Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince" out tomorrow!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumbledore had clearly explained the "mark him as his equal" bit. Neville is nobody.

Not yet. There was still time to mark Neville as an equal though. Hell, there possibly still is, but likely won't happen. I can see those who clung (or still do) to that theory though.

There is no suspense at light-speed.

Then read slower!
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Immortal Wombat

Totally different. Borgins isn't acting Death Eater (as Snape appears to be), he's just not standing up to them. He's playing the bullyable but idealogically neutral wizard-on-the-street. R.A.B. took a side and made a stand. He clearly had been a death eater, clearly pissed off Voldemort to the point where he was expecting to die, and then went for the horcrux. It doesn't make sense for Borgins to destroy a horcrux, and then go back to his job and act like nothing had happened.
      and even then, it said that R.A.B. was long dead... could it be remus lupin? he could have changed his name...
      I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
      [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

• Originally posted by aneeshm
        After all, the only thing the curse does is unlink the body and the soul. Does this mean that, in case Harry is shot at by Avada Kedavra (and assuming he is a Horcrux), he might be saved, as it is only Voldemort's soul that is getting unlinked from Harry's body?
        That's the only scenario in which I could buy the "Harry is a horcrux" theory. And it would actually provide for an interesting cliffhanger (even if it's probably way too much deus ex machina).
        CGN | a bunch of incoherent nonsense
        Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
        Mystique & Aura: Appearing Nightly @ Yankee Stadium! | Red & Pewter Pride
        Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

Comment

• Wow, so "people are shocked!? That is the arguement?

Did Dumbledore give Harry bad info? Another mistake by Dumdledore?

I'd think if Dumbledore knew or had the slightest inkling Harry was a horcrux, it may involve his emotions.

Yes, it makes so much emotional sense- lets let the kid I have helped and taught and trusted and helped, lets let him find out by himself he has to die...yup..

He may not have been. But we are going from what we know. It's almost certain that Dumbledore is correct about Voldemort making horcruxes of himself, after Slughorn's memory and finding the locket. As for their being 7. We have no idea if that is true, but sounds plausible.

Use your imagination. How would Harry find out what the other horcruxes even are or where they are located? How does he figure out how to destroy them?

I'm guessing R.A.B. may have something to do with it.

RAB, if it was Remus Black, is already dead. Thought Slughorn might have more inbfo, given that he knew what Hoxcruxes were and what it takes to make one.

And none of that still has anything to do with the "Harry is a HOxcrux" Crud.

And why wouldn't he be able to split off another part of his soul after killing Harry if he knows a couple of his pieces are already dead (though it seems that he doesn't know)?

Why does it seem he does not know? We have no way of knowing whether he knows abou the ring- he certaily knows about the Diary, and we don;t know if the locket was destroyed.

As fpr him making more Hoxcruxes, maybe he never made the 6th and is still waiting to make it after killing Potter.

It was at the end of Book 5. And I don't think we've seen the last of Neville. It would be a great ending if Neville was the one who turned the tide and killed Bellatrix and then helped dispose of Voldemort.

I think Rowling is trying to clearly tell us Harry is the chosen one... but if not, it would definetly be intriguing.
          Lets me note you never once commented on the issue of all the HOxcruxes having to be eliminated prior to trying to kill Voldermort incanate. It would be more than just "emotions" not to tell Harry he was one of the things that must die before Voldermort can possibly be killed.
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Indeed... I mean others all over the internet have been able to discuss various theories, but GePap seems to be taking it personally calling things "stupid" and whatnot. One wonders if he's got a big bet on this sort of thing.

One thing about Rowling, she likes the unexpected. Plot twists within plot twists within plot twists.
            I think its is a rather silly set of specualtions. Its nonsense.

Comment

• Originally posted by GePap
              Wow, so "people are shocked!? That is the arguement?
              When people are surprised by something, that is usually an indication that it is a surprise .

Yes, it makes so much emotional sense- lets let the kid I have helped and taught and trusted and helped, lets let him find out by himself he has to die...yup..

