Is there any reason to be a good person? I see no justice in the world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GePap
    Or you can be like the Epicurians, and try to live for pleasure.
    As long as one doesn't confuse it with Hedonism. Epicureans didn't see the pleasure in temporary fulfilment of physical desire, but rather as a maximization of a pleasure that lies in a psychological and physical equilibrium and is not subject of emotional tides.
    Epicureans are closer to Stoics than to hedonists. Popular tradition did not do justice to this philosophy.
    "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
    "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

The way I see it you are your own justice, i.e., you should be more concerned with treating others justly and compassionately than asking for justice and compassion from them.
      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

why does talk about morals, when Americans are involved, always end up being about religion?

Comment

Because Americans still have religious principles, you sheep-screwing euro-trash.
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

The antecedents of Aztec and Chinese (Shang) culture were well in place by 3000 BCE.
            As were the antecedents to the Irish and Canadian cultures.

At any rate, the Tower of Babel is completely at odds with linguistic theory and what we know of how language evolved.
            Boris:

These assume no worldwide flood occurred. The Babel story comes after the flood has narrowed the number of people so that all survivors would speak a common language.

Mind you, my date is certainly not definite, relying upon a closed geneology, which is not necessarily a safe bet, even within biblical interpretation.

Have you read any linguistic theory outside of Creationist sources?
            Not my area of specialty, although I have done some work with etymology.

UR:

Archeological digs confirmed that the Chinese entered agricultural society at ~5000 BCE.
            Any indications of the language spoken?
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

'Is there any reason to being good? I see no justice in the world'

Read Republic by Plato
              eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Comment

I can still highly recommend nihilism. And thanks for calling us bastards.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                  Because Americans still have religious principles, you sheep-screwing euro-trash.
                  hahahahaha

THAT is my new sig!

Comment

you have no sig.

Comment

Originally posted by obiwan18
                      So why is littering bad?
                      Because I don't like it. It is a matter of personal preference.

I'd call it part of my "Social Contract", but I dislike Rousseau enough to not use his expression.

The Sieve of Societies ensures that Social Contracts that don't work get discarded. Idiocy and Genius ensure that Social Contracts continuously mutate.

That was quick. You have that memorised or what?
                      Yes, by now I must have proven my inability to come up with elaborate sentence structures on the fly and to improv philosophical statements.
                      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                      X