• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ten Commandments 2003: How did we do?

bible.gospelcom.net

Exodus 20

The Ten Commandments

1 And God spoke all these words:

2 "I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.
    3 "You shall have no other gods before [1] me.
    4 "You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing love to a thousand {generations} of those who love me and keep my commandments.
    7 "You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name.
    8 "Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your animals, nor the alien within your gates. 11 For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.
    12 "Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you.
    13 "You shall not murder.
    14 "You shall not commit adultery.
    15 "You shall not steal.
    16 "You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.
    17 "You shall not covet your neighbor's house. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor."

18 When the people saw the thunder and lightning and heard the trumpet and saw the mountain in smoke, they trembled with fear. They stayed at a distance 19 and said to Moses, "Speak to us yourself and we will listen. But do not have God speak to us or we will die."
    20 Moses said to the people, "Do not be afraid. God has come to test you, so that the fear of God will be with you to keep you from sinning."
    21 The people remained at a distance, while Moses approached the thick darkness where God was.

Idols and Altars
    22 Then the LORD said to Moses, "Tell the Israelites this: 'You have seen for yourselves that I have spoken to you from heaven: 23 Do not make any gods to be alongside me; do not make for yourselves gods of silver or gods of gold.
    24 " 'Make an altar of earth for me and sacrifice on it your burnt offerings and fellowship offerings, [2] your sheep and goats and your cattle. Wherever I cause my name to be honored, I will come to you and bless you. 25 If you make an altar of stones for me, do not build it with dressed stones, for you will defile it if you use a tool on it. 26 And do not go up to my altar on steps, lest your nakedness be exposed on it.'

Footnotes

1. 20:3 Or besides
    2. 20:24 Traditionally peace offerings

http://www.livingwaters.com/good/

1. "You shall have no other gods before Me." Have you always put God first in your life? Jesus said to love God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength-- so much, that your love for your parents, brothers and sisters, friends, and even your own life is like hatred compared to your love and devotion for God. Have you ever failed to put Him first in your life?

2. "You shall not make for yourself any idol."
    Who is God to you? Is he only a god of love and mercy who would never judge anyone and never cast anyone into Hell? If that's your god, then you're right. Your god couldn't cast anyone into Hell because he doesn't exist. He's a figment of your imagination. You've created a god in your own mind that you're more comfortable with. You may call it your "personal belief," but God calls it idolatry. It's the oldest sin in the Book, and the Bible warns that idolaters will not inherit the kingdom of heaven.

3. "You shall not take the name of God in vain."
    Have you ever used God's name as a curse word? If you have, you've taken the holy name of God-- who gave you your life, your family, and everything precious to you-- and used it as a filthy, four-letter word. Hitler's name wasn't even despised enough to be used as a curse word! If you have used God's holy name in that manner, you are a blasphemer and the Bible says "God will not hold him guiltless who takes the name of the Lord in vain."

4. "Remember the Sabbath Day, to keep it holy."
    God commands that we set aside one day in seven. Have you ever been guilty of breaking this Commandment?

5. "Honor your father and your mother."
    Have you always honored your parents in a way that's pleasing in the sight of God? Ask Him to remind you of the sins of your youth. You may have forgotten them, but God hasn't.

6. "You shall not murder."
    Jesus warned "Whoever is angry with his brother without cause, is in danger of judgment," (Matthew 5:22) and the Bible says, "He who hates his brother is a murderer," (1 John 3:15). God sees hatred in the heart to be as wicked as murder. We can violate His Law by attitude and intent.

7. "You shall not commit adultery."
    Jesus warned," You have heard...'You shall not commit adultery.' But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. Have you ever looked at another person with lust? The Bible says that adulterers and fornicators (those who have had sex before marriage) will not enter the kingdom of heaven.

8. "You shall not steal."
    Have you ever stolen anything (even if it was something small)? The value of the thing stolen doesn't matter; petty theft is still theft. Have you ever taken anything that belonged to someone else (from the office, school, parents, etc.)? If you have, that makes you a thief.