Or Dumbledore couldn't bear to entertain the thought that Harry was a horcrux. Or Dumbledore just couldn't bear telling Harry (like he couldn't bear telling Harry about the prophecy until he reached his 5th year) until later. Unless you are saying Dumbledore planned to die so soon.

Hell, 'let him find out by himself' is exactly what Dumbledore did with the prophecy.

As fpr him making more Hoxcruxes, maybe he never made the 6th and is still waiting to make it after killing Potter.

So now you are disputing Dumbledore's words after poo-pooing me for doing the same?

Lets me note you never once commented on the issue of all the HOxcruxes having to be eliminated prior to trying to kill Voldermort incanate. It would be more than just "emotions" not to tell Harry he was one of the things that must die before Voldermort can possibly be killed.

I think it was quite obvious what I thought about Dumbledore's pronouncement. It may not be correct. After all, it is still good for Harry to go after the rest of the horcruxes first without racking his brain on how to deal with himself as one.

And there is no evidence that Dumbledore thought he actually was going to die that soon. He probably thought that they would go hunting more horcruxes and (if he knew) could reveal the truth to Harry later on, when he thought Harry could take it better. Maybe Dumbledore was looking for a way to negate a horcrux without destroying the body it is kept in before revealing the truth to Harry, so he could save him without worrying him too much.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• I thought this was going to be the last book.
                meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

• Comment

When people are surprised by something, that is usually an indication that it is a surprise .
                    MOst American's would be surprised, given their ignorance, that Allah= Christian God. Does that make it "a surprise"?

Or Dumbledore couldn't bear to entertain the thought that Harry was a horcrux. Or Dumbledore just couldn't bear telling Harry (like he couldn't bear telling Harry about the prophecy until he reached his 5th year) until later. Unless you are saying Dumbledore planned to die so soon.

Hell, 'let him find out by himself' is exactly what Dumbledore did with the prophecy.

There is a difference between finding out "you are the one to get Voldemort" vs." You have to die to get Voldermort" Besides, Dumbledore was there to help Harry cope with that discovery. He I think had a good idea he was going to die by the time He and Harry have the Hoxcrux discussion- after all, he was still sickly and not getting better.

So now you are disputing Dumbledore's words after poo-pooing me for doing the same?

I am poiting out the problems of all of sudden deciding to ignore what information we have in order to speulate.

I think it was quite obvious what I thought about Dumbledore's pronouncement. It may not be correct. After all, it is still good for Harry to go after the rest of the horcruxes first without racking his brain on how to deal with himself as one.

And there is no evidence that Dumbledore thought he actually was going to die that soon. He probably thought that they would go hunting more horcruxes and (if he knew) could reveal the truth to Harry later on, when he thought Harry could take it better. Maybe Dumbledore was looking for a way to negate a horcrux without destroying the body it is kept in before revealing the truth to Harry, so he could save him without worrying him too much.
                    Maybe, maybe, maybe.

And maybe there are 6 Hoxcruxes, Harry is not one of them, and the main point of the next book is Harry finding them, figuring out how to get rid of them, and finally killing Voldemort.

Again, if you satrt deciding which information was good and which is faulty, well, you basically know nothing. Rowlings statements about Dumbledore are about his emotial intelliegence and him being too trusting. I see nothing there about his intellectual pronouncements being wrong (if anything, the poor man is too smart). So, why then assume his intellectual announcements (someone looking to kill Voldermort should get rid of all the Hoxcruxes before hand) should be wrong?

Comment

• MOst American's would be surprised, given their ignorance, that Allah= Christian God. Does that make it "a surprise"?

A error of factual judgment = something unexpected in a novel?

There is a difference between finding out "you are the one to get Voldemort" vs." You have to die to get Voldermort" Besides, Dumbledore was there to help Harry cope with that discovery. He I think had a good idea he was going to die by the time He and Harry have the Hoxcrux discussion- after all, he was still sickly and not getting better.

