This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10-10 now.

If San Fran loses they get the #3 pick, if they lose, they could be anywhere from 4-7 (depends on what happens with other teams)
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
      Interesting stat... the Arizona Cardinals finished in the Top 10 in yardage for both OFFENSE and DEFENSE... the only other team to do so is Indianapolis. Yet, the Cardinals are 5-11. It may be because they are 27th in points allowed. A stunning disparity, but that's why they are the Arizona Cardinals.
      They also have a -10 turnover differential (tied for 4th worst in the NFL)... which might have something to do with that.

Arizona also played a lot of tough teams... 8 games against teams above .500

They were matched up against the NFC East (Giants, Cowboys, Redskins), which hurt them; also they played the AFC South (Colts, Jaguars). The Indy game was week 17, but nevertheless, the Cardinals still had a tough schedule to contend with this year.

Overall, I'd say the Cardinals are probably better team than say, the Vikings, but the record won't reflect it because of the tough schedule Arizona had.

But that's how the NFL works because teams only play 16 games... so the schedule is limited.

That being said, however, you can only play the teams on your schedule, and you've got to make the most of it. All the Cardinals can do is hope for a good draft, a better schedule next year, and hope that they take some teams by surprise next season.
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Cards gotta get a running game. Arrington wasn't the answer, though that perhaps that is an offensive line issue.

And the turnover margin is what I meant by "that's why they are the Arizona Cardinals" .

Btw, Houston is now up 17-10. Someone should tell them what their draft status is .
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

And the turnover margin is what I meant by "that's why they are the Arizona Cardinals" .
          oh...

because you said it was a "stunning disparity" between the Cardinals defense in yardage allowed and points allowed...

but it's not a stunning disparity if you take into account their turnover differential... because of the points given up off of turnovers

but I'm sure that's what you meant
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Cardinals also suck at red zone efficiency. A team that kicks a field goal every drive is going to lose to one that scores a touchdown every drive.

If half of the 45 or so FGs they've kicked were touchdowns, they'd be in the playoffs.
            "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

• /me points and laughs at Jonny.
              "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Comment

• Hmm, 40-7. Now it's only somewhat laughable.

Comment

• because you said it was a "stunning disparity" between the Cardinals defense in yardage allowed and points allowed...

Well, even with the turnover margin, it is fairly stunning of a disparity. Basically the turnovers, by themselves, don't explain it; it is probably what TYPE of turnovers. Usually teams with high turnover margins don't do that well in yardage allowed either (because they don't get takeaways themselves). I imagine it is because a lot of those turnovers are deep in their own territory. Shows some stunning incompetance (throwing a lot of ints in their own end or a lot of fumbles).

Comment

• Houston and San Fran at tied at 17 in OT!!

Comment

• San Fran is DEEP in Houston territory and unless they **** it up, it seems Houston wins the Reggie Bush bowl!

Comment

• GO HOUSTON
                        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• ... and that Bears game was depressing. Not sure why I watched ... morbid fascination?
                          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Houston loses!!

Houston gets the #1 draft pick. New Orleans is #2.

Comment

• New Orleans is absolutely going to draft a QB. Young or Leinart. They've decided Brooks is no longer a suitable starter, and they do have plenty of talent elsewhere on offense. Joe Horn and Deuce McAllister should return, and Donte Stallworth had a breakout season this year. Az Zahir Hakim is among the league's better #3 WRs.

Comment

Well, even with the turnover margin, it is fairly stunning of a disparity. Basically the turnovers, by themselves, don't explain it; it is probably what TYPE of turnovers. Usually teams with high turnover margins don't do that well in yardage allowed either (because they don't get takeaways themselves). I imagine it is because a lot of those turnovers are deep in their own territory. Shows some stunning incompetance (throwing a lot of ints in their own end or a lot of fumbles).
                                It's not really that huge a disparity considering the turnovers.

Scoring wise, if they only prevent teams from scoring one less field goal per game, they are closer to the middle of the pack in the NFL in scoring defense. And yardage wise, if they give up 15 more yards per game on defense, they are between New Orleans and Seattle... again, around the middle of the pack. That's about one decent first down pass per game.

So you are reading way too much out of the NFL rankings here. You need to look at the actual numbers and put them in perspective.

Usually teams with high turnover margins don't do that well in yardage allowed either
                                uhhhmmm what?

Do you know how the turnover differential works? It's Takeaways minus giveaways. One has little to do with the other.

3 of the top 10 defenses in yardage allowed have double digit negative turnover differentials... (Green Bay, Baltimore, Arizona) that's because their OFFENSES turn the ball over. Their OFFENSES turning the ball over does not really affect their defenses' ability to prevent opponents offenses from gaining yards. Although, it does often put them in bad field position, which leads to more points allowed.

Also, the #12 and #13 defenses in the NFL in yardage allowed (San Diego and the Jets), have turnover differentials of -8 and -10, respectively. Those defenses are within 10 yards per game of Arizona's defense.

Washington's defense was #7 and they were -4 for turnovers as a team.

So again... having a high negative turnover differentials doesn't really affect your yardage allowed as a defense. It just means that YOUR OFFENSE IS TURNING THE BALL OVER.
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X