9. "You shall not lie."
    Have you ever told a lie? Then you are a liar. How many murders do you have to commit to be a murderer? Just one. If you have told even one lie, that makes you a liar. The Bible warns that all liars will have their part in the Lake of Fire (Revelation 21:8). You may not think deceitfulness is a serious sin, but God does.

10. "You shall not covet."
    This means we should never desire anything that belongs to another person. Not their house, nor their car, nor their money, nor their wife, nor their lifestyle, nor anything that belongs to our neighbor.

AND LET'S NOT FORGET THAT NO MATTER WHAT GOD ALWAYS LOOKS AT THE , BUT IF CHRIST ISN'T THERE YOU WILL NOT ENTER THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN.

REGARDLESS, IT'S STILL INTERESTING TO KNOW, WHICH COMMANDMENTS DID YOU MANAGE TO KEEP IN 2003?
    You shall have no other gods before Me
    10.39%
    You shall not make for yourself any idol
    13.31%
    You shall not take the name of God in vain
    2.27%
    Remember the Sabbath Day, to keep it holy
    1.62%
    Honor your father and your mother
    10.39%
    You shall not murder
    22.73%
    You shall not commit adultery
    16.88%
    You shall not steal
    14.61%
    You shall not lie
    2.60%
    You shall not covet
    5.19%
    Last edited by Mr. Nice Guy; January 4, 2004, 16:24.
    HAVE A DAY.
    <--- Quote by Former U.S. President Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt
    "And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
    For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17

For ****s sakes.....

Is this for real? Well in any case, I didn't murder anybody. At least that's something. Broke the rest.

Huzza!

edit: Since MrNiceGuy got rid of the huge letters and doesn't seem like a nutter, there is no need to swear!
    Last edited by Evil Knevil; January 1, 2004, 15:05.
    Res ipsa loquitur

Comment

Well I voted 7, then I read the post. I'm with EK. Oh, and the idolatry thing. If I don't believe in a God then I can't have an idol of one, surely.
      Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

1. sorry don't believe in you... but if it makes you feel better god, I don't believe in any other gods..

2. oops, I kind of do have an idea of what god might be like... and he isn't some boob who sends people to hell if they think the bible is fulla ****

3. god dammit jesus h christ, I sure ****ed this one up

4. every day is a sabbath for me but seriously, I ****ed this one up to because I kind of believe that you are good EVERY DAY, not just one in seven. But that's okay, but about 99.999% of America doesn't respect the notion of the sabbath, so I'll have company.

5. Sure, I love my parents... YAY I GOT ONE!

6. haven't murdered anybody... THAT'S TWO

7. never been married... THAT'S THREE

8. sure, I've "stolen" thing in the past... nothing major, but if god is going to send me to hell for stealing some gum when I was 8... then I don't want to worship such a nazi-god.

9. I try not to, but I'm sure I have. What about white lies? Should I tell the truth and say I think someone is ugly?

10. everyone covets... it's human nature... my life sucks and I want it to be better... if that makes me evil, then I'd rather be in hell... plus... isn't the idea of heaven based on the notion of coveting an eternal bliss?

Everyone should read these commandments carefully... only to realize how imperfect and full of **** they are. HUMAN BEINGS WROTE THESE THINGS. No god wrote them... and no god inspired "man" to write these things.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I flirted with Islam for a while. Read the Koran, talked to an Imam. I'm still thinking about it, naturally I'd need to learn Arabic first.

Er... idols? apart from Islam....... I've worshipped the false idol of Mammon Also my editor, who I attempted to bow down to and make sacrificial offering.
          Res ipsa loquitur

Comment

I first thought the opening post was an advertizement for some company or website, like we see sometimes.

Useless to say, I think the OP should drop the BIG LETTERS, or I'll cheer when a mod closes the thread or forces the low size.
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

WHY DON'T YOU LIKE BIG LETTERS SPIFFOR? DO THEY ANNOY YOU?!!!!

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I try to always put God first, but am afraid that at times I have failed.

I think I have kept this one.

I think I have kept this one too. I did say Damn once, which I don't think is correct.

I try to keep the Sabbath day (which is Saturday) holy, but have not been too good at it this last year. I even bought something a couple weeks ago on a Friday night!!!

