Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince" out tomorrow!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tuberski
    The idea that Harry is a horcrux doesn't sit well. He may have been, but if he was I think he ceased to be when Voldemort returned.

Voldemort didn't have to use Harry to return, but he wanted to use Harry......to get the part of himself he left behind.

ACK!

ACK!
    That sounds interesting. What do you mean? Do you mean when Voldemort used Harry's blood he took back his horcrux? Perhaps then is when he gave it to Nagini? That could work, but would Harry keep his powers?
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

That sounds interesting. What do you mean? Do you mean when Voldemort used Harry's blood he took back his horcrux? Perhaps then is when he gave it to Nagini? That could work, but would Harry keep his powers?
      My thinking is that Harry more likely would have been an eighth Horcrux.

Yes, Harry would keep the abilities, he has to for the prophecy to be correct.

ACK!
      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• I think if Harry is a horcrux there would have been some indications of it when V possessed him in book 5 (so I'll have a look later).
        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Ah, the Dumbledore is omnipotent again. He is making speculation about things based on what is known to him personally. He says that a horcrux within a living thing is risky and indicates that he doesn't really know much about it. He wouldn't be able to confirm Harry as a horcrux without probably doing some tests on him, and even if he did suspect, would you think Harry would be ready for that speculation? He may have done a lot, but that may be too much for him to take until he's ready to face the big guy himself. And if Dumbledore is wrong on that speculation, Harry is not going to be very happy with the headmaster. And Rowling's propensity for the big surprise would indicated something massive that Dumbledore may have missed or not said within the pages of the books.

Once in the book he says Voldemort intended to make a horcrux after killing the Potters, but Dumbledore thought that maybe he implanted the horcrux in Nagini after the spell backfired. Though Dumbledore made it clear that he wasn't sure.

It could be foreshadowing based on Dumbledore's error (or purposely being vague).
          You were the one arguing about why Dumbledore would not leave Harry without info about fighting Voldemort. As for your penchant of "big surprises", please, Rowling's "surprises" are no more surprising than the plot points of any other involved story as the reader just finds out more.

Here is a more simple question for you to tacklen pg. 503 Dumbledore states that the incarnate piece of Voldermort's soul must be the LAST PART of Voldemort that those whishing to kill Voldemort must attack. Did Dumbledore give Harry bad info? Another mistake by Dumdledore? (again, you seems to question only was is convinient to question- maybe Volkdermot never got to make more than 3 Hoxcruxes- care to explain why Dumbledore must be right about everything other than those bits that happen to make this particular line of thought conviniently possible?) And if not, then it simply can not be Harry who kills Voldermort, because if Harry did it, then a piece of Voldermort's soul would have been around after the incarnate piece died, and that must have some significance, no?

And finally, how on earth would Harry ever find out he was one, HUH? He "figures it out"? Fine, then how does he test it? And if Dumbledore is correct on his statement about the order of attack (a statement I can hardly see Dumbledore's man through and through questioning) then does Harry simply off himself immidiately? The only person who would know, Voldemort, would have every reason in the world to keep Harry ignorant on the subject, making hismelf immortal. As for then him still trying to kill Harry, Voldermort already knows that a couple of his pieces are dead- will he make himself possibly mortal by killing yet another?

So Imran, who besides Harry (who under this line of thought must probably be dead already) kills Voldemort?

Well it could be a 'trophy'. Harry was the prophesied boy to bring down Voldemort. His dead body could be quite a treasure. We already know he's crude. Not like Harry has any possessions... unless you think Lily's wedding ring was the intended object for a horcrux.
          I don;t think any of this stupidity, because it is mindless speculation based on 0 evidence from the book. Its like when people began to speculate that Neville was the chosen one, once the bit of information about Neville came out. Still think that a plausible line of thought? cause, Hey, wouldn;t that be HUGE SURPRISE? Turns out it was Neville all along that was supposed to kill Voldemort? It even matches with this stupid specualtion- Harry offs himself, then Neville gives Voldi the smackdown.

If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• I think you two are taking this way too seriously.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara
              I think you two are taking this way too seriously.
              Like you take Communism ?
              If you don't like reality, change it! me
              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• just finished. do you think that it's possible that oneof the guys that run the dark artifact shop has the horcurx?
                I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

• That's what I thought. Burke, probably.

Comment

• Originally posted by GePap

And the book was in the possession of Lucius. Any curse was probably dismantled either before or by Lucius' ownership.

And maybe it never did.

So then why would it possess Harry then?

Why put it in a kid he intends to KILL then?!?
                    Maybe as insurance ?

Voldemort believed that Harry was "The Chosen One" , and thus tried to kill him .

If Harry is a Horcrux , then the following are the outcomes of a fight between Harry and Voldemort :

a) Voldemort kills Harry . +1 Voldemort , -1 Harry
                    b) Harry kills Vodemort , but Voldemort does not die , due to Harry being a Horcrux . +0 Voldemort , +0 Harry
                    c) Harry kills Voldemort , then kills himself , realising that he is a Horcrux . -1 Voldemort , -1 Harry

In all three cases , Harry never wins over Voldemort in terms of survival . If Voldemort has to go down , so has Harry . But if Harry goes down , Voldemort wins .

