Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince" out tomorrow!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But it's more plausible than the alternative, IMO.

Comment

• Why? On what basis can you make that claim? Murder tears the soul, and there's nothing that says the soul repairs itself.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Myrtle died the last term when Riddle was a prefect (end of 5th year at Hogwarts), but in the scene with Slughorn's memory, Dumbledore says that Riddle was roughly the same age as Harry, half way through his 6th year. Which would suggest that Riddle didn't even know about horcruxes when he had Myrtle killed. Which would mean that the delay between the killing and the horcruxification of the award would have to be even greater.
        Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
        "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

• That assumes that Riddle didn't know about horcruxes at all. Obviously he knew about them, because he was asking about them. He was looking for more specific info, I think.

Anyway, Myrtle's death isn't necessarily used to make the horcrux, but it is his first murder, something he'd want to commemorate, and he's a trophy taker (like many serial killers). In addition, that's when he found out he was the heir of Slytherin.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara
            Why? On what basis can you make that claim? Murder tears the soul, and there's nothing that says the soul repairs itself.
            No. You can use a murder to tear your soul. At least, that's how I understand it.

Comment

• No, in the book, it said specifically, murder tears the soul. You can then use that tear to rip off a piece and create a horcrux.

Comment

• He didn't know the spell to use or he wouldn't have tried to get it out of Slughorn. Why make the old guy more uncomfortable than necessary?

He must have found out he was heir before killing Myrtle, and he has the diary to commemorate that anyway. Admittedly, have a trophy for services to the school as a horcrux would be his style, but until we know more about how horcruxes are made, I think it is probably a stretch.
                Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

• Che's right, and the trophy seems probable... especially with the mentality of Riddle, as Che points out. Also, it would be a sign from the school that says "we care", and Riddle really loved the school. It seems to have it. Good one Che
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

• I doubt he could make a horcrux out of Myrtle's murder since he didn't murder her, the basilisk did. (he was responsible of course )

Comment

• It also may just be AK's that create the tear.

Comment

• Interesting theory che. However, the long time period from Myrtle's death to the award being given to Tom has to be explained, as well as not really knowing all that much about horcruxes until talking to Sluggy. It's possible, but if you could harness a split soul from a murder indefinetly, you wonder why Voldemort didn't create 7 horcruxes before going after Godric's Hollow (I'd assume he killed more than 7 people before hearing part of the prophecy).

I'm inclined to lean towards no, but definetly intriguing...

And Nacht is correct, he didn't directly kill Myrtle, but sent the basilik. Perhaps you don't need to use the Avada Kedavra curse, but my understanding was you had to directly intend to kill a person and it seemed like Myrtle was convenient, but not specifically intended to be killed.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Why is this thread still open?
                          If you don't like reality, change it! me
                          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark
                            [q="Kuciwalker"]I wonder when the mods'll notice that this has hit 510 posts.[/q]

Not till the charm wears off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                              It's possible, but if you could harness a split soul from a murder indefinetly, you wonder why Voldemort didn't create 7 horcruxes before going after Godric's Hollow
                              We don't know that he didn't. It's pure speculation that the murder of Harry was intended to make the 7th horcrux. Even Dumbledore was just guessing about the snake, Nagini.

In any event, Myrtyle's murder is less significant for it being used to make a horcrux, than it being his first murder. Remember, Voldimort is a serial killer, and Rowling has designed him that way too. Myrtle's murder is significant to him, as is the fact that this is when he discovered he was Slytherin's heir. He'd want to commemorate both events, adn what better way than to use his special plaque as a horcrux.

Remember that what applies to the plaque also applies to Marvolo's ring, and Riddle killed three people when he got the ring (and was responsible for the premature death of his uncle by sending him to Azkaban).

Comment

• Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
                                He didn't know the spell to use or he wouldn't have tried to get it out of Slughorn. Why make the old guy more uncomfortable than necessary?
                                But the way it was written, though, it seems to me, that he was more interested in finding out if it could be done multiple times. He'd already been thinking about this, which means he already knew something about it.

Whether or not he already knew how to cast the spell is just a guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X