I don't respect my mother much (because of her actions), I should change that.

I don't hate anyone. In fact, I don't even seem to get angry. This one I think I have.

I am an (unmarried) virgin, so some would say that I am good here. But I lust after women, so no good.

I steal intellectual property. Never have any physical property.

Unfortunately I lie all too often.

I don't really want what others have, so I Think I am good here as well.

---------

That makes 4. There is really no reason for me to disrespect my mom (Even if she deserves it), so to change that one should not cost anything. I always need to put God first, but that is always a hard one for every person. Keeping the Sabbath should be doable, I use to.

Jon Miller
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                  I first thought the opening post was an advertizement for some company or website, like we see sometimes.

Useless to say, I think the OP should drop the BIG LETTERS, or I'll cheer when a mod closes the thread or forces the low size.
                  And before you go thinking that any mod fixed that, I did it as per a request from you.

The letters were big that way before because that's the way it looks in the link.
                  HAVE A DAY.
                  "And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
                  For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17

Comment

Why does God need to be kept first? I mean, he's God! I think God, if he exists, would want us to put ourselves first. I mean, WE are the ones stuck on this miserable planet. He's the omnipotent, omniscient creator of all things. Why do we need to put him first? And does he even care if we do? I mean, if you were a God and created some insignificant creatures on some planet, would you give half a **** if they worshipped you?

Frankly, if God wanted me to put him first and all that BS, he would have told me so... not relied on some book that is thousands of years old that is not corroraborated as being HIS word.
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I broke all of them except I forgot to murder anyone this year. Oh well.

Its all old Jewish rituals from 4,000 years ago anyway.

-Jam
                      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                      Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

a tentative 4, although like jon i have my doubts about #1.

and sava you don't get #7 just because you ain't tied the knot yet
                        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                          1. sorry don't believe in you... but if it makes you feel better god, I don't believe in any other gods..

2. oops, I kind of do have an idea of what god might be like... and he isn't some boob who sends people to hell if they think the bible is fulla ****

3. god dammit jesus h christ, I sure ****ed this one up

4. every day is a sabbath for me but seriously, I ****ed this one up to because I kind of believe that you are good EVERY DAY, not just one in seven. But that's okay, but about 99.999% of America doesn't respect the notion of the sabbath, so I'll have company.

5. Sure, I love my parents... YAY I GOT ONE!

6. haven't murdered anybody... THAT'S TWO

7. never been married... THAT'S THREE

8. sure, I've "stolen" thing in the past... nothing major, but if god is going to send me to hell for stealing some gum when I was 8... then I don't want to worship such a nazi-god.

9. I try not to, but I'm sure I have. What about white lies? Should I tell the truth and say I think someone is ugly?

10. everyone covets... it's human nature... my life sucks and I want it to be better... if that makes me evil, then I'd rather be in hell... plus... isn't the idea of heaven based on the notion of coveting an eternal bliss?

Everyone should read these commandments carefully... only to realize how imperfect and full of **** they are. HUMAN BEINGS WROTE THESE THINGS. No god wrote them... and no god inspired "man" to write these things.
                          Originally posted by Sava
                          Why does God need to be kept first? I mean, he's God! I think God, if he exists, would want us to put ourselves first. I mean, WE are the ones stuck on this miserable planet. He's the omnipotent, omniscient creator of all things. Why do we need to put him first? And does he even care if we do? I mean, if you were a God and created some insignificant creatures on some planet, would you give half a **** if they worshipped you?

Frankly, if God wanted me to put him first and all that BS, he would have told me so... not relied on some book that is thousands of years old that is not corroraborated as being HIS word.
                          Wow! You're certainly in a mood.

Did you have a little too many drinks throughout the night, Sava?
                          HAVE A DAY.

Comment

Thank you for shrinking the letters Mr Nice Guy. Now, it looks like a serious post. Before, it reminded me more of a spam for penis enlargment pills
                            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Wow! You're certainly in a mood.

Did you have a little too many drinks throughout the night, Sava?

He's been like that for a while now. "Fallen off into the mental deep end" is how its been described.
                              Res ipsa loquitur

Comment

Working...
                              X