No announcement yet.

Ten Commandments 2003: How did we do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder what the percentages would be if you took into account the people that didn't take the poll - because they didn't keep ANY of the commandments.

Comment

Originally posted by orange
      i can't believe 1/4 of you committed adultery!
      I never commited adultery, yet I broke the law: I fornicated before being married (and I'll continue to do so ), and I lusted for women I wasn't married to
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
        Whats with the utter lack of anyone keeping the Sabbath holy!
        well, a number probably even have the day wrong

and I have kept the Sabbath holy in the past, this last year was not a good year

Jon Miller
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

I never commited adultery, yet I broke the law: I fornicated before being married (and I'll continue to do so ), and I lusted for women I wasn't married to
          Don't French people have some sort of exemption on this one?
          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

i can't believe 1/4 of you committed adultery!

I believe fornication falls under the Bibical commandment of adultery.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Personally, I don't think that keeping the Sabbath holy means that you have to keep it holy on a very specific day of the week. You know, some people have jobs where they have to work on the traditional Sabbath day, especially people in highly critical jobs such as the police, fire, rescue, and the military. I just think that it means to pick one day out of every week and keep it holy.
              HAVE A DAY.
              <--- Quote by Former U.S. President Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt
              "And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
              For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17

Comment

Boris: What you posted isn't the ten commandments, it's just the first of the several hundred regular laws in Mishpatim, which is the chapter after the one with the ten commandments. Or something. Can't be arsed to look it up. But it's something like that. You've got the list Plus you've got the fifth book in the torah where everything is repeated (I think for the third time...) slightly different though with a very different perspective on the explanations; "humanitarian" vs. "just because"... Learned it all in school, thankfully forgotten at least some of it
                Brought to you by Firelad, AKA King of the Fairies

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO
                  Don't French people have some sort of exemption on this one?
                  Good point

Hey Mr. Nice Guy! Look at me, I obeyed one commandment!
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Mr. Nice Guy: Nope. It has to be Saturday cuz wossname* rested then so you should too.

*correct reference to the Big Guy accord. to Judaism. The Name is too HOLY to pronounce. That's what the Commandment regarding Saying It In Vain refers to. You got to say "wossname" instead of JEHVEH. Oops.
                    Brought to you by Firelad, AKA King of the Fairies

Comment

• I just think that it means to pick one day out of every week and keep it holy.
                      - leaving six days left per week to remain unholy. YES!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Nice Guy
                        Personally, I don't think that keeping the Sabbath holy means that you have to keep it holy on a very specific day of the week. You know, some people have jobs where they have to work on the traditional Sabbath day, especially people in highly critical jobs such as the police, fire, rescue, and the military. I just think that it means to pick one day out of every week and keep it holy.
                        God rested on the sabbath day and hollowed it, so yes a special day is important

unless you beleive like the catholics that the pope changed it

Jon Miller
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Firelad
                          Boris: What you posted isn't the ten commandments, it's just the first of the several hundred regular laws in Mishpatim, which is the chapter after the one with the ten commandments. Or something. Can't be arsed to look it up. But it's something like that. You've got the list Plus you've got the fifth book in the torah where everything is repeated (I think for the third time...) slightly different though with a very different perspective on the explanations; "humanitarian" vs. "just because"... Learned it all in school, thankfully forgotten at least some of it
                          That's not what Exodus says, so that sounds like a fanciful song-and-dance around the issue:

34:1
                          And the LORD said unto Moses, Hew thee two tables of stone like unto the first: and I will write upon these tables the words that were in the first tables, which thou brakest.

34:2
                          And be ready in the morning, and come up in the morning unto mount Sinai, and present thyself there to me in the top of the mount.

34:3
                          And no man shall come up with thee, neither let any man be seen throughout all the mount; neither let the flocks nor herds feed before that mount.

34:4
                          And he hewed two tables of stone like unto the first; and Moses rose up early in the morning, and went up unto mount Sinai, as the LORD had commanded him, and took in his hand the two tables of stone.

Then, after saying some lovely things about how great-grandchildren are considered guilty for their ancestor's sins and that the Jews should persecute others, he starts with the new Commandments:

34:14
                          For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God

Etc., as it then goes on with the second list I posted, which decidedly is NOT the same as the first list.
                          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• You shall have no other gods before Me
                            You shall not make for yourself any idol

Since I'm an atheist, I don't have to worry about this +2

You shall not take the name of God in vain

Way too often. Most of the time I can say 'bless it' instead, but some argue that's still bad. Those people suck balls, btw.

Remember the Sabbath Day, to keep it holy

No one does? Damn, I'm such a conformist.

Honor your father and your mother

+1

You shall not murder

I don't recall hating anyone, so I give myself +1

You shall not commit adultery

I've sexed up married women before, but not in 2003! But I did the whole non-married sex/lust thing...

You shall not steal

I probably stole something. I got pirated software from a friend, anyway.

You shall not lie

Never.

You shall not covet

Commies never convert. Or covet. Covenant. Whatever.

4/10. I'm a goddamn saint compared to you lowlifes.
                            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

• For those who wish to seek a human understanding of God there are only four words of wisdom you need to know: READ THE RED LETTERS

You wish we should seek the advice of dirty Reds?
                              Commies don't worship God, yet you want us to follow them. That makes you an atheist, a non-believer! And yet you want us to follow God? Your post reeks of hipocracy...
                              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

• It's interesting how a little creative interpretation makes the ten commandments into crazy Christian commandmants.

Idolatry is the worship of idols, specifically, statues (like statues of the Ten Commandments, ironically enough), fetishes, graven images, etc. Going to Lordes or trying to touch of piece of the splinter of the true cross are idolatry, not having a different idea about God than what some bible-thumping moron tells you.

Taking the name of the lord in vain is not using God as a swaer word, it is blaiming God. If you blame God for your misfoturnes, then you are taking his name in vain. If you say you are doing something in the name of God, you are taking his name in vain. Fred Phelps, for example, persecutes gays in the name of God. His is violating this commandment.

Christians keep the wrong day holy. It's sundown Friday to sundown Saturday. The seventh day, not the first day, and it was a night, and a day. I wonder which Bible all these idiots bible studiers study.

Bearing false witness against a neighbor means, don't give false testimony in court. It doesn't mean, don't lie.

Committing adultery means in the real world, not in your heart. You weren't stoned to death for wanting to committ it, just committing it.

Finally, not coveting is just unrealistic, isn't it. If I never wanted something someone else had, I'd never be able to buy anything.
                                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                                X