Official Star Wars Kicks Arse Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jules
    When I was a kid, my brothers and I would always play Star Wars vs. G.I. Joe. Anybody have thoughts about who would win that battle?
    Duh. Star Wars weaponry vs. modern Earth weaponry = GI Joe on a platter.

All the Empire would have to do would be to blow up Earth, and that would be the end of that, now wouldn't it?
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuberski
      Lonestar, you were "in" the movie and don't know the quote?

Hey, it's been awhile.
      Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

• But we've been consistently assuming the Empire at its peak of power, pre-Endor.
        At it's "peak of power" the Empire had it's hands full fighting the Rebels.

Also, why assume The Empire pre-Endor and the Federation post-Dominion or Borg pro-8472?

I guess you never heard of Taoism, eh? You aren't very cosmopolitan....
        Taoists don't run around with light sabres

No alliance would be formed that would include the Borg.
        It happened before.

I'm willing to bet, as Lonestar states, many Alpha Quadrant groups would make deals with the Empire and align with them, particularly if that meant taking down the Federation.
        Most didn't join the dominion when it first appeared.

Anyway, I'd really like to know where those humans come from. I always assumed they weren't human, but that can't be the case since they've being called "human". Can someone clarify this?
        Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

• Originally posted by Saint Marcus

Also, why assume The Empire pre-Endor and the Federation post-Dominion or Borg pro-8472?
          (1)So? Not "That" full of it's hands. Indeed, as the saying goes, a Empire founded by war must be maintained by war. The Milky Wat galaxy would prove a good way to unify the Galaxy behind Emperor Palpatine.

(2)Because, post-DW Alpha Quadrant powers began to show a bit more creativity towards the end there.

Taoists don't run around with light sabres
          Oh yeah? Just how many Taoists do you know? Thought not.

It happened before.
          Yeah, and everyone remembers how little time it took the Borg to weasel out of the deal. Also, as I said, Many Milky Way species would probaly be compelled to throw in their lot with the only power that can credibly defeat the Borg: The Empire. I don't know about you, but I would think twice before starting a alliance where, even if our side were to somehow win, the most likely event is that the Alpha Quadrant becomes swarming with Brg vessels.

Most didn't join the dominion when it first appeared.
          No, just signed "nonaggression treaties". So, there ios a precedent for the AQ powers pussyfooting out.
          Anyway, I'd really like to know where those humans come from. I always assumed they weren't human, but that can't be the case since they've being called "human". Can someone clarify this?
          They come from Coruscant.
          Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carver

Some of the dialogue is cold, but that's classical acting. You could say the same thing about Shakespear. I like the classy and dignified conversations. The pauses, and the looks on the charachters' faces tell so much. This isn't some 90 minute comedy full of obscenities that no one will remember two years from now. This is a film for the ages and, as such, demands a proper presentation.
            their classy faces look as if they are constipated. the best actor there was CGI Yoda
            natalie portman has nice abs
            anakin is worse actor than i am
            dooku is cool
            yoda sabre thing was awesome. beats jackie chan easily
            dialogue is abysmal. the best parts are those where the only sound is that of the soundtrack
            love scenes made me wanna puke
            last 40 minutes are awesome, and yes, i do hope that the third part gets as good as 'empire strikes back', helmet has to go on in the episode 3. i hope anakin kills jar jar before the end of that one.

best scene though - robot factory chase. simply awesome.

Comment

I haven't been assuming anything for the Federation, I've actually pointed out that there is NO consistency on the ST side of when and who the Empire will be fighting. The SW side, however, has been pretty consistent of only including factors BEFORE the death of Palpatine. So can the ST people please pick a time frame and an opponent and stick with it?
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• They come from Coruscant.
                Why aren't they Coruscantians then? They are called humans, are found on many planets, yet in a galaxy nowhere close to the one Earth is in.

And people say Star Trek is far-fetched

Oh yeah? Just how many Taoists do you know? Thought not.
                And how many do you know that swing light sabres?

Comment

Why aren't they Coruscantians then? They are called humans, are found on many planets, yet in a galaxy nowhere close to the one Earth is in.
                  All of the Humans in the galaxy are descended from Coruscant. All planets with Human populations were ones colonized by Coruscantans. They are called human because that is the name of the species. Why would they be called anything else?

And why is it all ST alien races look like humans in really bad make up jobs and prosthetics with weird hairdos?
                  Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• All of the Humans in the galaxy are descended from Coruscant.
                    even those on Earth?

How did they get here, and are there other humans in our own galaxy?

And why is it all ST alien races look like humans in really bad make up jobs and prosthetics with weird hairdos?
                    can't look much sillier than Leia.

reason: budget. you can't expect a tv show to have the same bugdet as an over-hyped movie.

They are called human because that is the name of the species. Why would they be called anything else?
                    it's an english word for people in general, not our species specifically. and others are named after their homeworld/system, so why not us "humans".

same goes for star trek, but at least humans have been called earthlings, terrans, and homo sapiens (ST VI). And of course, hewmons

I find it a bit silly that in most sci-fi shows and movies, our species is called human. We should be called Terrans of course, our planet not Earth but Terra, and our sun not sun but Sol. In Star Trek, this is done seldom sadly (though better than never).

