No announcement yet.

Rugby!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lettered shirts? I'd heard of the tradition, never seen one. What? Start with A, end with the 22nd letter of the alphabet? Whatever that might be ...
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Am I wrong Havak ?
      Not at all – quite accurate in fact.

Deano’s career was winding down in 1997 but he was still some player. And yes he was still an active policeman – he took a five year sabbatical in 1998, I wonder if he will go back to them? Dean of course has great affection for French rugby – he even played a season with Roanne as a teenager.

And I think you are also right about Catt – I had forgotten the fuss over him signing Professionally for Bath (I think ifilter things out of my mid as soon as I hear ‘Bath’) – yes he was probably the first overtly paid ‘English’ player in the 94-95 season.

Caligastia – point taken and agreed with. The ‘P’ word is now taboo.

Yeah, okay, it was a baseless allegation. I can only claim that I was either drunk or possessed by the mendacious spirit of John O'Neill. Or both.

You could have pushed me more – it is true that our lads received no wages but as Tamerlin pointed out some were Professionals in all but that from the early 90s – we are only talking the absolute top players but they were frequently riding around in nice cars provided by local garages (with names plastered on the side so we all knew how generous said garage was) and some had some very interesting consultancy contracts in their day jobs – nudge nudge…

The vast majority of RFU registered players before 95 were totally amateur though. By the way I don’t think this was a good thing at all – it held us back massively internationally. Mind you even now only the top three English leagues are ‘Pro’ – below that it becomes semi-pro and rapidly amateur again. I wish those clubs in Sydney well – but I fear they may not be able to last long?

Okay weekend rugger.

You have to hand it to the Wallabies, they did the job well. Even my mate George had the best game I have seen him play. The Aussie forwards did a great job of containing the powerful French pack – and the Latham try was top drawer, the build up to it being the kind of excellence I wish England could show more often. And Larkham, we know he is a genius anyway? I also thought the referee (a POM!!!) was exceptionally good – but then Chris White is the pick of our refs right now. The only down side was my other mate Justin getting a little too aggro after the French blindside was late on Larkham in the first half. Once Harrison can learn when you should, and more importantly when you shouldn’t step in and swing he might grow into a tidy lock. As it is he was lucky Pelous didn’t kill him I think

I only saw highlights of NZ-Ireland but Oh Dear - men against boys. Ireland competed well in the first half and were perhaps unlucky to be 10 points adrift at half time? However they lacked pentration, never really looking like breaking the game line, and come 60 minutes the gulf is fitness and class told big time. A big thumbs up to NZ, and I half to say based on these tests I think the Tri-nations will be interesting.

Wow – what the hell happened to the Eagles? As Finbar pointed out my prediction wasn’t base don expectation but sheer Anglo bias – however that Scotland team is not the senior squad!! I hope the Eagles get through this re-building phase intact?
      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• So much to say it would not fit a single message!

Yes I have to say I am pleased with the England result. As the commentators pointed out on Sky the team that took the field is a combination second and third choice 22 on the whole, four or five senior players all told. And boy did the youngster do well – they completely dominated the much-vaunted Puma pack and again closed out the opposition in terms of tries (just six Quesada penalties for the Pumas). Ben Kay does seem to have pushed Danny Grewcock out of the England second row based on this – it would be hard for Clive to drop him now. The best thing is this shows there is a pool of 60 or so players that can be asked to pull on the rose and step up to the mark – it’s really healthy for our game. Bring on the autumn and let’s test ourselves against the best.

Finbar – the two clubs were different in the order they used letters, but Bristols use has slipped my memory seven years down the line. The shirts think was rather weird at tigers – a quirky tradition but actually much missed by the old guard at the club, the move to number being bitterly opposed at first! Tigers were A-J from 1-10, but then messed with the order a little from 11-15. Essentially though you are right – 1-22 in consecutive letters of the alphabet. This of course is the origin of our front row being called the ABC club.
        It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar
          Caligastia, I noticed last week - but forgot to post - that New Zealand thumped England by 40+ in the Under 21 World Cup.
          Sweet as!
          ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
          ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak
            Wow – what the hell happened to the Eagles? As Finbar pointed out my prediction wasn’t base don expectation but sheer Anglo bias – however that Scotland team is not the senior squad!! I hope the Eagles get through this re-building phase intact?
            Rebuilding stage? That was probably the best they had!

Seriously though, I expected much better from them. Last year they lost by a smaller margin against the Springboks, so they really should have done better against Scotland.

An interesting piece of trivia for you - The US eagles were the only team in the 99 RWC to score a try against the Wallabies. Bear in mind that NZ didnt play Oz in the competition.

Actually NZ and Oz have never played in a RWC match IIRC.

Comment

You could have pushed me more –
              Haven't you been lulled into a false sense of security before? Well, of course you have. Every time England beats some 3rd World rugby team, but that's a different story.

You have to hand it to the Wallabies, they did the job well.
              That's interesting. I only thought they were better than last week. Although the different tactics I referred to in an earlier post were good to see. Eddie Jones is obviously trying to shift away from the Wallaby habit of belting it up the middle.

The Aussie forwards did a great job of containing the powerful French pack –
              Do you think so? I thought our pack got shoved around far too much. OTOH, I think our loose forwards put in their best effort for a long time.

