Huygens Descent Onto Titan Countdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
    I am very interested to learn what it underneath the orange clouds of Titan once and for all...
    Rocks, smelly gases and 'goo'

Comment

"Goo" is interesting
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever

Rocks, smelly gases and 'goo'
        this is baically all we have on Earth's surface too.

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo

this is baically all we have on Earth's surface too.
          Then why in Gods name did we send a probe all the way to look at some more....?

Comment

Originally posted by booger

2) Huygens has a slight design flaw. Its batteries really suck. We will only get 2 hours worth of data (maybe)out of a 40 million dollar machine.
            hear hear!

This Huygens probe is the size of a freaken VW Beetle. it could have easily accomodated a 60lb RTG that would have given it power to operate on the surface for years just like the smaller viking landers on mars did. Cassini will be making passes near titan for years to come so if an RTG had been placed on Huygens we would be able to upload and transmit countless additional hours of observation from the thing. I can't believe what a wasted chance it was to equip such a large and heavy lander with a power supply equivalent to a car battery. It's really sad.

-edit whoah, I guess I can't blame the Euro's anymore. JPL just added my question about huygens lack of an RTG (in my recognisably inarticulate prose) to their Huygens lander FAQ and it would appear that a short term power supply was the plan from the start

here's a link to my question and JPL's response
            Last edited by Geronimo; January 13, 2005, 17:28.

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever

Then why in Gods name did we send a probe all the way to look at some more....?
              We earthlings like a variety of rocks and smelly gasses and goo I guess.

Comment

What is annoying me is that astronomers keep saying that Titan's atmosphere is like early earth's, no it isn't. Geologists don't think the early atmosphere was nearly as reducing as we thought back when the Urey-Miller experiment was conducted. The early atmosphere was mostly carbon dioxide, nitrogen, and hydrogen sulfide; not methane, ammoinia, and hydrogen.

Comment

Originally posted by Odin
                  What is annoying me is that astronomers keep saying that Titan's atmosphere is like early earth's, no it isn't. Geologists don't think the early atmosphere was nearly as reducing as we thought back when the Urey-Miller experiment was conducted. The early atmosphere was mostly carbon dioxide, nitrogen, and hydrogen sulfide; not methane, ammoinia, and hydrogen.
                  that's just nitpicking. Titans atmosphere is by far the most like the early earths of all presently known atmospheres. Certainly it is more like it than earth's current oxidizing atmosphere is.
                  Last edited by Geronimo; January 13, 2005, 17:46.

Comment

Then at 3:00 a.m. EST tomorrow (8:00 a.m. GMT), live coverage will begin and continue throughout Huygens' descent and the reception of the first chunks of data, concluding with another press briefing.
                    I´ll be sleeping at 5am
                    The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Comment

It's also a wee colder.

Methane as a liquid is a bit difficult to do on Earth.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I have to admit if the ESA got this thing right with the huygens. Its a cosmic hole in one. Its all in there hands now.

Comon ESA.... 5 hours to go...
                        http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OLHMHMB&key=RRK

:-(

Comment

Yep, here's hoping everything goes well.

And that maybe all of us here on Earth will be able to understand the Solar System a little bit better with the data we're about to receive in the hours to come.

Comment

ESA!

ESA!

ESA!
                            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

NASA

I wanna see some Rutan probes
                              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Now it's exactly 2 hours until Huygens will enter Titan's athmosphere.

NASA TV Webcast has started it's full day broadcast of ESA TV, and there's a lot of interesting background info being given on the mission and the basic nature of the Saturn system.

It's kind of strange to hear people reporting on an ongoing space mission in British-English, but I suspect I'll get over it in an hour or so.

Go Huygens!

Comment

Working...
                                X