I've got a related idea , though . What does Avada Kedavra do to a Horcrux it is used on ? Also , if there are two sould in a single body , does Avada Kedavra distinguish between them ? Does it :

a) Get rid of both ? , or
                    b) Get rid of the one that came later or
                    c) Get rid of the one that came earlier ( and is thus bonded closer to the body ) or
                    d) Gets rid of one randomly or
                    e) Does nothing , confused ?

After all , the only thing the curse does is unlink the body and the soul . Does this mean that , in case Harry is shot at by Avada Kedavra ( and assuming he is a Horcrux ) , he might be saved , as it is only Voldemort's sould that is getting unlinked from Harry's body ?

Comment

• Originally posted by self biased
                      just finished. do you think that it's possible that oneof the guys that run the dark artifact shop has the horcurx?
                      Either would make an excellent candidate, and one who would fit much better with Rowling's normal method of revealing information. Borgin and Burke were subtly important to the plot, and being former employers they may even have been able to figure out what Voldemort was up to.

Except Burke's first name was Caractacus, and Borgin is still alive and apparently amenable to Death Eater demands.
                      Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

• the same could be said for snape, IW, and i'm still holding out faith that he'll come out smelling of lilac and roses in the end.
                        I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                        [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

• Rowling's "surprises" are no more surprising than the plot points of any other involved story as the reader just finds out more.

Originally posted by CNN.com
                          Readers shocked by new Potter book
                          Surprises cause emotion in many
                          Did Dumbledore give Harry bad info? Another mistake by Dumdledore?

Originally posted by J.K. Rowling
                          But I would say that I think it has been demonstrated, particularly in books five and six that immense brainpower does not protect you from emotional mistakes and I think Dumbledore really exemplifies that. In fact, I would tend to think that being very, very intelligent might create some problems and it has done for Dumbledore, because his wisdom has isolated him, and I think you can see that in the books, because where is his equal, where is his confidante, where is his partner? He has none of those things.
                          I'd think if Dumbledore knew or had the slightest inkling Harry was a horcrux, it may involve his emotions.

care to explain why Dumbledore must be right about everything other than those bits that happen to make this particular line of thought conviniently possible

He may not have been. But we are going from what we know. It's almost certain that Dumbledore is correct about Voldemort making horcruxes of himself, after Slughorn's memory and finding the locket. As for their being 7. We have no idea if that is true, but sounds plausible.

And finally, how on earth would Harry ever find out he was one, HUH?
                          Use your imagination. How would Harry find out what the other horcruxes even are or where they are located? How does he figure out how to destroy them?

I'm guessing R.A.B. may have something to do with it.

As for then him still trying to kill Harry, Voldermort already knows that a couple of his pieces are dead- will he make himself possibly mortal by killing yet another?

And why wouldn't he be able to split off another part of his soul after killing Harry if he knows a couple of his pieces are already dead (though it seems that he doesn't know)?

Its like when people began to speculate that Neville was the chosen one, once the bit of information about Neville came out. Still think that a plausible line of thought?

It was at the end of Book 5. And I don't think we've seen the last of Neville. It would be a great ending if Neville was the one who turned the tide and killed Bellatrix and then helped dispose of Voldemort.

I think Rowling is trying to clearly tell us Harry is the chosen one... but if not, it would definetly be intriguing.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                            I think you two are taking this way too seriously.
                            Indeed... I mean others all over the internet have been able to discuss various theories, but GePap seems to be taking it personally calling things "stupid" and whatnot. One wonders if he's got a big bet on this sort of thing.

One thing about Rowling, she likes the unexpected. Plot twists within plot twists within plot twists.

Comment

• Originally posted by self biased
                              the same could be said for snape, IW, and i'm still holding out faith that he'll come out smelling of lilac and roses in the end.
                              Totally different. Borgins isn't acting Death Eater (as Snape appears to be), he's just not standing up to them. He's playing the bullyable but idealogically neutral wizard-on-the-street. R.A.B. took a side and made a stand. He clearly had been a death eater, clearly pissed off Voldemort to the point where he was expecting to die, and then went for the horcrux. It doesn't make sense for Borgins to destroy a horcrux, and then go back to his job and act like nothing had happened.
                              "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

It was at the end of Book 5.
                                No it wasn't. Dumbledore had clearly explained the "mark him as his equal" bit. Neville is nobody.

One thing about Rowling, she likes the unexpected. Plot twists within plot twists within plot twists.
                                It strikes me that the best aspect of Rowling's writing- the use of mystery and ambiguity at the start which the reader has to puzzle through with Harry, is less effective when you read the book in 8 consecutive hours. I found I didn't really care about thinking over Draco's task, or whatever Harry was trying to figure out, because I knew I was going to find out in a couple of hundred more pages. There is no suspense at light-speed.

Comment

Working...
                                X