No announcement yet.

Young, fresh, ambitious, in massive debt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not going to be in debt - my parents have more than enough set aside for college for me and my little brothers, even if I DON'T get a scholarship of some sort.

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
      I can't even get a mortgage! What's up with that?!
      Where do you live?
      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

I strongly dislike the extreme individualism in the US, where property is such a be-all end-all.
        Spiffor, The ownership of real property is the primary means of wealth accumulation in the US. Combined with the tax advantages of ownership this makes the real cost of month to month living MUCH less than renting. For example, I have a 3000 square foot home and pay $1300/mo. A 1200 square foot apartment near my home rents for $1100 per month. I gain equity every month as my mortgage is payed down and the value of my property increases, while the renter gains nothing more than a place to stay.

Additionally, in today's environment, nearly everyone would qualify for a home purchase with little or no money down. (Assuming they have the right mortgage consultant.)

The conclusion I am making is that ownership of real property increases the wealth of society and its ability to provide services.
        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Copy cat.
          Don't blame me for your boring life.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

"1. The private universities in the US are generally better than the public ones - in the case of the more prestigious universities, MUCH better."

The difference in quality is often over-exaggerated however, and even in the case of the Ivy Leauge schools, there isn't a right for the government to provide that; if you want to go to a place like that you can fund the education yourself.
            "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

$52,000/year is a lot of money, and can get you a lot of things. However, ppl would rather get a BMW over a Honda, go out to dinner instead of cook it, buy their dream home instead of a rental, take lavish vacations instead of just laying around the house. Most people get a sticker shock at what they are making, and the money is ussually out of their pocket before it is even in... This, is called a liability.

Yep

And for college I left without a debt, but that was because I knew I'd be going to law school. Sometime next year, I'll have to start paying off my $133,000 debt load. But it won't be too bad. I can live in a one bedroom apartment and not spend that much.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Imran, thank you for making not feel so bad about owing $51K. Course, most of that is interest and penalties. I only owed $17.5K leaving school.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

With all that money PLUS the 4-6 years on average it takes to graduate, we could have done something more productive then spend it on graduating with diplomas.

Like hookers! And lots of em!
                  :-p

Comment

Yeah, like a bank would loan me money for that .
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

you know, i initially thought this would be a seedy, kinky thread:

"young, fresh, ambitious, in massive debt...

but nubile, willing, and curious!"
                      B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Kucinich
                        The private universities in the US are generally better than the public ones - in the case of the more prestigious universities, MUCH better.
                        Actually, the top flaship schools compare quite favorably with the top private schools, in most fields anyway. You can find crappy directional schools, but you can just as easily find crappy private schools, the difference is that the crappy private schools will bleed you like they're top schools.

Comment

0 undergrad
                          ~70k law school

livin' the american dream, baby.

Comment

Did these massive debts at least cover your living expenses, or were those covered by your parents?

My parents covered my living expenses and my education fees. I am on the verge of graduating two diplomas, and my total education fees in 5 years was less than 2,000 €.
                            The living expanses were much higher however, about 32,000 € total or something like that - it was a massive financial effort from my parents.
                            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

So far 0 debt, and that's the way I'm keeping it. I don't give a rats ass if I have to eat my fingers before that. To be in debt in this country is as good as going to jail. With the low income and high taxation, you won't be able to pay it back in the next life.

When you get out of the school, that's when you need the most money anyway, when you think about where to live, if you need a vehicle of any sort, well a good bycicle if no money for car.

I live with 60 euros a month, and I'm making it. It's hard I DO know it, as a matter a fact my stomach hurts from being hungry now and today is the 'don't eat anything except 100grams of macaroni' day. Which is about every day. But hey, I'm not going to get a chain on my ancle, and once I'm outta here, I'll be braking records! I choose NOT to have debt. And furthermore since my plan is to go otuside my country working, I can't have a debt. I need to be totally free to move.

I take pride of making it myself. My dad gives me some food money every now and then, but being on super low pension, I just have to make it myself and I take a lot of pride from it. Only thing I'm not getting is that debt. I'm investing to my future and not living in the moment right now. It's stupid, yeah but it'll be worth it in few years.
                              In da butt.
                              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Darn Pekka, 60euros? That's brutal if you're telling the truth. It's just sick that in this country you get more cash if you're UNEMPLOYED than when you study. I'm going to some half-arsed job seeking course and I'm getting about 300euros a month + 7euros for food every day. I skip days like crazy and nobody even gives a fudge. If I run out of cash I can just pimp the social office with some sob story (ie. lie) and get a food voucher. Then again I'm about 1000euros in debt and there's no way I'm getting a loan for the next few years.

The Finnish system is tailor made for exploitation. When I go to Uni this fall and they rape all my benefits I'll just do some sidework for my dad to compensate. It's all one big holiday.

Comment

Working...
                                X