Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince" out tomorrow!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well HP does have its own logic. Once you accept the basic premise, everything flows from that. However, horcruxes are just something out of left field really.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Sorry, I still don't buy this backfiring horcrux theory. The counter-curse provided by Harry's mum's sacrifice should surely have protected him from being made a horcrux, even accidently.

Comment

• Then how do you explain Harry getting some of Voldemort's powers, the ability to speak parseltongue, his insight into Voldemort's moods?
        Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

• And whether Snape is evil or not, its hard to decide. In fact, it could go both ways. Facts points in both direction. Remember, he not only made the unbreakable vow to protect Draco, but also to carry out the task Voldemort gave to Draco, even though Snape didn't know at the time that Voldemort told Draco to kill Dumbledore. Snape obviously lied to Narcissa and Bellatrix when he told them that he knew about the plan, otherwise he wouldn't have questioned Draco about it later on.
          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

• I think he questioned Draco about how he planned to do it, not what he was going to do.

Comment

• Possibly. But, again, the clues point both ways. He could be questioning Draco about how he plans to do it, or he could be questioning him to know both, what's his mission and how he plans to do it. Anyway, speculating about all this is a waste of time, since Rowling made damn sure the clues point in a number of directions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sandman
                Sorry, I still don't buy this backfiring horcrux theory. The counter-curse provided by Harry's mum's sacrifice should surely have protected him from being made a horcrux, even accidently.
                Since a horcrux is far more dark magic than simply the killing curse, why would it have been able to protect Harry?
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• This is beyond nerd.. this is just.. sad.
                  In da butt.
                  "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                  THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                  "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pekka
                    This is beyond nerd.. this is just.. sad.
                    Isn't it about time you write an absurdly long post about thoroughly thrashing a group of prepubescent punks?

Comment

• Verto:

Comment

• that isn't sad though.. that's .. divine.
                        In da butt.
                        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pekka
                          This is beyond nerd.. this is just.. sad.
                          Yes, we're definitely not sponge worthy right now. I'm trying to cut down myself, and managed to drastically cut down my nerd ways, but as you can see, your inner nerd sadly never goes completely away.

Comment

• Nerds unite!!

People should watch the end of "Revenge of the Nerds" again!

Comment

• Originally posted by nostromo
                              Then how do you explain Harry getting some of Voldemort's powers, the ability to speak parseltongue, his insight into Voldemort's moods?
                              The explination need not be that of Hoxcrux. After all, Ginny while possesed by the soul of Voldermort did not have any insights into anything, and in fact was unaware of the role she was playing, and a puppet of Voldermort.

We have already seens hoxcrux in action, in the seocnd book, and the behavior of someone controlled by a piece of his soul is very different from the "feelings" Potter gets.

Even if we don;t know much about these things, having part of the soul of someone inside you must be an extremely radical thing.

Perhaps Voldemorts plan was to make Harry a Hoxcrux in the first place and that plan failed, hence the scar, whatever.

I seriously doubt part of your soul going into another person is something that can EVER be accidental.
                              If you don't like reality, change it! me
                              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• An addendum to my earlier post, regarding Harry's other friends...

Actually, the two (former) students I'd most want at my side, by far, are Fred and George. Rowling has made a point in the last two books of commenting on how incredibly clever and skilled they really are, in spite of their academic difficulties. I think they will have much more to do in the next book apart from running their shop.
                                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                                X