason.

In your example, if the man's clothes really did smell bad, that would be a fair reason not letting him dry them. OTOH, if that wasn't true, it would be prejudice (i.e. the owner looked down upon on the other man just because he's a hobo).
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

To answer the OP...

I don't give money to any beggars, homeless persons, etc. since I can't tell who is a professional and who isn't. What I do is I donate to charities that help these people and work as a volunteer in my spare time.
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Okay, so what are the membership benefits of the Beggars' Association?
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

lesson one: NEVER give money to gypsies
          I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

lesson one: NEVER give money to gypsies
            If you don't, they'll curse you, make your penis shrivel off
            Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Fact: I once represented a homeless guy charged with public intoxication.....

due to generic listerine.

Indiana does not allow alcohol sales on Sundays, but the dollar store is open 7 days a week.

:vomit:

Comment

If you don't, they'll curse you, make your penis shrivel off

pah!
                I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                  Okay, so what are the membership benefits of the Beggars' Association?
                  Primarily strength in numbers. Beggars (supposedly) got harrassed unfairly by the cops, got beat up by bodyguards, etc.

Comment

i dole out money based on the entertainment value of their signs. the man with the sign that said: "need money for booze, drugs, and hookers. at least i ain't ****tin' ya." [i]got a twenty from me.
                    I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                    [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

i like the guy that has "fishing for beer" with a cup on the end of a fishing pole and a fake goldfish in the cup.
                      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Depends, if I have the change, and I don't know the person, I will.

But there are a few that always hang out where I am, and always ask me for change.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I've been known to put something into the hat, but I'm just as likely to offer to help them find a shelter.
                          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

For me, begging is a job like any other...if you can entertain, make me laugh, or whatever, you might get money...but if you're an ******* and get in my face you won't get ****.

The one routine I really hate is the 'I just need X dollars to get my bus/train/whatever'....because I'm a generous guy and hey it must happen sometimes....usually I have a '6 sense' though that the guy is actually just trolling for dollars.
                            "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                            "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                            "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Originally posted by self biased
                              i dole out money based on the entertainment value of their signs. the man with the sign that said: "need money for booze, drugs, and hookers. at least i ain't ****tin' ya." [i]got a twenty from me.
                              yeah that was me. That $20 came in handy. Thanks.

Comment

We have a lot of homeless in my city. Great weather will do that. It always amazes me there are so many homeless in cities such as New York city and Montreal. But then again, they have better services. We don't have many social services for homeless. In fact, it's all charity I believe. The goverment doesn't do much to help the homeless in my city.

But the homeless aren't real aggressive in my city. They mainly wait at freeway off ramps for money. Eventually the police may stop by to arrest/harrass them. They never say anything when I ignore them and don't roll my window down. Sometimes I feel bad about that. But I ain't exactly rich. I could get injured and not be able to work again. Yeah I know that's a thin excuse. But I'm the type of guy who likes to be ready for anything. So I do save money. And I'm not about to give it away. In case something bad happens, I'll need that money.

New Orleans is/was bad. You go there, and everyone wants to shine your shoes etc. Even though I had on running shoes/sneakers. I'm not sure how it is now though. Other cities I've been to don't seem to have much of a homeless problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X