Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

Eldan:

Good. I'd rather not have to be baptised a third time.
    Already been baptised twice ??? I thought no christian denomination baptised you when you were already baptised in another but I guess I'm wrong
    Unfairly Banned at Civfanatics twice...
    To protest the war I am using the UN Flag - Howard has said most Australians are for the war so clearly I am not an Aussie.

Comment

Mennonites re-baptise, because they require believer's baptism. They used to get burned for this long ago.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

my church accepts some baptisms and not others

not sure what the difference is (I doubt if we accept Catholic ones)

note that this has fairly little bearing, the only person I knew who had troubels with this (did not want to rebaptise) was very active in the church (She was upset about the issue, but it did not limit what she could do, to my knowledge)

Jon miller
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
          Does it apply to anyone seeking to convert to Roman Catholiism? I thought that Episcopals and Anglicans had only to renounce the Queen in favor of the Stuart pretender.
          Good question. AFAIK baptism does not need to be redone if you belong to a mainstream church.

One interesting sidelight of this is the catholic church does have some married priests - convert priests from the Episcopalian/Anglican congregations. Their ordinations did not need to be redone AFAIK.
          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

One interesting sidelight of this is the catholic church does have some married priests - convert priests from the Episcopalian/Anglican congregations. Their ordinations did not need to be redone AFAIK.

Interesting. Do they have to remain celebate after their conversion or can they continue to have sex with the wife?
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Interesting. Do they have to remain celebate after their conversion or can they continue to have sex with the wife?
              They can continue to have sex in this instance. We also have some married non-convert priests, priests from the Eastern Rites.(not talking about Orthodox, there are some Eastern Rite communities that are in communion with Rome)
              "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

When was the last infalliable teaching of the Pope? They tend to refrain from speaking infalliably.
                The last formal exercise of infallibilty as set according to the procedure of Vatican I IIRC was the assumption of the Virgin into heaven. What other teachings of the Church are infallible tends to be a matter of theological debate.
                "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

The ban on catholic priests marrying has NOTHING to do with scripture or religion.

Its similar to the eating fish on friday business
                  Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                  Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Originally posted by TheStinger
                    Its similar to the eating fish on friday business
                    That is no longer banned, it hasn't been for a few years IIRC
                    To protest the war I am using the UN Flag - Howard has said most Australians are for the war so clearly I am not an Aussie.

Comment

It was IIRC never banned, it was compulsory for catholics(although I'm not sure how it was policed) and it had nothing to do with the bible or scripture
                      Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                      Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Originally posted by TheStinger
                        It was IIRC never banned, it was compulsory for catholics(although I'm not sure how it was policed) and it had nothing to do with the bible or scripture
                        I meant the "No meat on friday" rule is no longer compulsory, I typed banned by mistake.

BTW - It was no meat on friday - most people had Fish and Chips but that was never compulsory IIRC.

Comment

If you don't refrain from meat you're supposed to another penance.

My favorite is having beer with lunch
                          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                            If you don't refrain from meat you're supposed to another penance.

My favorite is having beer with lunch
                            As I said that is no longer a rule.

Comment

no its a still a rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                                no its a still a rule.
                                I have been told it isn't by multiple reliable sources.

Comment

Working...
                                X