No announcement yet.

I don't really understand about Dean.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not a regular gambler so yer gonna have to explain that to me.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• He's saying Bush will win by at least 5 percentage points of the popular vote, and he's betting $20.
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• No, what it means is I'll take Bush plus an additional 5 points. So, for instance, if Dean wins 52/48, I win (48+5>52).
        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Okay, I'll take that bet.

That's $80 so far.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• So, for Che to win the bet Bush has to lose by 5.1%+ of the popular vote?

I can imagine him losing, but not by that much. I can also imagine Bush kicking Dean's ass by 5-10% in the popular vote. However I can't imagine the reverse unless there's a radical change in the current poli-eco environment.

Comment

• I know. Easiest $20 I've made all year.
              ...only $20 I've made all year...
              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• I'm feeling bad that I'll be taking che's $50. But then again, I prefer to think of it as a redistribution of the wealth in my favor.
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnT
                  I can imagine him losing, but not by that much. I can also imagine Bush kicking Dean's ass by 5-10% in the popular vote. However I can't imagine the reverse unless there's a radical change in the current poli-eco environment.
                  Dean is much closer to Bush than Gore was at this time four years ago. Gore came behind from a 17-point defict to beat Bush in the popular vote (only to have victory snatched). Dean's only behind 8 points, and Bush still has a sucky job situation to deal with, three million jobs down . . . still.

Comment

• Anyway, I'll take another bet or two up to $20, for a total of $100 across the board.

Comment

• Don't forget to include the cost of stamps to mail all the people you'll have to pay.
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Paypal.

Comment

• Naw, I'm not gonna take your money. I'm not a big friend of gambling... except for the NCAA Tourney pool.

Comment

• Che:

I'd take your bet, but I don't bet money. What about avatars? Two weeks of wearing an image of my choice if I win, and if you win, I wear an image of your choice for two weeks. Has to also be within forum regulations.

Heck, Dean has not even survived one primary yet. Everybody's saying this is just like 1968 in terms of foreign policy, and you remember what happened in those primaries, with Bobby Kennedy and all.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• "Why do you say that? Both Ohio and WV were tight races in 2000. Jobs usually determine who wins, and steel is very imporant in both states."

They were reasonably close, but not very. That Jobs determine who wins is conventional wisdowm that used to be alot more true than it is now. Contemporary research shows that social issues are far more important then ever before. With recent legislative action on partial birth abortion and with gay right issues being all over the news, expect this factor increase. Research has also shown that OH and WV rank up with the South in terms of more traditional values. Foreign policy being a major issue will crowd out economics even more.

"
                              IIRC, those polls were taken in September. That doesn't tell you anything."

it tells you what people thought at the time, and the numbers were similar for all democratic candidates.

"More recent national polls (like the CNN one a little while ago) show the gap to be much smaller."

Do you have a link showing to a more recent poll in Ohio?

"The midwest isn't that socially conservative. Not anything like that South, anyways. That's why Dems are perfectly competitive there, even have advanges in places like Iowa. And if farm subsidies go, so will their support for Shrub"

The Dems are competitive in the upper midewest, comprising much of the so called "rust belt", and in fact except for Indiana and Ohio they mostly won there. In the Great Plains they are not very competetive at all, though.

"Links to polls?"

"Dean is so far ahead fiscally that I think he's virtually bagged it."

I can't say I agree with you. There is alot of concern in the Democratic Party about Dean's viability and electability, and I suspect those supporting other candidates will coalesece around another candidate.

"Dean is much closer to Bush than Gore was at this time four years ago. Gore came behind from a 17-point defict to beat Bush in the popular vote (only to have victory snatched). Dean's only behind 8 points, and Bush still has a sucky job situation to deal with, three million jobs down . . . still."

You're making a mistake that early polls always benefit The Democrats. Not so. In 2000, the Democrats were the incumbent party and they narrowed the lead. Leading up to the 1996 and and 1984, Clinton and Reagan were both polling poorly yet won re-election handily. In 1998 Dukakis had a large lead over Bush I initally but came back to win in the end. Bush II is polling stronger then either Clinton or Reagan did coming into their re-election campaigns.
                              "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                                Che:

I'd take your bet, but I don't bet money. What about avatars? Two weeks of wearing an image of my choice if I win, and if you win, I wear an image of your choice for two weeks. Has to also be within forum regulations.
                                I can't imagine you with anyone but Alec Guiness.

Comment

Working...
                                X