CanPol Thread: the United Right etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CanPol Thread: the United Right etc.

Remember when I said that PCers might even flee to the NDP rather than vote for a party which is dominated by Refffffoooooorrrrrmmm?

So. Friggin. Sweet.

The NDP now polls far and away as the second party in Canada.

Oh my God. I'm about *bleep* in my pants.

Thank you, United Right. Thank you.

They have less support than the PC alone did!
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

"This new party is maybe a lot more the Alliance than the Progressive Conservatives," said Larocque.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Paul Martin is the most right wing leader the Liberals have had in over 50 years. Many people on the left of the Liberal Party will move to the NDP once Martin starts rolling back and cancelling progresive legislation.

... and remember the right isn't united yet... it still has a couple of weeks to self destruct !
      There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

With those poll numbers I hope they stay united. But maybe another breakup will make them look so ridiculous that they'll be left with even less support than now.

Man, what we need to do now is get a party to the left of the NDP. That way I can feel good voting for them and people will see the new party as the left-wing crackpots, so they'll be comfortable voting for the NDP.
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Start the CCP, or Canadian Communist Party, then
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I mean one that we can fool people into voting for.

Maybe we'll stage a takeover of the Greens and get rid of most of their eco-crap platform.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Bump. I'm assuming none of the Albertans have seen this yet.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Now that Asher's not here I guess not.

Cool about the NDP, but then I am from commie land!
                Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Lets give it some time. Either the Centre Right will overtake the new party... or they'll just move to the new Libs.

" And at 8:00:01, CBC predicts a majority Liberal government... well... make that...actually we predict a unanimous Liberal government."
                  What?

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sparky
                    Paul Martin is the most right wing leader the Liberals have had in over 50 years. Many people on the left of the Liberal Party will move to the NDP once Martin starts rolling back and cancelling progresive legislation.

... and remember the right isn't united yet... it still has a couple of weeks to self destruct !
                    and if iiuc Martin is far less "left" on foreign policy (including Iraq) than Chretien was.
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Martin a right-winger? He'll be no different from Chretien.

Enjoy your circle jerk while it lasts.

Given the fact that the current Right wing party has not gotten together, and is still formulating policy, I'm quite suspicious as to the timing of this poll.

As for Liberal support shifting to the NDP, I think that the only thing we see is the support for the Bloq going to the new NDP party. Liberals have always been around 55%.

More than 10% undecided, prolly all belong to the conservatives waiting to see what this new party looks like.

I'd rather be leading at election time rather than 6 months before.

So, to stand by my words, I'll be willing to take an avatar bet with anyone of you that the new united conservatives will gain more seats than the moribund NDP party come election time.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Richelieu
                        " And at 8:00:01, CBC predicts a majority Liberal government... well... make that...actually we predict a unanimous Liberal government."

"I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
                        "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
                        "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                          Bump. I'm assuming none of the Albertans have seen this yet.
                          Just saw it and couldn't be happier! I guess most of the Canucks here are lefties?
                          Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

I wasn't sure this was actually going to unfold this way, but it's interesting that it did, because it's basically what happened to me, personally.

As you may or may not know, I am of the age that the next federal election will be my first voting opportunity. I've been putting a lot of thought into it for a while now, and I had been leaning towards the PC-Red-Tory ideology of centrist-economics & left-wing-social-views for some time.

However, I'm very, very unlikely to vote for this new Conservative Party.

Now, I'm not THAT left-wing, so voting for the NDP makes me a little uncomfortable... my heart's not really in it.

That leaves... the Liberals. Good God, I'd rather shoot myself. I mean, I don't rag on Cretch as much as most of my provincemates, but even I can see that the party has become bloated and corrupt.

And Paul Martin is no saviour. He's twice as fake as Chretien, and not half as fun. He flip-flops like any politician du jour. Throw in his shady, to say the least, corporate connections, and I get a little woozy about the whole idea.

Still, I may be forced to vote for McLellan (she is running again, right?), just to attempt to ensure the Cons don't steal my riding.
                            "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
                            "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by techumseh
                              I guess most of the Canucks here are lefties?
                              Don't know if I'd got that far.

There's always the trifecta of BenKenobi, Asher, and, to a lesser extent, NYE. Correct me if I'm pigeonholing, fellas, but believe that my intentions be well-meaning.

And, of course, I don't really consider myself to be a "lefty", per se...

Comment

Working...
                              X