No announcement yet.

CanPol Thread: the United Right etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would be proud to be a liberal as an alternative to supporting a party that has frequently been caught in gaffs
    As opposed to the man who can't speak either English or French as the Prime Minister? Remember the "proof" speech? Why do you think they call him the mangler?

Clearly, if one were to support the Liberals, gaffes are no good reason to stop supporting a party.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
      All-right. I apologise for the label closet liberal.
      No need to apologise. It actually gave me a good giggle. I've had beer thrown in my face by a lefty for admitting to being a Tory too. Fired at from both sides makes me know I must be doing something 'right' in a middle of the road, Canadian sort of way.

re the PM, yes, the Mangler is such a good name for him, on so many levels. I think he 'proofed' that.

However, if you keep my words in context, you'll see that I don't see the repeated gaffs from the CA as harmless, or endearing in any way. I fail to see 'homosexuality should be illegal again' as harmless, whereas the Proof quote is just plain funny.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Harper sacked him and if he recants his statements, then I consider the matter closed. No one in politics has a clean record.

For example, look at Hedy Fry. She talked about crosses burning in Prince George when the only crosses they could be are hot-cross buns. She lied, and refused to recant her statement, and Chretien never disciplined her. Compare the difference in responses between the two parties.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

This seems rather odd. How could polling support for Conservative parties be below 20%?
          "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Originally posted by Garth Vader
            Now that Asher's not here I guess not.
            What happened to Asher?
            Golfing since 67

Comment

Harper sacked him and if he recants his statements, then I consider the matter closed. No one in politics has a clean record.

For example, look at Hedy Fry. She talked about crosses burning in Prince George when the only crosses they could be are hot-cross buns. She lied, and refused to recant her statement, and Chretien never disciplined her. Compare the difference in responses between the two parties.
              There's a big difference between someone arguing that homosexuality should be made a crime and someone making a geographic mistake (the crosses were burnt in Williams Lake, not Prince George)
              Golfing since 67

Comment

Ever hear of tourism?

Saying that they burn crosses in a community is a huge indictment! You better make sure they actually burn crosses before you go making a statement like that.

It's not that she got the place wrong, there were no crosses burnt to speak of. She lied to make a point about the intolerance of northern communities.

If you're going to make enemies like that you'd better have the facts to back you up.

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
                  This seems rather odd. How could polling support for Conservative parties be below 20%?
                  Because the Conservative movement has had it's guts ripped out and put on display during the last 20 years in Canada. It all started with this guy named Mulroney, who thought free trade was a good idea...
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai

There's a big difference between someone arguing that homosexuality should be made a crime and someone making a geographic mistake (the crosses were burnt in Williams Lake, not Prince George)
                    Bull ****, and a good indication of why I would not dream of voting Liberal if Martin does not demonstrate a major change from the crap that the Mangler let go on.

It was a slur on Western Canada. One more in a long line of such slurs. Keep it up, and soon maybe Canada won't have to worry about any West outside of Thunder Bay.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

It all started with this guy named Mulroney, who thought free trade was a good idea...
                      Actually, Free trade's been good to us. Mulroney had a great idea called the GST, and the Meech Lake and Charlottetown Accords to amend the constitution.

His successor Kim Campbell didn't help one bit. Thus the Conservative party was destroyed by the mangler, and the tides of seperatism rose from Quebec.

Comment

“We only have to look around the world today at Kosovo, at Macedonia, at Northern Ireland to know that people are still discriminated against in the world because of their race, their religion and their culture. We do not have to go too far. We can just go to British Columbia where crosses are being burned on lawns as we speak.” (Hansard, Mar 21)

After Canadian Alliance MP **** Harris objected to the remarks in a Point of Order, Ms. Fry refused to retract her remarks. She said: “In British Columbia there have been incidents of hate crime, including cross burnings. I know this because I was contacted immediately that these incidents occurred by the mayor of Prince George….The community was duly concerned and duly appalled at the incident.” (Hansard, Mar 21)
                        So, why were her comments first about BC in general, and not Williams Lake, allowing for the fact that she was such a moron as to forget where these things had happened? And, wtf was she not fired immediately?

Oh, and btw...

So it turns out there has been a cross-burning in Canada in the past year. But not in Prince George. Or anywhere else in B.C. Or even by racists.

The one and only recent example of a cross-burning was in Montreal last March. By feminists. On International Women's Day. On the steps of a Catholic cathedral...
                        Again, wtf was she not fired immediately?
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)

Comment

Actually, Free trade's been good to us. Mulroney had a great idea called the GST, and the Meech Lake and Charlottetown Accords to amend the constitution.

His successor Kim Campbell didn't help one bit. Thus the Conservative party was destroyed by the mangler, and the tides of seperatism rose from Quebec.
                          I guess you don't remember the free trade election, or the fact that a 7%, open, GST replaced an FST that was hidden and clocked in at 13% generally, and up to 15%.

As for the Constitution, at least he got Quebec to agree, unlike some other Constitutional moron I could name, but won't *cough* Trudeau *cough*

The funniest part of this all is that the Tories got shived by the 'Central Canadian' media, and Westerners were stupid enough to lap it up and destroy the prospects of defeating the Liberals in the subsequent several elections and the next few to come. It's as if Izzy Asper got to live his wettest dream.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)

Comment

Oh, and btw, FST stood for Federal manufacturers Sales Tax. It was levied on everything made in Canada, regardless of where it ended up. It was not levied on goods from outside of Canada that were imported.

It was one of the feds first taxes, ever, but can you say job killer?
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)

Comment

All I used to hear about Meech Lake and Charlottown is how bad they would be for Central Canada in equating the votes of Ontario with those of PEI.

You have to remember that I would have been 7 during Meech Lake.

Comment

OH, and by free trade, I thought you meant the first Free Trade agreement with the US.

Comment

Working...
                                X