Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince" out tomorrow!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You should start reading it too. Most adults who pick up the books end up loving them as well. They have the same quality that the "Chronicles of Narnia" have. They are 'listed' as kids books, but adults read them just as voraciously.

After all, selling 6 million+ copies in the US in one day requires more than just kids' interest.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• I'm as pretentious as the next liberal elitist intellectual (in the parlance of our times), but I truly, deeply enjoy these books. Give 'em a shot, Winston. The first 1/3 to 1/2 of the first one is a bit slow, but it's much, much better after that...
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Actually, I'm a bit prejudiced against the whole 'franchise', because I got it into my head from the start that the name of the main character was a shameles steal from the colonel character of M*A*S*H*. Don't ask me why Rowling would choose that, but he is named Sherman Potter and played by Harry Morgan.

Rip-offs

Comment

• Right.

Let me assure you, the resemblance ends there.
          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
            You should start reading it too. Most adults who pick up the books end up loving them as well. They have the same quality that the "Chronicles of Narnia" have. They are 'listed' as kids books, but adults read them just as voraciously.

After all, selling 6 million+ copies in the US in one day requires more than just kids' interest.
            ****, that many?

It's been kinda cool growing up with Harry Potter; I'm only a year older than him in the books.

Comment

• This popular thread is getting a bit long
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
              X