Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just heard that a woman was arrested for trying to give Terri water.

For trespassing of all things.

Sad this world to have such things in it!
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• I would hope that you would have the decency not to barg into my room to force feed me something from the tap. That's a time for me and my family.
      "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
      ^ The Poly equivalent of:
      "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

• The religious right is made up of people, the vast majority of whom are good people; their leadership, like that of any group with inherent political power, those leaders consist mostly of the worst sort of power brokers. They believe the end justifies the means.
        Interesting. As a member of the religious right, I would have to ask you how you have come to known their inclinations and motivations.

Have you gone to a church and spoken with the church leadership to ascertain such goals?

I cannot even speak of having done so myself, yet I wouldn't venture to offer the motivations of all those leaders supposedly on the religious right.

To say that they are all good people, yet motivated for power, seems a contradiction in terms.

To distinguish between the leadership and the congregation is a false distinction, it allows you to demonise the religious leaders, while leaving the rank and file unscathed.

Most of the push that I have seen has come from other lay people, and not the clergy over Terri Schiavo.

They (the leaders) take this position of keeping her on the feeding tube knowing that in the end the it will be not be permitted.
        No, they take this position, because it is murder to deprive a man or a woman of the sustenance required for life, regardless of the circumstance.

They (the leaders) then brand the "left" and the judiciary as murderers. They use this to whip up the base in the hope that it will help them in their efforts to clear the way for further stacking of the court with ultra-conservatives. Think about the filibuster issue, the nuke option. Think about Democratic congressmen that have to stand for relection in Bush states, with an active religious right wing, and think about how they might vote on a Bush judge in the face of a firestorm of "Schaivo tee shirts" that could be waiting for them in the mid-terms.
        They would undertake many of these aims without Schiavo, if this were their intent. They would have been pushing for this well before Ms. Schiavo, and would continue to do so after she is gone.

What this has to do with Ms. Schiavo is unclear.

Are you blind to the extent to which the power right want to overturn Roe v Wade? It is not simply the biggest thing to them, it is the whole thing. It is the end game. The whole point of the movement. It has been the fulcrum point of all United States politics for the last 30 years. Wake up!
        Gay marriage means nothing to them? Nothing at all?
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• Im not sure why this has turned into a big political and relegious thing. The whole reasons behind this womans family, is to take her life out of the husbands hands. how hard is to understand nobody including judges would have gotten involved had the husband just concedded and walked away.
          When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
          "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
          Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

• I would hope that you would have the decency not to barg into my room to force feed me something from the tap. That's a time for me and my family.
            That this would be sufficient to warrant an arrest is ludicrious.

Surely, her motivations were to help Ms. Schiavo, and by doing so she gets arrested?

Sad, that offering water is sufficient grounds for an arrest, in the land of the free.

Comment

• They (the leaders) then brand the "left" and the judiciary as murderers. They use this to whip up the base in the hope that it will help them in their efforts to clear the way for further stacking of the court with ultra-conservatives. Think about the filibuster issue, the nuke option. Think about Democratic congressmen that have to stand for relection in Bush states, with an active religious right wing, and think about how they might vote on a Bush judge in the face of a firestorm of "Schaivo tee shirts" that could be waiting for them in the mid-terms.

You are sipping the Kool-Aid, aren't you? Years of conspiracy theory has turned your brain against itself. Yeah, they'll use it to 'whip up their base' when a vast majority of Americans think the Republicans are in the WRONG! Look at the polls! You can't say ignore the polls simply because they disagree with you!

Like AH said, Schiavo will soon be forgotten. No bloody shirt at all.

HELL, even Bill O'REILLY (Republican mouthpiece) is saying Schiavo should be allowed to die. You are getting riled up for nothing.

Gay marriage means nothing to them? Nothing at all?

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt Dizle

Make fun if you like. I know what I am talking about. I know these people from the inside out. If you doubt me, start attending conservative churches and count the times that you hear the name Schiavo.
                I wasn't making fun. Just that it's a case of pretty dirty manipulation and that I hadn't looked at it from that angle (guess not even my mind is perverse enough for politics, maybe there still is some hope left for me. )
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

• Well for one terri schiavo is not a poll she is a person. If this is all about politics I want to know when human decency and compassion left the room.
                  When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                  "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                  Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

• Terri used to be a person, now she is a human body. It became about politics because of the parents trying to get everyone involved.
                    I changed my signature

Comment

• Gamecube:

When does a person die?

Comment

• A "person" in a philosophical sense dies when they are incapable of thought/feeling.
                        I changed my signature

Comment

• Originally posted by Mrs. Tuberski
                          Well for one terri schiavo is not a poll she is a person. If this is all about politics I want to know when human decency and compassion left the room.
                          Years ago, when Terri Schiavo, the person, died.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Mrs. Tuberski
                            Well for one terri schiavo is not a poll she is a person. If this is all about politics I want to know when human decency and compassion left the room.

I am just pointing out that the actions of Bush and the iron fist that manipulates him have nothing to do with human decency and compassion.

My personal position is that I would support witholding treatment, including food and water, only if evidence supports it, either in writing by Terri herself, or by testimony of her husband, provided that testimony is corroberated by at least another witness.

Otherwise, I think she should be kept alive. I agree with the Bush sentiment, err on the side of life. This is my personal position.

I call into question Bush's sincerity, not the sincerity of people like Ben.

Comment

• that the actions of Bush and the iron fist that manipulates him

Now I know to ignore you!

Comment

• A "person" in a philosophical sense dies when they are incapable of thought/feeling
                                Do hospitals deal with the philosophical sense, or with the biological sense?

Comment

Working...
                                X