No announcement yet.

Rite of Christian Initiation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protestant Episcopal Church of the United States of America.

Thanks Dr. S.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Well Ben, happy to see you'll be part of the collective soon.

I joined a little church in Lafayette NJ that had split from, erm, the Presbys I think. The Lafayette Federated Church. ( Yes, I belong to the Federation) Anyway, the Presbys had initiated women as preachers, and the folks didn't feel that was quite biblical. I agree, and am glad to still belong to a church that followed biblical teachings, rather than the modern diety of PC. One of the things I like about the Catholics is the no PC BS attitude, though there is preasure, particularly from here in the US.

Anyway, I saw someone initiated into the Catholic church near my Philippine home, a little baby, and am pleased to be the kids godfather. I think gives me a licence to kill, though theologians may debate that. Neat old Spanish church built 500 yrs ago.

There was some pomp, robes and smoke pots and water splashed about (if you become a Catholic I'm counting on you to work for full immersion baptism, and expect some action in the near future!) and iirc the priest said a few words over me and others that were to be godparents.
      Then that was it.

When I joined my church they didn't have their own baptism pool, so we borrowed the local Baptist church pool. A few friends were there, I was in the pool, in a long black moo moo, with the pastor of my church. He said a few things about baptism, putting on the spiritual, you know, then I got dunked. After I dried off and got my hand shook by my buds, a kiss on the cheek from a girl that liked me, had coffee and donuts, and that was it.

Bible says it's the thing to do.

Hope I helped.
      Long time member @ Apolyton
      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Lancer:

One of the things I like about the Catholics is the no PC BS attitude, though there is preasure, particularly from here in the US.
        I must say that's one of the things that make them more attractive than say the Anglicans, but Mennonites are pretty resistant as well. There have been suggestions, but I don't think that they will ever have women preaching.

if you become a Catholic I'm counting on you to work for full immersion baptism, and expect some action in the near future!
        I'd decline. I've already been baptised by full immersion, the whole dunking bit in the Mennonite church. The Catholics would not want to baptise me again.

Well Ben, happy to see you'll be part of the collective soon.
        Not sure. Lots of stuff to work out.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthelion
          is it true that when Jewish kids are circed, the guy doing it sucks blood out of their pee?
          ive heard of that, but only in the negative (reform explicity saying this is something we DONT do). at the circumcisions ive attended this was never done, though i dont think ive ever been to a strictly orthodox one.

Sorry to disappoint.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

If you and yours ever want to go to the Phils Ben, let me know. You can stay at our place. Lots of nice old Spanish churches, most everyone is Catholic. The way the people express their faith is really fun. Interested?

Comment

You can stay at our place. Lots of nice old Spanish churches, most everyone is Catholic. The way the people express their faith is really fun. Interested?
              Interested? Yes. Timing's not good right now. I'm sure my girlfriend would be thrilled to go.

Comment

God willing we'll be going September '04. Man, I can't wait. We'll be staying for either 8 months or a year and 8 months. We might be getting married in the local church. Lots of ceremony, big party after with lots of food. We were civil married the first time around, which does the job, but...

You and your gf might enjoy that too.

We're not sure if it will make it into the plan, as we have other things we want to do too. Hope so.

Comment

We might be getting married in the local church. Lots of ceremony, big party after with lots of food. We were civil married the first time around, which does the job, but...
                  I'll bet you can't wait.

Like I said before, I'd have to save up, though when I graduate, likely this year, I would no longer have tuition payments and school to work around.

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
                    We also have some married non-convert priests, priests from the Eastern Rites.(not talking about Orthodox, there are some Eastern Rite communities that are in communion with Rome)
                    This is true. There is a very prevalent Ukrainian Catholic (not Orthodox) community in Western Canada (East-Central Alberta is a hotspot in particular). There is a rite that you can join to become a married priest; I actually know someone who's doing it... Sadly, I can't remember the name of that rite.

But I can tell you it wasn't the Basilians. They marry not... but they do have museums. Good for them.
                    "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
                    "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
                    "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

Working...
                    X