Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince" out tomorrow!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara
    Myrtle's murder is significant to him, as is the fact that this is when he discovered he was Slytherin's heir. He'd want to commemorate both events, adn what better way than to use his special plaque as a horcrux.
    Dunno. Using his special diary, maybe?

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
    But the way it was written, though, it seems to me, that he was more interested in finding out if it could be done multiple times. He'd already been thinking about this, which means he already knew something about it.

Whether or not he already knew how to cast the spell is just a guess.
    Seems pretty clear to me. He knows what they are and what they mean for him, but not how to make them.

[Slughorn]"The wizard intent upon creating a Horcrux would use the damage to his advantage: He would encase the torn portion —"
    [Riddle]"Encase? But how — ?"
    [Slughorn]"There is a spell, do not ask me, I don't know!"
    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

• All good points.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Also, if you hold stock in Dumbledore's general impression on Voldemort's horcrux, the final one has to be something of Ravenclaw's or Gryffindor's. The diary was one, the ring, Hufflepuff's cup, the locket, and Nagini. Although Nagini seemed to be more speculative. The special award to the school wouldn't fit as something from Ravenclaw or Gryffindor (IIRC, Dippet gave him the special award and he was a Slytherin, so that doesn't work neither).
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Definitely could be the Award; we've got all sorts of possibilities to consider, don't we?

Harry
          Nagini
          Godric's sword
          Other relic of Godric kept by the Potters as descendants
          Relic of Ravenclaw
          Something to do with Ollivander
          Special Award for Service to the School
          ...anything else?
          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• I don't know if it could have been the sword. Dumbledore seemed pretty confident that it hadn't left Hogwarts since Voldemort got there and that he was only interviewing for the job to get at the sword.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• I agree, highly unlikely, but as the only identified relic of Gryffindor, it must be given at least a moment's consideration.

Comment

• Btw, who owned the Sorting Hat? For some reason I thought it was GG's, but it may be something I totally made up .

Comment

• Speaking of reading carefully, in the chapter "Dobby's Reward" in CoS:

"Voldemort put a bit of himself in me?" Harry said, thunderstruck.

"It certainly seems so." [Dumbledore]

Though Rowling is surely getting a kick out of us parsing through the books looking for that horcrux .

Comment

• That's what I'm talking about! Merci, Imran! (And the Sorting Hat is another terrific idea.)

When Harry is revealed to be a horcrux in Book Seven, I'm going to totally trumpet my pwnage on you fools.

Comment

• Which would be false since he already took that part back in GoF.

ACK!
                      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuberski
                        Which would be false since he already took that part back in GoF.

ACK!
                        He took the blood back, but there is no evidence he took anything else back. If Harry is indeed a horcrux, more than simply taking blood would be needed to take back the horcrux (IMO)... especially since aborted-fetus-Voldemort needed his father's bones, and Pettigrew's hand as well as Harry's blood to resurrect himself (the 7th part of the soul).

Perhaps he did take the horcrux back and that is why DD had the look of triumph on his face, but wouldn't that make it 6 parts of the soul instead of the magical 7?

Comment

• That could be how Harry is able to kill him without dying himself; however, I feel the fact that Voldemort is able to completely possess Harry at the end of Book 5 shows that there is still a piece of Riddle in Harry...

Comment

• And there is that possession thing that Guy just mentioned. I can see where people who think Voldemort took back the horcrux, but the greatest link between Harry and Voldemort happened right afterwards.

What a great series... even after the discussion fades away a person who just finished or thinks of something new can spark another spirited discussion

Comment

• The look of triumph is definitely important... I think DD knew that Harry was somehow a horcrux (unbeknownest to Riddle), and he had hoped that the blood had removed Riddle's soul.

Book 5 would seem to suggest that it did not work in that manner.

What else could the look of triumph have meant?

Comment

• It may have something to do with having the ancient magical protections of love inside of Voldemort. V never really thought them to be important and got burned. To make sure that never happened (while not having to debase himself by learning them), he took Harry's blood which included that magical protection.

Something about having love inside of Voldemort when he has always underestimated that magic may be highly significant.... and no I don't think that means Voldemort does a Darth Vader like turn.

Comment

Working...
                                X