X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My hope is with Trip: Firaxis, please.
    B♭3

Comment

All of the articles are talking about the same Reuters interview with Infogrames.

Earlier today, Atari’s parent company, Infogrames, put forth its financial results coverng the first-half of fiscal 2005 ended September 30th, 2004. The results, which were in line with the company’s guidance, saw consolidated revenues for the period at €277 million on current exchange-rate basis, down from €314.9 million last year. Business all around sustained in the various markets during the second quarter, particularly in Europe and Asia, where sales were up by 30% to €48.4 million. Meanwhile, Atari saw revenues up 18% to $71.4 million. This came alongside word that Infogrames experienced a widened net loss of €42.2 million, from €9.8 million. This was attributed to the €16.7 million loss tied to the Nexgen Capital transaction. The most significant news from Infogrames this morning came from the games side of things however. According to this mornings results, after the close of the first-half ended September 30th, 2004, the company sold the rights to the Civilization franchise. The buyer isn’t known at this time (although there’s speculation it could be Firaxis), but the sale was for $22.3 million USD, generating a one-time gain of €15.5 million. This was followed by the almost footnote announcement that the Atari Flashback system and RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 are both selling well, with 500,000 units of the Atari Flashback system already sold. Shifting back to the financial side of things, Infogrames latest results also saw shares falling 12 percent, amidst worries that Infogrames would have to issue additional stock to fund its plan to pay back its 2005 convertible bonds. Those wanting to know more should refer to this report.
      Infogrames Entertainment SA (IESA – parent of Atari) revealed certain financial results and a plan to pay off some of its existing bonds. For the six month period ended September 30, 2004, IESA reported a consolidated net loss of €44.0 million (around $57.6 million) compared to a consolidated net loss of €6.7 million. These results include a large loss (€16.7 million) associated with the ending of a financing arrangement with Nexgen.

Interestingly, IESA mentioned that the group recently sold the rights to the Civilization franchise for $22.3 million. That sale is not included in the above financial results.

The plan to repurchase the company's outstanding OCEANE 2005 bonds is as follows: Every holder of IESA stock will be granted one warrant to purchase one share of IESA stock for each two shares of IESA stock owned. That warrant will allow its holder to purchase the IESA share for €1.11 (around $1.45). Those warrants should be distributed around mid-January, and will be valid for fifteen days. Infogrames expects to pay off the OCEANE 2005 bonds from cash taken in as those warrants are exercised. To the extent the proceeds of the warrants are insufficient to retire the OCEANE 2005 bonds, IESA will issue a three year bond due March 15, 2008 to pay the remainder.
      This Infogrames press release (in doc. format) has the game publishing company's fiscal 2005 financial results but also reveals that Infogrames (who publishes games under the Atari name) has actually sold the rights to the best selling Civilization franchise for $22.3 million. Atari has published the best selling Civilization III and two expansion packs developed by Firaxis Games, founded by Civilization creator Sid Meier, and also has the rights to publish the previous two Sid Meier developed games in the series. HomeLAN contacted Atari corporate PR represenative Nancy Bushkin over the phone this morning who confirmed that the Atari will no longer be publishing any more Civilization games, although it still retains the rights to sell its previous Civ games through October 2005. Bushkin would not reveal who Infogrames/Atari sold the Civ franchise to HomeLAN saying, "That's up to that party to disclose that." A couple of years ago, Atari announced a multi-year deal with Firaxis to publish a number of their games, including more Civilization games, and Bushkin said today they still have a good relationship with Firaxis but would not reveal future publishing plans with the developer, other than the upcoming Xbox version of their just released PC title Sid Meier's Pirates. HomeLAN has contact Firaxis Games for comment but has not yet received an answer to our inquiries on this matter.

And so on...

Comment

My hope is with Trip: Firaxis, please.
        Yeah right, now you've ruined it. It's probably Vivendi Universal.
        Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

I think it's the CPSU (rediviva).
          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Maquiladora
            Yes, Activision
            Activision royally screwed over the people who bought CTP & CTP2. Still, if Activision bought civ then they could merge CTP & Civ to create an ultamite Civ game.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Communist Party of the Soviet Union?!!!
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                Activision royally screwed over the people who bought CTP & CTP2. Still, if Activision bought civ then they could merge CTP & Civ to create an ultamite Civ game.
                Yeah, and promptly abandon and kill the series.

Comment

Admit it: the series needs killing. It's getting stale and tired.
                  Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                  "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Which is why it's getting more sales than ever.

Comment

And why the Civilization community is growing each and every year.
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Civilization is overrated. I prefer Anarchy and the Noble Savage.
                        B♭3

Comment

PLease be Firaxis.

Comment

Originally posted by Velociryx
                            CtP2!

-=Vel=-
                            Vel, I'm sorry to say it, but my opinion of you has just taken a huge hit

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                              CTP2 is what CTP should have been.
                              A worthless, buggy piece of ****?

Comment

CtP2, modded, was apparently good. Not that I have tried modded or unmodded.

All I can find on the sale so far:
                                II. OUTLOOK FOR THE YEAR CONFIRMED

After the close of the first half on September 30, 2004, the Group sold the rights to its Civilization franchise for US$ 22.3 million, generating a one-time gain of € 15.5 million.

and

Atari Interactive—Beverly, Massachusetts—Atari Interactive’s studio is responsible for managing franchises such as Roller Coaster Tycoon, Civilization and Monopoly Tycoon, as well as TRANSFORMERS, which was released in May 2004.
                                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Working...
                                X