No announcement yet.

Persecution of christians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well maybe it's time to clean haus. A nativity scene would seem to counteract many of the pagan traditions of Christmas.
    According to many researchers, the story as interpreted isn't accurate. There is doubt about the Inn and "manger", I can't remember the details off hand, but the image of a barn has been called into question based on the differing translations.

Comment

Ah, so now we see what Berz really believes.

So you do agree that the nativity scenes are ahistorical.

I wasn't there, so I couldn't say.
      And now you do know?
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

So showing favoritism to every religion other than christianity is not persecuting christians? Okayyy...
        It's showing favoritism to two religions other than Christianty, not every other religion. And yes, it isn't. Freedom of religion isn't gone. You can still be Christian. You just can't decorate a few schools a certain way.

When I was in school, I wasn't allowed to put up whatever I wanted all over the building. Did that mean my beliefs were being persecuted?

Let's see, you can bring your religion... but not you guys...
        I thought you were fine with that. After all, only Congress is subject to the establishment clause, right? Wasn't that your argument wrt the religious display in front of that court?

Like I said, no one is being torched on a pyre of wood, but telling people their religion is not valid enough to be displayed is a form of persecution.
        They're not losing their freedom of religion. This ain't "persecution."
        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
        -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo

It's showing favoritism to two religions other than Christianty, not every other religion.
          Judaism and Islam pretty much covers all other major religions in the US.

And yes, it isn't. Freedom of religion isn't gone. You can still be Christian. You just can't decorate a few schools a certain way.
          Persecution is characterized by discrimination. In this case, the christians are being discriminated against.

When I was in school, I wasn't allowed to put up whatever I wanted all over the building. Did that mean my beliefs were being persecuted?
          If everyone else was allowed to, then yes.
          ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
          ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Secondly, what part of the nativity scene strikes you as particularly ahistorical? I believe that it is an accurate historical account.
            The shed (I don't know which word is used in the English bible) at Betlehem was definitely not as depicted, as archeologists say. Medieval artists just read the bible and imagined a shed how they knew it, but it was something really different back then. It was more like a hut, where men and animals usually lived together, so staying there was not uncommon (like sleeping where the animals are supposed to sleep is).

BTW., serving as the turning point of our year-calculation - not only for Christians but all of us - the birth of Christ is of enourmous importance, no matter what day (or year) it exactly was.

That said, society is getting completely neurotic about religion. Why should people celebrating a holiday should offend anyone?
            "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
            "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Ben -
              Ah, so now we see what Berz really believes.
              You do? Please tell me because I'm not even sure what I believe.

So you do agree that the nativity scenes are ahistorical.
              I don't know, I wasn't there. Isn't that what I said the last time you asked?

And now you do know?
              Nope, and neither do you, and neither do the NYC lawyers who are claiming the nativity depictions are inaccurate.

Comment

Oops, edited

Comment

© 2003 WorldNetDaily.com
                  Uh-huh...

And how can anyone claim that the birth of Jesus Christ is not a historical event
                  There are good reasosns to doubt that Jesus was a historical figure, and various people who claim that he was entirely mythical (the "Jesus-mythers"). Naturally, an ahistorical Jesus would not have been historically born at all. So there's some for you.

Furthermore, as discussed previously around here, there is good reason to believe that the whole Nativity story was a later addition tacked-on to the NT anyhow. Even many Christians do not consider the Nativity scene to be historically accurate.

Comment

The NY case is not about the state displaying religious symbols during the winter solstice. It is about the state permitting the people to display their religious symbols - with the exception of the Christians. I would think it would be a violation of the free exercise clause to ban religious displays during a religion's holidays. But that issue is not squarely presented. However, I think it is a blatant and outrageous violation of the free exercise clause to permit all religions to have their displays and deny the same privilege to Christians.

Don't be fooled by the "secular" nature issue. This is a ruse. All the displays are religious to the people making the displays.

In another thread, I noted that the president of the ACLU some time ago decided to take on Christmas. What you are seeing here appears to be the first fruit of her labors.

Down with the ACLU!
                    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

I don't see how the star of David or the crescent and star represents a historical event.
                      ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                      ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

It disgusts me that it's ok to display symbols for one religion in a public place but not another. Where is the Freedom of Religion in the USA. You can display any religious symbol you want in the USA as long as it is not christian.

This my friends is fascism at it's best. When they came for the gypsies, I did nothing because I am not a gypsie. When they came for the Jews I did nothing because I am not Jewish. When they came for the alternative lifestylers I did nothing because I am not gay. When they came for me they got me because there was no one left to save me.

If you want my honest opinion it's probably best not to display any religious symbols in public period. Doesn't matter whether said religion is secular or more spiritual. In USA you cannot say anything, do anything, believe in anything and make it public knowledge, without offending someone or some group. Then they take your rights away. We are slowly descending into a totalitarian state. You may call me whatever name you wish in the book but I am not going to sit idly by. I will speak up as long as I have breath in my lungs and as long as there is free speach in USA. I hate the people who hate others and wish to take away their freedoms.
                        signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Berz:

You either have authority or you don't. Makes no sense to claim you have no authority, and then to go and tell me how it is.

Wernazuma:

The shed (I don't know which word is used in the English bible) at Betlehem was definitely not as depicted, as archeologists say. Medieval artists just read the bible and imagined a shed how they knew it, but it was something really different back then.
                          Stable is the word you are looking for, where they used to house animals. Hasn't changed that much.

Jack:

Well, that's another discussion entirely. If you don't believe in a historical Jesus, than of course you are not going to believe in the Nativity.

Why don't you start another thread?
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

Stable is the word you are looking for, where they used to house animals. Hasn't changed that much.
                            In the BBC documentary I've seen (quite some time ago), it was said, that in those buildings which have been translated as stable, there was a part, where humans slept and one where the animals slept under one roof.
                            "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                            "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Probably they had a hayloft, up over the entire stable. You see these on some farms today with big stables.

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker

Christmas is a pagan observance, from the X-mas tree on down to Santa Claus and the yule log. And no serious researcher would claim Jesus was born on Dec 25, a date falling suspiciously ~3 days after the winter solstice as the sun first makes it's northward climb toward spring, the same day as a Roman observance...hmm... I mention this only because many Christians look down their noses at pagans.

My religion involves cannabis, will they let me bring thy holy bong and sacramental bud? Well, I'm sure there are Rastafarians in NY... But their religion has been outlawed by Christians and Christians are complaining about religious persecution? But hey, if it isn't the 10 Commandments it's nativity scenes. When these zealous restorers of the true faith say the depiction of Jesus' birth is not historically accurate, aren't they saying Christianity is somewhat of a false religion? That seems to be message... It doesn't matter if the depiction is an accurate portrayal of the birth of Christ, only that some/most Christians accept it as at least a symbolic if not historical depiction . But by all means, let the city of NY inform Christians everywhere just what would constitute an accurate depiction. Strange position for city bureaucrats to be putting themselves in, they will decide if your religion is historically accurate.
                                Hey super genius -- I was not talking about the DATE that Jesus Christ was born. But if we Christians have chosen a date based on traditons and custom, there is no harm with that.

MY QUESTION WAS

how can people claim that Jesus was never born at all -- it WAS an actual historic event, regardless of WHEN it happened.

And saying that "Christians are being persecuted" is sensationalizing this incident. But clearly, Christians are being pushed into the mud while the jerks leave Muslim and Jewish symbols to shine.
                                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                                X