Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince" out tomorrow!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumbledore said "only a true Gryffindor would be able to..." - which could be read either way really. I'm sure it would have been mentioned already if he was, especially in relation to Voldemort choosing him over Neville.
    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

• However, after the book-long implication that Harry was actually a descendant of Slytherin, that statement heavily implies that Harry is actually a descendant of Gryffindor. I'd agree with you otherwise, but with the Parseltongue and everything else going in...
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer
        I thought it was already known that Harry was a direct descendant of Gryffindor? Wasn't this explained (or at least heavily implied) at the end of COS?
        I just thought of my second point and then I saw this post (which is related).

The evidence to date (scanty though it is) suggests that Harry's father was pureblood. Given that all purebloods are related to some degree, it would mean that Harry is related to the Blacks, Malfoys, etc and Voldemort.

I doubt that it means anything, but it popped into my head earlier (and then I forgot it).
        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I thought it was already known that Harry was a direct descendant of Gryffindor? Wasn't this explained (or at least heavily implied) at the end of COS?
          Nope... just a true Gryffindor student. Nothing indicates that he'd directly related, though that may be a revelation.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Hasn't this reached the post limit for closure yet?
            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• 200 more Harry Potter posts to go. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride.

Slughard Finally a Slytherin character who isn't totally evil. Sure, he's a vain, pompous, social-climbing jackass, but his heart appears to be in the right place.

Comment

• SlugHORN, Guy .

Yeah, and I liked him. I still have some home from other Slytherin's to prove themselves.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Yes, of course, Slughorn.

What Rowling did with Draco was really quite remarkable.

She took this sniveling little stuck-up horse's ass who we all hate, and escalated him from petty bullying to full-blown pure evil. And at the same time, she actually made him sympathetic, something which had seemed impossible up to this point.

I still don't think he's going to amount to any good whatsoever, despite what Snape did for him. No matter what Riddle decides to do to him or his parents, there is no way Draco turns to the good side.

Comment

• He could do something semi-heroic. You know, something that keeps him out of Azkaban.

Comment

• I hate that little twerp. Even though Rowling made me feel a twinge of sympathy for him, I hope Riddle AK's him into oblivion. Or Bellatrix Cruciatuses him into madness. Or Grayback just rips out his effing throat.

Comment

However, after the book-long implication that Harry was actually a descendant of Slytherin, that statement heavily implies that Harry is actually a descendant of Gryffindor. I'd agree with you otherwise, but with the Parseltongue and everything else going in...
                        taken from this interview

MA: What about Harry's family — his grandparents — were they killed?

JKR: No. This takes us into more mundane territory. As a writer, it was more interesting, plot-wise, if Harry was completely alone. So I rather ruthlessly disposed of his entire family apart from Aunt Petunia. I mean, James and Lily are massively important to the plot, of course, but the grandparents? No. And, because I do like my backstory: Petunia and Lily's parents, normal Muggle death. James's parents were elderly, were getting on a little when he was born, which explains the only child, very pampered, had-him-late-in-life-so-he's-an-extra-treasure, as often happens, I think. They were old in wizarding terms, and they died. They succumbed to a wizarding illness. That's as far as it goes. There's nothing serious or sinister about those deaths. I just needed them out of the way so I killed them.

MA: That sort of shuts down Heir of Gryffindor [theories], as well.

JKR: [Pause.] Yeah. Well - yeah
                        So the Gryffindor heir theory is now pretty much shot down.

Comment

• WOOOT! Part 3 of the interview is up! Thanks Nacht. I didn't notice .

Time to read it .

Comment

• I had a crazy idea as to who R.A.B. might be, aside from Regulus Black.

Maybe it's Bertie Botts... also known as Robert Botts?

Comment

• Got the book yesterday, and finished in only 5 hours of reading. Now that is lightspeed. I am normally a midnight person, but I am on vacation in Spain and I was having fun doing other stuff. Plus they are fairly rare and expensive over here.

I think the most important question is whether Snape is a Judas figure (bad through and through,) or... an Edmund figure, (Referring to the Narnia Chronicles, of course, where Edmund betrays Aslan but gets redeemed) or something entirely different, someone who killed Dumbledore on Dumbledores own orders.

I will have to reread carefully for textual clues at some point. However, I am loaning my copy to a pretty girl. Having geeky hobbies in common

RAB is Regulus Black. Harry Potter plots might be convoluted, but they are not packed with red herrings. Do not overanalyze.

I think the series is every bit as much a story of Severus Snape as it is a story of Harry Potter at this point. Kind of like how Star Wars became the story of Darth Vader. Personally I think Snape is out for himself and himself only, but I am unsure.

Imran, Harry/Luna always looked stupid. Ron and Hermione was made clear in GoF, and Harry and Ginny was made clear one book later. Remus and Tonks was a kind of random pairing proposed by fans, so I am surprised it made it into the books.

I liked the reference to the movies, where Slughorn mistakenly calls Ron "Rupert."

I really liked the memories of Tom. I thought they were well done.

The final word: Harry as a horcrux is a decent theory, but not a brilliant one. So calm down.
                              "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

• Harry/Luna always looked stupid.

Not to some (who haven't posted so much on this thread)... who consistently argued that it was going to be the case.

Comment

Working...
                                X