Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince" out tomorrow!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Of course then the issue is what happens when the bottle has one last swig in it... that would create a dilemma if the potion has a self-preservation instinct.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
      True, but Harry didn't feel lucky & confident until he actually put it to his lips and took a swig, and then slowly, but surely, the feeling came over him.
      Yes, but it would be terribly ironic to waste luck, wouldn't it? It's one of the properties of the potion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
        Of course then the issue is what happens when the bottle has one last swig in it... that would create a dilemma if the potion has a self-preservation instinct.
        No, it doesn't have a self-preservation instinct. It's just lucky - and it would be bad luck to waste it. So it doesn't get wasted.

Comment

• So on another forum, in a thread about possible awesome lines in HP, I saw this gem:

Chamber of Secrets
          Tom Riddle: Voldemort...is my past, present and future, Harry.
          TOM MARVOLO RIDDLE
          Tom: *flicks wand and the letters rearrange themselves*
          I AM YOUR FATHER
          Harry: Noooooo!

Comment

• I guess so, but that also could open it up to cheese factor... hopefully it doesn't go that way.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• No, I think it isn't cheesy at all, not given that we're talking about liquid luck.

Comment

• This thread is still alive, eh? Lucky for you guys, Imran's dad works at the Temple of Doom. I'm sure he pulled some strings. Kalima! Kalima!
                Attached Files
                Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                  So on another forum, in a thread about possible awesome lines in HP, I saw this gem:

Chamber of Secrets
                  Tom Riddle: Voldemort...is my past, present and future, Harry.
                  TOM MARVOLO RIDDLE
                  Tom: *flicks wand and the letters rearrange themselves*
                  I AM YOUR FATHER
                  Harry: Noooooo!
                  I saw the same thread. @ our shared nerdiness.
                  "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

No, I think it isn't cheesy at all, not given that we're talking about liquid luck.
                    You don't see how it could open itself up to cheese moments? Hell, the concept itself must be balanced very carefully or else it can easily become too cheesy (ie, the concept of liquid luck is cheesy that Rowling somehow made work).

For example, when you drink the last bit perhaps you get so lucky that you amazingly make more of the Felix potion! You can see how it could get ridiculous.

Comment

• It doesn't necessarily have to be ridiculously lucky. Like if you played Poker with it, you wouldn't get a straight flush every hand, but you'd always do pretty well and win most hands, and come out way ahead.
                      "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Comment

• I realize that, but what I mean is that in the magic world there seems to be a counter to just about everything. Even Avada Kedavra can be blocked (end of the OotP), but if you have Felix, nothing goes wrong. It can't be blocked. You can do whatever and not lose.

... Perhaps an explination to Voldemort's rise to power was an ample supply of Felix Felicitus, which he forgot to bring (or just ran out) to Godric's Hollow with him?

I mean, imagine if Harry took Felix with him when he faced Voldemort... how could he lose?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaguar
                          I saw the same thread. @ our shared nerdiness.
                          I started that thread

Comment

I started that thread
                            You win .

Btw, was it Mugglenet?

Comment

• Yeah, cosforums

Comment

I started that thread

Comment

Working...
                                X