Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What exactly does "left" or "right" mean to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think what you have discribed as left of right.
    Pretty much straight from Edmund Burke.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kucinich
      Anyway, it seems like a contradiction to give corrupt men freedom.

It may seem so to you, but it isn't. If men are corrupt, then their is no legitimacy for a dictator. Only an elected government is legitimate. Have you ever heard the saying "it takes two crooks to strike an honest bargain"?
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• So? If you assume that sleeping under a barn is a bad thing, then DUH it should be illegal. Just because some people are more prone to breaking the law doesn't mean the law is bad. For example, fat people as well as fit people are forbidden from stealing the weight-training things they sell on TV (OK, crappy analogy, but you get the point).

EDIT: re the "sleeping under a bridge" thing

Comment

• Originally posted by Kucinich
          So? If you assume that sleeping under a barn is a bad thing, then DUH it should be illegal.
          No, the injustice that makes steeping under a bridge beneficial should be illegal. Gee, that works better too, doesn't it.

Comment

• Difference between left and right?

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Attached Files

Comment

• To get reactions out of people you have to speak very truthfully. You can't just say right is bad and left is good. You have to say that left stands for equality and the right stands for elitism, because the right has to argue against that. It's just too true for them not to.

Comment

• What law prevented women owning property, or voting?

Um... which country?

In the US, the vote was given to white males (and then black males). Women were always excluded by law.

But you make a good point that tradition is not law. This is true and I didn't mean to asser that it was.

It strikes me that saying one should keep to traditions as much as possible just begs the question against the reformer.

Well if you believe that tradition is accumulated knowledge of the ages and it keeps some semblance of social order, then yes. I mean look at how the French revolution turned out (which is, of course, what Burke was looking at). You strip away all tradition at once and you are left with a mess.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• it seems like a contradiction to give corrupt men freedom.

It is a contradition to NOT let them too. Because if men are corrupt, you want their corruptness to butt heads against other corruptness, not continue unabated.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• To get reactions out of people you have to speak very truthfully. You can't just say right is bad and left is good. You have to say that left stands for equality and the right stands for elitism, because the right has to argue against that. It's just too true for them not to.
                    I love ya Kid... Yet, 'equality' is a social aspect not a capitalistic ideal. I think the true difference between Left and Right is that the left want to take all the money and even it out over tha playing field, and the right want people to get what the earn/diserve.... That is why I contest that the left are communist just peddeling for votes while the right is actually out for individual responsiblities, from which comes freedom.
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Japher
                      I love ya Kid... Yet, 'equality' is a social aspect not a capitalistic ideal. I think the true difference between Left and Right is that the left want to take all the money and even it out over tha playing field, and the right want people to get what the earn/diserve...
                      Deserve? How do you measure what a person deserve to earn?
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                        it seems like a contradiction to give corrupt men freedom.

It is a contradition to NOT let them too. Because if men are corrupt, you want their corruptness to butt heads against other corruptness, not continue unabated.
                        I don't know why I find this stuff amuzing. I should probably be worried.

Conversly, it seems that many business leaders are worried about the corruption in the business world. BTW, I attend business school in case you didn't know.

Comment

• Originally posted by Japher

I love ya Kid... Yet, 'equality' is a social aspect not a capitalistic ideal. I think the true difference between Left and Right is that the left want to take all the money and even it out over tha playing field, and the right want people to get what the earn/diserve.... That is why I contest that the left are communist just peddeling for votes while the right is actually out for individual responsiblities, from which comes freedom.
                          I love ya too... Why did you use the word 'yet?'

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                            Deserve? How do you measure what a person deserve to earn?
                            How much other people are willing to pay them

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious

I don't know why I find this stuff amuzing. I should probably be worried.

Conversly, it seems that many business leaders are worried about the corruption in the business world. BTW, I attend business school in case you didn't know.
                              That's why you have LAWS against fraud.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

It strikes me that saying one should keep to traditions as much as possible just begs the question against the reformer.

Well if you believe that tradition is accumulated knowledge of the ages and it keeps some semblance of social order, then yes. I mean look at how the French revolution turned out (which is, of course, what Burke was looking at). You strip away all tradition at once and you are left with a mess.
                                So you agree that Burke begs the question.

It's dumb to agree with Burke just because of the French Revolution - it's like agreeing with Plato that democracy will never work because of the Peleponnesian War.
                                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                                X