And perhaps Dumbledore thought they could find a way to remove the horcrux beforehand. And if Dumbledore was hesitant to reveal to Harry he was going to have to face Voldemort, I think he'd be a HELL of a lot more hesitant to reveal that he may have to sacrifice his life.

I am poiting out the problems of all of sudden deciding to ignore what information we have in order to speulate.

Ignoring speculation you mean, which may or may not be correct.

And maybe there are 6 Hoxcruxes, Harry is not one of them, and the main point of the next book is Harry finding them, figuring out how to get rid of them, and finally killing Voldemort.

Could be. I guess the big suprise could be a relation of Harry (James' background) instead. I figure there must be more to James than just a jerk. Perhaps he is directly related to Godric Gryffindor.

I see nothing there about his intellectual pronouncements being wrong (if anything, the poor man is too smart). So, why then assume his intellectual announcements (someone looking to kill Voldermort should get rid of all the Hoxcruxes before hand) should be wrong?

But they are colored by his emotions and his protective urges. It may have made him misspeak as to the order of the destroying so as not to worry Harry or perhaps his emotions made him just not consider it properly. Or perhaps they knock out Voldemort in some manner. And Snape, now 'good', is charged with the act he did for Dumbledore, but now twice - against Harry and against Voldemort.

Comment

A error of factual judgment = something unexpected in a novel?
                        Given that the novel is a part of a greater story, what exactly is NOT unexpected? I did not expect Malfoy to have been given the job of killing Dumbledore. Does not make it a surprise.

Could be. I guess the big suprise could be a relation of Harry (James' background) instead. I figure there must be more to James than just a jerk. Perhaps he is directly related to Godric Gryffindor.

There are dozens of plot points that need to be resolved- what happens to the school, Malfoy, Snape, who is RAB< what are all the hoxcruxes, how are they gotten rid off, the final confronation, so forth and so on.

But they are colored by his emotions and his protective urges. It may have made him misspeak as to the order of the destroying so as not to worry Harry or perhaps his emotions made him just not consider it properly. Or perhaps they knock out Voldemort in some manner. And Snape, now 'good', is charged with the act he did for Dumbledore, but now twice - against Harry and against Voldemort.
                        Occam's Razor-why assume Dumbledore is wrong on this point when him being correct is the likely explination, given all that has happened before?

As for Snape, I do think he will play a crucial part in the final battle, and I do think we see he was not fuly evil (clearly he is not nice, but not gone like Voldemort).

Comment

• I did not expect Malfoy to have been given the job of killing Dumbledore. Does not make it a surprise.

In the beginning or end of the book? And there definetly can be surprises in a 'greater story'. An unexpected plot twist which causes a lot of readers surprise or shock fits, I'd think.

Occam's Razor-why assume Dumbledore is wrong on this point when him being correct is the likely explination, given all that has happened before?

Because we aren't dealing in reality, but rather fiction, and fiction where the author has had a reputation for write suprising plot twists into her novels.

As for Snape, I do think he will play a crucial part in the final battle, and I do think we see he was not fuly evil (clearly he is not nice, but not gone like Voldemort).

Of course if it may end up that he was evil as well... remember that interview I linked with Rowling? She seemed to be a little surprised by speculation that Snape was acting on Dumbledore's orders. Then again, she loves misinformation... though it'd really be a trip if Snape stayed evil and Draco turned... though Dumbledore kept insisting there was a solid reason to trust Snape, I guess we'll see what that is, and should indicate that he'll turn back to the *ahem* light side.

Comment

• I think Snape turned because he loved Lily. She was also a great potions student, and she did stick up for him when James was being a prat. Though Snape did call her a mudblood.
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Two new thoughts:

When its finally realized who RAB is (from the tapestry) the search will be on for Slytherins locket. It will eventually be found in Kreachers 'nest'.

Damn, I got interrupted and forgot the second one.
                              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• I thought it was already known that Harry was a direct descendant of Gryffindor? Wasn't this explained (or at least heavily implied) at the end of COS?
                                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                                X