I also thought the referee (a POM!!!) was exceptionally good – but then Chris White is the pick of our refs right now.
              The consensus here is that he was whistle happy. In fact, the Sydney Morning Herald rugby writer - a good one - penned a column denouncing the pedantic nature of White's work. I think White did a good job overall, but he was a bit pedantic.

The only down side was my other mate Justin getting a little too aggro after the French blindside was late on Larkham in the first half. Once Harrison can learn when you should, and more importantly when you shouldn’t step in and swing he might grow into a tidy lock. As it is he was lucky Pelous didn’t kill him I think
              The Wallabies are getting thoroughly sick of the way Larkham is targeted. You would see the same thing with Wilkinson. And most of the time the refs don't penalise properly. I don't blame Harrison in the slightest.

The biggest downside for the Wallabies is losing #8 Kefu and hooker Jeremy Paul to injury. Both will be lucky to make the Tri-Nations. There will be quite a reshuffle for next Saturday's second test.

What did you make of Wendell Sailor's effort?
              " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
              "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

This of course is the origin of our front row being called the ABC club.
                Oh. I assumed some sort of ironic reference to illiteracy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Caligastia

Actually NZ and Oz have never played in a RWC match IIRC.
                  Is that true? I'll have to think back ...

Comment

• Havak seems to be catching on to the Eddie Jones strategy - talking up the opposition! Bit early for that isnt it?

Comment

Is that true? I'll have to think back ...
                      I didnt really follow the RWC till the 95 one, but Im pretty sure the two teams have never played. Probably due to them starting in different pools all the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Caligastia
                        Havak seems to be catching on to the Eddie Jones strategy - talking up the opposition! Bit early for that isnt it?
                        The words "drowning man", "clutching" and "straws" spring to mind.

Comment

The words "drowning man", "clutching" and "straws" spring to mind.

Well you know somethings up when he compliments the Wallabies more than you do!

Comment

• Abso-bloody-lutely! (Now there's a bona fide Australian-ism for you. There are rural Australians who can, in fact, insert about 5 expletives within a word. Sheer poetry)

Comment

Abso-bloody-lutely! (Now there's a bona fide Australian-ism for you. There are rural Australians who can, in fact, insert about 5 expletives within a word. Sheer poetry)
                              Bloody oath! and Strewth! are about the only ones Im familiar with.

My tasmanian mates used to insult a woman by calling her a "finger banger" - the female equivalent of "wanker".

Oh, and they would refer to that particular activity (female masterbating) as "flicking the bean"

Comment

• Bear in mind that NZ didnt play Oz in the competition
                                I have to point out that Oz did not play England either. We were too busy having freaky drop goals kicked past us by a player who never played well again after that game – have a happy retirement Jannie

And I’m sure you notice I’m ignoring that spurious U-21 result – pure fluke.

Every time England beats some 3rd World rugby team

I think the Pumas look good enough to replace South Africa in the tri-nations to be honest with you?

What bothers me more is when we lose to 3rd world teams to be honest – we are building quite a good record against the big teams, but then we tend to play them at home (to save you having to mention it).

I thought our pack got shoved around far too much
                                In the second half I guess they were yeah – but I thought they held up well in the first half. Maybe I mis-read it. Most of the time the ball flew out your scrum in the traditional Wallaby style anyway so I may have been deceived by that?

I think White did a good job overall, but he was a bit pedantic.
                                Wow, that’s a little worrying, White is perhaps the least pedantic ref we have. Just keep your eyes on Steve Lander in the tri-nations.

I’m afraid it is interpretation again – and the Wallabies will have to learn to play NH refs regardless of what Herald writers think of them because NH refs won’t change to suit SH teams, and vice versa of course. If you play NZ in the RWC final it is very likely you will have an English or French ref (I doubt the IRB would sanction a Bok for that game – politics).

Now if you want to see a cutting analysis of a ref from last weekend try to catch the Interview O’Sullivan gave to the Irish press boys. He pulled Tappe Henning completely apart and labelled him a total disgrace. A bit harsh that I feel, but Henning left himself wide open to it by failing to tell the Irish boys what they were doing ‘wrong’ at the tackle every time? All in all give me Chris White – he was very clear to both sides what he was penalising them for – which allowed them to sort it out?

Oh I’ve just realised – we had an Irish ref against the Pumas I believe – that’s why we beat them obviously?

You would see the same thing with Wilkinson
                                I agree and I have. Finnegan on Wilko in Melbourne ring any bells with you? An awful late challenge and the (Bok) ref did nothing.

On Saturday the Frenchman was clearly committed to the tackle and it was fractional – but still he was in the wrong and he was told it very clearly. Larkham is targeted all the time of course – by everyone who plays you. I can understand it annoys badly.

All Fly halves need protecting better from late take outs, but until you get Finny to stop lining up the opposition Fly half you can’t seriously expect Larkham to get any breaks there either?

As for illiteracy of the ABC club – I’m not daft enough to refute that.

Also it’s never too early to talk up the opposition and please be assured, if England beat you both at Fortress Twickenham, you can expect me to be merciless. If we lose you will find me crying “mercy” instead.

Last I heard we were planning to make it illegal to wear yellow or black in the stadium. And considering putting white and red bin liners over all the seats too.

Comment

Working...
                                X