Comment

• Of course, what I think is silly is that there are a bunch of guys here comparing two totally fictional countries from totally different fictional realities and seem to be serious about it...

Star Trek is like Twilight Zone. Improbable, sometimes cheesy but USUALLY it has some sort of moral or purpose. Voyager and this new one really DON'T... and Star Wars is just good clean fun unless its episodes I or II and then they're just boring.
                      Dom Pedro II - 2nd and last Emperor of the Empire of Brazil (1831 - 1889).

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...

Comment

even those on Earth?

How did they get here, and are there other humans in our own galaxy?
                        No, I was only referring to those in the SW galaxy.

can't look much sillier than Leia.
                        Come on, those aliens on Voyager with the wierd hairdo thing...SW has nothing on them.

reason: budget. you can't expect a tv show to have the same bugdet as an over-hyped movie.
                        Same reason, then, applies to SW. How stupid and impractical would it be to have all of the main characters be some alien race that required tons more $$$ in make-up and prosthetics? The first SW didn't have a mega-budget either, ya know. And here's another factor: Audience relations. The audience is going to identify with human characters because they are familiar.

it's an english word for people in general, not our species specifically. and others are named after their homeworld/system, so why not us "humans".
                        Huh? Um, do you go around referring to all animals by their scientific species name? Because nobody refers to their pet dog as a canus whatever, I'm sure. And Han Solo is referred to as a Corellian, so people in SW universe are identified by their home planets, too.

same goes for star trek, but at least humans have been called earthlings, terrans, and homo sapiens (ST VI). And of course, hewmons

I find it a bit silly that in most sci-fi shows and movies, our species is called human. We should be called Terrans of course, our planet not Earth but Terra, and our sun not sun but Sol. In Star Trek, this is done seldom sadly (though better than never).
                        Why? Isn't our planet most commonly referred to as Earth? Who goes around calling it Terra? Who calls other people "Homo Sapiens" or "Terrans?" This is just silly, come on. If people ask me what species I belong to, I and 99% of people would say "human." I certainly wouldn't answer that question "New Yorker." That would answer where I live, not what species I am. So why doesn't it go to reason the same would be true in the SW universe for the species there?

Sorry, just don't get what you're complaining about.
                        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• human is not our species. it's a name for people in general. we also say "human rights", and when we meet sentient aliens those same human rights will be applicable to them.

And we call Vulcans after their homeworld. Same with Romulans, Cardasians, Corellians. So why not us too? I can understand we won't call ourselves that, but why shouldn't aliens name us after our planet?

And I know Han Solo wasn't called a human but Corellian. That's why I always believed Han and co aren't humans, but merely aliens who look like humans. However, in ep1, Anakin was called human.

No, I was only referring to those in the SW galaxy.
                          same species as us. how do they get there? or how do we get here?

Comment

human is not our species. it's a name for people in general. we also say "human rights", and when we meet sentient aliens those same human rights will be applicable to them.
                            Since we have yet to encounter other sentient species, human beings certainly does only refer to our species. Does anyone ever refer to Vulcans or Klingons as Human in ST?

And we call Vulcans after their homeworld. Same with Romulans, Cardasians, Corellians. So why not us too? I can understand we won't call ourselves that, but why shouldn't aliens name us after our planet?
                            So this is a problem for ST, not SW. And irrelevant to this discussion.

And I know Han Solo wasn't called a human but Corellian. That's why I always believed Han and co aren't humans, but merely aliens who look like humans. However, in ep1, Anakin was called human.
                            What the hell are you defining as human here? Perhaps "human" in SW is a different "human" than in our world. You say at first that you object to Terrans being called "Humans" in the ST world because that refers to "people in general," and then directly contradict this in the above statement by likening "human" to species. If this holds true:

Originally posted by Saint Marcus
                            human is not our species. it's a name for people in general.
                            Then this is nonsensical:

That's why I always believed Han and co aren't humans, but merely aliens who look like humans.
                            This has devolved into abject silliness.
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

human is not our species. it's a name for people in general. we also say "human rights", and when we meet sentient aliens those same human rights will be applicable to them.

Bzzzt! We Call the Klingons Klingons, even though they are from Qo'nos.

He's Human, just as Candians, Americans, British, and to a lesser degree Dutchmen are. ( ) Coreillian is a reference to his nationality.

same species as us. how do they get there? or how do we get here?
                              There's at least one supposition that, after a bloody war between the Empire and Federation (in which the Milky Way was stomped) Milky Way Humans fell throught the wormhole connecting the Milky Way to the SW Galaxy, but the wormhole went unstable and went further back in time.

Comment

• We Call the Klingons Klingons, even though they are from Qo'nos.
                                That's cause originally the idea was that their homeworld would be called "Kling". It was even mentioned once ("the traitors of Kling", or something). That was scrapped cause it sounded too stupid.

Comment

Working...
                                X