Clear All

it involves circumcision with a less than sharp kitchen knife

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthelion
      it involves circumcision with a less than sharp kitchen knife
      Not true.

In case that wasn't obvious.
      Unfairly Banned at Civfanatics twice...
      To protest the war I am using the UN Flag - Howard has said most Australians are for the war so clearly I am not an Aussie.

Comment

ah circumcision - at last a sensible threadjack
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

"The ban on catholic priests marrying has NOTHING to do with scripture or religion."

Correct, that is a discipline of the Church, not a moral rule.

"no its a still a rule."

Alexander's Horse is correct on this one, while abstaining from meat on Friday is no longer mandatory, you are supposed to do some other form of penance if you don't abstain from meat. As a practical matter though, few Catholics in this country follow this rule.
          "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
            Alexander's Horse is correct on this one, while abstaining from meat on Friday is no longer mandatory, you are supposed to do some other form of penance if you don't abstain from meat. As a practical matter though, few Catholics in this country follow this rule.
            Woah, I'd only ever been told you no longer had to go without meat - I'd never been told you had to do something else. I better start doing something.
            Unfairly Banned at Civfanatics twice...
            To protest the war I am using the UN Flag - Howard has said most Australians are for the war so clearly I am not an Aussie.

Comment

was the assumption of the Virgin into heaven.
              And on very dubious theological grounds. Vatican I really drove the two groups apart.

Vatican II is much nicer though.

Fish on Fridays?

I knew about lent, but I've never heard of this practice.
              I remember taking up lunch during lent to my g/f, we both lived in the same dorm. Cheeseburgers. I had no idea about lent, so she had to promptly refuse.

Boy was I embarrassed.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

As a practical matter though, few Catholics in this country follow this rule.

Depends on the area . In Jersey DON'T order a pizza on a Friday night during lent... all the Catholics get pizza then .
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

*hits head*

Ah right, the relaxation of the no-eating meat during Fridays rule only applies during non-lent. During lent the no eating meat during fridays rule is still pretty well followed, it's just the non-lent time when Catholics become more lax.

Comment

Wait... you guys aren't supposed to eat meat on Fridays AT ALL? Not just during lent?
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Re: Rite of Christian Initiation

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                      Might be a better PM, but I'm interested in hearing more about the Rite of Christian Intiation for Adults.
                      Something about goat's blood and playing records backwards....
                      "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Eh, where's that "don't feed the troll" picture?
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                          Wait... you guys aren't supposed to eat meat on Fridays AT ALL? Not just during lent?
                          Before the Second Vatican Council, no. Now we have the option of doing some other form of penance on Friday. However, to my know most Catholics(Including myslef usually. I am not as good a Catholic as I should be, I admit) don't do any special penance on Friday when it is not lent.

Comment

Those rules are promulgated by the national councils of bishops. It might vary from Australia to the US, for instance.
                            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

not to mention the masons
                              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse

Good question. AFAIK baptism does not need to be redone if you belong to a mainstream church.

One interesting sidelight of this is the catholic church does have some married priests - convert priests from the Episcopalian/Anglican congregations. Their ordinations did not need to be redone AFAIK.
                                With the recent controversy AKA the ordination of the gay bishop in New Hampshire there may be a lot more of that happening soon. I don't know if PECUSA will survive this year.
                                "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Working...
                                X